• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven not well-antacid doses??

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
I posted details on his thread, trying for over a day, yet unable to get vet care for raven-not even from non-rabbit vets.
Will not repeat here.
What antacid can he have and what dosage mg/kg to protect from/help gastric ulcer as he continues with medicam.
He is stable now,eating dandelion greens, nibbling hay and drinking again. He looks pale and poo darker yet no visible blood.
While I know this not for vet questions , I would appreciate knowing your experience with currently avail otc antacids/stomach protecter for your bunnies.

Is Ranitidine still available in the USA ? It has been withdrawn from sale here but the dose rate my Rabbits were given when it was available was 2mg-5mg/kg orally every 12 hours.

Cimetidine is still available here and the dose rate my Vet prescribed is 5mg-10mg/kg every 8-12 hours

I don’t know if Omeprazole or Lansoprazole can be given to Rabbits.

I was going to ask about the metacam too. Does he really need it? I wouldn't use it if I suspected my rabbit might be bleeding internally.

I also don't know about omeperazole and rabbits but I do know the one Jenna takes must be specially prepared to contain no xylitol. It's also hard on the kidneys.

I'm sorry you're finding no joy with the vets. It does sound very worrying. Sending many vibes for Raven's recovery. xxxxx

Is Ranitidine still available in the USA ? It has been withdrawn from sale here but the dose rate my Rabbits were given when it was available was 2mg-5mg/kg orally every 12 hours.

Cimetidine is still available here and the dose rate my Vet prescribed is 5mg-10mg/kg every 8-12 hours

I don’t know if Omeprazole or Lansoprazole can be given to Rabbits.

Thanks for replying. Ranitidine withdrawn nere too.
Drugstore I stopped at not have Cimetidine, yet will check others.
I saw a couple others, Omeprazole, Famotidine, and Gaviscon-aluminum hydrate/magnesian carbonate. Also Tums and Rolaids-calcium something, . I saw dose on Gaviscon, yet will try to get Cimetidine here.

I reluctantly gave Medicam after 30 hours, yet gave with syringe feeds.

He did not get motility meds. I forgot which one impacts stomach more-metaclop or cisapride and want to not give it-though he may need one.

He is off fluids.

I was going to ask about the metacam too. Does he really need it? I wouldn't use it if I suspected my rabbit might be bleeding internally.

I also don't know about omeperazole and rabbits but I do know the one Jenna takes must be specially prepared to contain no xylitol. It's also hard on the kidneys.

I'm sorry you're finding no joy with the vets. It does sound very worrying. Sending many vibes for Raven's recovery. xxxxx
I thought about stopping madicam, then gave after 30 hours with critical care. He just started eating greens.
Not sure if bleed or not, yet want him safe.
Rabbit vets in short supply.

Metoclopramide increases the rate at which the stomach empties, Cisapride increases hind gut motility.

Also, there is this if you are still unable to get diagnostics from a Vet

https://www.mountainside-medical.com/products/fecal-occult-blood-stool-test-kit-guaiac-slides

You are so wonderful, as usual.
Thank you for info on gut meds and the link for occult blood tests.
I just got Cimetidine 200mg tablets, so will calculate dose for him. I probably need to make a liquid then divide that because he will need such a small portion of each tablet.
Vets are hard to get on weekends and with monday being our national labor day holiday, we may be his only option.
He is stable,yet still fragile.

You are so wonderful, as usual.
Thank you for info on gut meds and the link for occult blood tests.
I just got Cimetidine 200mg tablets, so will calculate dose for him. I probably need to make a liquid then divide that because he will need such a small portion of each tablet.
Vets are hard to get on weekends and with monday being our national labor day holiday, we may be his only option.
He is stable,yet still fragile.

Glad that you were able to obtain Cimetidine :)

Glad that you were able to obtain Cimetidine :)

Thank you for sharing your experience. He got his first dose at lower end of range. I disolved a 200mg pill in 4ml water to make 50mg/ml solution and he got 0.12ml so he got about 6mg as a 1.2kg bun. He was a very good boy. Now I hope he will continue to eat some greens and nibble enough hay to poo so I do not need to give motility meds. He is resting this afternoon.

Back