• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven dental 12/20/22 update post 204

Omi, Thank you for taking so much time to help me process this situation.
Perhaps my biggest issue is not knowing how I will fare with my knee replacement surgery. I know I will be much worse after surgery, plus it is a painful operation so I will need to be on strong pain meds.
I presume I will be well enough to give him care after a week or so if spouse would be able to take off work and deliver him to me for syringe feeds, fluids, and meds multiple times per day.
Raven lives upstairs, so I will need my spouse to monitor his eating, pooping, drinking on my behalf in order to assess Raven's dental health, and I hope he is up to the task. Spouse is good with the other bunnies, yet Raven has subtle signs when he is unwell and he deteriorates quickly without intervention. Though this may give me motivation to do my physical therapy so I can go upstairs to see my Raven! Heidi, my mini rex, is upstsirs too, yet she is easier to assess. Though it is so relaxing to pet her soft fur.

Tonibun, Thank you too.

I have no experience with this but Raven's easy eating of the hard treat stick and begging for it again definitely sounds positive. :) You can be sure of that, but of course you still know Raven's behavior best, you know how he feels or not. But if he was feeling totally down, he wouldn't have given you this positive sign.
I'm sending lots of vibrations for both you and Raven xxx

Could Ravn be moved downstairs when you first come home from Hospital. You might feel less anxious knowing you are able to be observing his subtle behaviour changes that indicate a Dental could be needed. Then you might not be stressing so much know about not booking him in for a Dental prior to your op', which by the sound of things probably isn't yet needed.

I have no experience with this but Raven's easy eating of the hard treat stick and begging for it again definitely sounds positive. :) You can be sure of that, but of course you still know Raven's behavior best, you know how he feels or not. But if he was feeling totally down, he wouldn't have given you this positive sign.
I'm sending lots of vibrations for both you and Raven xxx

Thanks for the positive thoughts.

Could Ravn be moved downstairs when you first come home from Hospital. You might feel less anxious knowing you are able to be observing his subtle behaviour changes that indicate a Dental could be needed. Then you might not be stressing so much know about not booking him in for a Dental prior to your op', which by the sound of things probably isn't yet needed.
Thank you for agreeing he probably does not need a dental yet.

I likely will not have space for Raven downstairs once I put a walker, commode, borrowed arm chair, and other items in my living area which already includes my lionheads.

The physical therapist comes to the home a couple times a week at first to assess my progress, provide exercises I need to do on my own-in my living area- and to change my wound dressing. It will be interesting how he or she views my bunnies.

Though you got me thinking that Raven could be put in the pet carrier we use for the vet to come downstairs to visit me.

Last edited:
Thank you for agreeing he probably does not need a dental yet.

I likely will not have space for Raven downstairs once I put a walker, commode, borrowed arm chair, and other items in my living area which already includes my lionheads.

The physical therapist comes to the home a couple times a week at first to assess my progress, provide exercises I need to do on my own-in my living area- and to change my wound dressing. It will be interesting how he or she views my bunnies.

Though you got me thinking that Raven could be put in the pet carrier we use for the vet to come downstairs to visit me.

Ah, I see. Then bringing Raven into the room could be tricky not only due to space but his presence might set off some squabbles between the Lionheads. You don’t need any additional stress

How about a webcam ? I am not implying that your Spouse isn’t able to monitor Raven well, but if you are anything like me you could feel that no-one can pick up on really subtle signs of a problem better than you can. I am just trying to think of ways to reduce your stress about Raven as worrying about him could impeded your recovery from surgery.

A friend had a hip replacement about 18 months ago. She said the Physio had her up and about using a frame before the full effects of the GA had worn off !! She moaned about the physio being so pushy at the time, but now she says she is glad he was as she made a brilliant and rapid recovery from her surgery. She is back to playing Netball 3 times a week, swimming and playing Tennis. So if your Physio is a bit of an ogre it might be for the greater good in the longterm !!

Ah, I see. Then bringing Raven into the room could be tricky not only due to space but his presence might set off some squabbles between the Lionheads. You don’t need any additional stress

How about a webcam ? I am not implying that your Spouse isn’t able to monitor Raven well, but if you are anything like me you could feel that no-one can pick up on really subtle signs of a problem better than you can. I am just trying to think of ways to reduce your stress about Raven as worrying about him could impeded your recovery from surgery.

A friend had a hip replacement about 18 months ago. She said the Physio had her up and about using a frame before the full effects of the GA had worn off !! She moaned about the physio being so pushy at the time, but now she says she is glad he was as she made a brilliant and rapid recovery from her surgery. She is back to playing Netball 3 times a week, swimming and playing Tennis. So if your Physio is a bit of an ogre it might be for the greater good in the longterm !!

Jane,
I never thought moving Raven could disturb the bond between Amber and Zorro. It is probably too late to get a webcam, even if I could figure it out, though you gave me an idea . Spouse could take a video of Raven and show it to me.

The surgeon puts local anesthetic in before ga wears off so patient can do pt right after surgery before leaving for home. The pain gets worse when it wears off. They will send ne home with a device that pumps ice water through a cuff wrapped around my leg, and some pain relief meds. I have to go up a few steps to get into house, yet it is unlikely I can go upstairs with 13 steps first couple days. Doctor said up and down 1x day after that is the goal. I worry about falling .

If you have a couple of mobile phones, you could set up a sort of video call where you leave a phone on the upstairs bunny and you can watch from downstairs for a while.

If you have a couple of mobile phones, you could set up a sort of video call where you leave a phone on the upstairs bunny and you can watch from downstairs for a while.

That is a gotd thought, yet one mobile.Thank you for trying to help.

A webcam is a good idea, I got mine from Amazon on prime so it came next day and was installed very easily. I hope everything goes well for you xx

A webcam is a good idea, I got mine from Amazon on prime so it came next day and was installed very easily. I hope everything goes well for you xx

Thank you. My sore throat came back four days after ending a course of abx for sore throat, laryngitis and start of bronchitis. I hope another round will keep it from getting worse this time and I will be back to normal again by Monday.

A few days after surgery I was able to go upstairs and visit Raven. His dental was rescheduled to Dec 20, yet he was happily coming for treats, quickly eating his greens, drinking enough and making decent poo. He has slowed in hay eating though. I was wavering on getting his dental so spoke to vet. We decided to keep his dental on 12/20 rather than have him decline over holidays, or during a snow or ice storm. I cannot take him myself so spouse will take Raven. I hope Raven will be as calm with him during his exam as he is with me. We would appreciate vibes he does well.

That sounds sensible, nothing worse than having a sick pet during holiday or bad weather. I'm sure Raven will behave with your hubby. I will be thinking of him and sending lots of vibes, and for you too of course xxx

Thank you friends. Hubby is afraid of Raven, since Raven can be territorial.I may have him practice holding Raven for his exam like I do. Hubby loves Raven, yet thinks he know best.

I am sure the two Bucks will cope. Raven might try it on more with your Hubby as Raven will sense that your Hubby is wary of him. If there are any problems during the examination then the Vet can call in a Vet Tech to assist :)

Back