• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven dental 12/20/22 update post 204

I'm glad he's eating a little more and being more active, and that his eye is better. That's really good! I'm sorry he's still not eating enough, though. He must still be sore, poor boy. Sending him lots more recovery vibes.

Thank you friends.

Overnight he ate the dandelion greens he got before I went to sleep, yet left the greens from carrots which means spouse got organic carrots with dinner. I gave Raven some more dandelion greens for lunch.
I did not give him syringe feeds last night and he did not get fluids for past couple days either. However he still is not drinking his normal amount so I am monitoring his hydration and poo and will restart them if needed. Though it may just be the result of him not eating his normal amount.

Last edited:
Aw, I'm sorry he's not interested in the carrot greens. I'm glad he ate the dandelion greens, at least. I'm sorry he's not drinking his usual amount, too... It sounds like you're keeping a close eye on him, so he's getting the best care. Sending your little Raven more eating vibes. :love:

Aw, I'm sorry he's not interested in the carrot greens. I'm glad he ate the dandelion greens, at least. I'm sorry he's not drinking his usual amount, too... It sounds like you're keeping a close eye on him, so he's getting the best care. Sending your little Raven more eating vibes. :love:

Thank you reader. I stopped syringe feeds for a day to see if he would eat more and he was not eating enough. So he got syringe fed this past night and ate them faster than usual. He is always on medicam and is going to stay on motility meds over the weekend to keep things out moving until he eats more hay. I am taking comfort in knowing he is making small improvements each day, yet hope his progress was faster.

Thank you reader. I stopped syringe feeds for a day to see if he would eat more and he was not eating enough. So he got syringe fed this past night and ate them faster than usual. He is always on medicam and is going to stay on motility meds over the weekend to keep things out moving until he eats more hay. I am taking comfort in knowing he is making small improvements each day, yet hope his progress was faster.
That sounds good that you gave him some syringe feed since he wasn't eating enough on his own. Sounds like he's pretty hungry if he ate it faster than usual. I'm glad he's improving a bit each day, but I definitely understand that you wish his progress was faster.

Zoobsc, Pets Mum, Reader of Books,

Thank you. He ate dandelion greens overnight again. I wonder if he does better overnight because of the timing of medicam and motility meds, and they wear off by morning. I may split medicam dose to every 12 hours.

Zoobsc, Pets Mum, Reader of Books,

Thank you. He ate dandelion greens overnight again. I wonder if he does better overnight because of the timing of medicam and motility meds, and they wear off by morning. I may split medicam dose to every 12 hours.

this sounds a good plan - i thin most uk vets do split dose. i also think they eat more at night generally. hope he is eating sticks soon

this sounds a good plan - i thin most uk vets do split dose. i also think they eat more at night generally. hope he is eating sticks soon

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your vibes. He tried to eat a treat stick piece and ate a little bit before he stopped, so I crumbled the rest in his food bowl.
His poo is a bit smaller so I need to syringe feed him more often too.
Activity wise he is back to his normal self.

Two weeks post dental my boy begged for a treat stick when he saw me waking up and ate a large piece. On Wednesday he ate one large piece in the morning and came for another one in the evening. It was comforting to hear the crunching noise!

Raven was scheduled for a preemptive dental this morning, yet yesterday I cancelled it and rescheduled it three weeks later.
After his last dental he took almost two weeks to eat enough to not need syringe feeds, unlike his prior dental. With my knee replacement surgery scheduled in 6 days, I was concerned he could have required syringe feeding when I was unable to provide them, and Raven would not cooperate with my spouse like he does for me.
I struggled with this decision and question if it was the right one, or if I should have rescheduled for the 13th which is the week after my surgery. Today he was chewing the newspaper in his litter box, not eating it, which is something he does prior to needing a dental, then he came to me to get a piece of treat stick which is very hard. He even begged for another piece and ate it quickly.

I am already stressed about my own surgery, so may be overthinking Raven's dental. Even so, I would appreciate if you could offer me some reassurance.

This is a difficult decision, where you're working with possibilities and probabilities without very much being definite. I think it's impossible to say whether in time it will be seen to have been the right decision. I can only say to you that it's the decision I would have made, without a doubt, with the facts that you have at the moment.

You are right in thinking that a dental today would very probably have resulted in having to give Raven syringe feeds for about two weeks, based on past experience. That would not have been possible for you immediately after your knee surgery. That would have been a problem, that by delaying, you have avoided.

You will clearly be anxious about your surgery, in addition to being anxious about Raven needing a dental. If he's asking for treat sticks, he is probably not at the stage when he is desperately needing a dental now. So three weeks later will give you about two weeks post surgery, which should be just about doable for you to give syringe feeds?

I presume also that if the situation with Raven becomes urgent, you could rearrange a dental. But then you would be doing so, with the knowledge that you really had no other option and then you would have to try to manage the syringe feeds between you and your husband, depending on how you are and how long after your surgery it becomes necessary.

I repeat it's a very hard decision to make, but in my view it's the best one in the circumstances.

Sending lots of hugs. Joint replacement surgery is no picnic.

Back