• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven stasis and dental update post 38

Hopefully the Vet will be aware of the need to adjust the GA protocol for Raven to take into account how frequently he needs them and the fact that his recovery from each one can be slow. I would certainly want him to have supportive IV fluids up and running. Topping up the vibes for him x

Thanks Jane,
Shortly before I read this he got a good amount of subQ fluids so he was very well hydrated. I reminded vet that Raven is sensitive to sedation, and he already had it on his chart . Vet only gets him minimum amount of time with gas anesthesia.
Overnight he was nibbling hay and alfalfa and he ate some greens after I gave him syringe feeds, medicam and motility meds. This morning he made small poo in his carrier which vet noticed before saying his gut sounds were still slow. He was close to needing more syringe feeds and motility meds, yet I did not want to give anything before his dental, which I told vet.
Raven has had seven dentals since July 2022, so I asked vet about pre scheduling his next one. We will decide after his dental today.
I hate to pre schedule and take him when he is still eating well, yet I worry I may not be able to get him seen quickly enough next time.
He lost a little weight since I weighed him a few weeks ago, so hopefully he will gain it back.
Fingers crossed.

I remember that stress of thinking about pre booking dentals & can see some advantages. I'm wishing you shiny boy a super quick recovery from this dental

All the positive energy helped. Raven is home! He was eating at the vets and came home for some more dandelion and carrot greens I purchased today.
His poo is very small, so I will give him time to settle before giving any motility meds or syringe feeds.
Vet and I decided to pre schedule his next dental in six weeks from today, an average of his last two dentals.
He gets points on his upper molars at the gum line that go straight toward the cheeks, and his lower molars get points on the tongue side that go straight upwards. The points are so thin he broke a couple himself. He had only a little irritation on his cheeks so I was glad he got in before it was worse.
His weight was stable since his last visit, and I asked vet to recalculated maximum medicam dosage just for my own future information, and even the higher dose I gave him the past few days is well below the max.

Hopefully he won’t need prokinetics for too much longer so his gut motility doesn’t become dependent on them. Sending lots more vibes x

Hopefully he won’t need prokinetics for too much longer so his gut motility doesn’t become dependent on them. Sending lots more vibes x
Thank you for the reminder about dependency. That may be why he does best when I taper the motility meds off over a few days which I began yesterday.

Last edited:
Raven has been off sub q fluids and motility meds for two days. He is getting a syringe feeding each day to help with his weight. He takes it well. This morning he was eating a few of his pellets so that should help too.

Back