• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven dental 8/1/23 ulcers on cheeks

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Raven had his last dental five weeks ago. Today's dental showed he had thin needle sharp points growing straight from gum line of his upper molars on both sides of his mouth. This time he had ulcers on both cheeks. Vet said Raven's points and tooth growth are unusual for a bunny and his upper molars tip and wear to the gumline.
Raven maintained his weight so that was good, though he has been getting syringe feeding of critical care on most days.
Raven is such a good patient and he enjoys the attention. He was enjoying his greens and nibbling a few pieces of hay.
He is back on abx for ear infection because he lost his balance twice on Sunday and I saw he had some horizontal nystagmus a day earlier when he also lost his balance.

Poor Raven :cry:
Did the Vet take any skull radiographs this time given that he is exhibiting symptoms of middle ear disease ?

I hope that he will be feeling a lot better soon and that the GA won’t have worsened his vestibular symptoms x

Thank you for sharing your expertise.
No skull x-rays were done yesterday. Vet mentioned cat scan, yet said it would not change Raven's treatment. He is so sensitive to sedation that he is under ga for as short a period as necessary for his dentals.
Raven has kept his balance since he got home.
How long do you think it will take for the ulcers on his cheeks to heal?

Thank you for sharing your expertise.
No skull x-rays were done yesterday. Vet mentioned cat scan, yet said it would not change Raven's treatment. He is so sensitive to sedation that he is under ga for as short a period as necessary for his dentals.
Raven has kept his balance since he got home.
How long do you think it will take for the ulcers on his cheeks to heal?

Ulcers usually heal within 2-3 days once the cause has been removed.

Oh, poor boy. Those needle-sharp point he always gets must feel so awful in his mouth. I'm sorry he has ulcers on his cheeks this time, too. I hope they'll heal quickly. I'm sorry he's been losing his balance as well... I hope the antibiotics will help with that. Sending your little Raven so many vibes.

Jane,Zoobec,Reader, Omi,
Thank you for thinking of my little soldier.
Raven ate more greens and pellets. He nibbles hay so expect he will eat more once the ulcers heal.

I'm glad he's eating his greens and pellets, and nibbling his hay. I hope he'll feel comfortable enough to eat more hay soon, and that he hasn't lost his balance again. Sending more vibes for him. :love:

I'm glad he's eating his greens and pellets, and nibbling his hay. I hope he'll feel comfortable enough to eat more hay soon, and that he hasn't lost his balance again. Sending more vibes for him. :love:

Thank you. He has not lost his balance, yet he seems to be moving slower than normal.

its good Raven knows he needs all the care and is such a good patient:love: I hope those ulcers are healing up well. Lots of vibes for your shiny boy

its good Raven knows he needs all the care and is such a good patient:love: I hope those ulcers are healing up well. Lots of vibes for your shiny boy
Thank you. He seems to enjoy the attention which makes caring for him part of our special time.
He is eating greens now. I find the sound of a crunchy bunny soothing.

Back