• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please can Joey & Boo have some get well vibes

That sounds so incredibly cute :love: :love:

Does he like Ellas Kitchen baby food? Maybe you could try crushing up pellets (if they eat them) into a little baby food and microwave it a little so it's luke warm? I used to do this with stasis buns in hospital.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That sounds so incredibly cute :love: :love:

Does he like Ellas Kitchen baby food? Maybe you could try crushing up pellets (if they eat them) into a little baby food and microwave it a little so it's luke warm? I used to do this with stasis buns in hospital.

I think I will try him on a nugget feed rather than CC- maybe my Joey just doesn't like whatever makes it smell so strongly of aniseed

They had Ellas Kitchen earlier in the week, they are now on Aldi version (still just organic fruit) xx

Hopefully he likes he nugget food. Some buns just don't like the CC (not that I can blame him... it does taste bad)

Just tried a simple sci sel pellets ground with tiny snippets of coriander & finely grated pear. Joey took it a little better:thumb:

Boo was very appreciative. You only need to put the syringe near Boos mouth & when you're refilling it she gobbles up any remains from her fur. She did refuse the same offering from a plate. My baby piglet. I don't understand why the poo is still so little, Joeys yes but not Boos.

I present them with a food offering every hour or so, I bet he is getting well peed off with me interupting his sleepy time. Then moving them when they are resting so I can tell which poo is from which rabbit while its still warm

Has boo been eating more hay? that's what will bulk the poo out more.

I'm glad joey prefers his mummy's home made food :)

Weirdly enough he does lick my jumper when I've finished trying to feed him & my jumper is plastered in CC. Joey is not normally into grooming other species. Explain that one ;)
Ha ha, maybe try it on a cat sctratching thing?! XD

I don't understand why the poo is still so little, Joeys yes but not Boos.

I present them with a food offering every hour or so, I bet he is getting well peed off with me interupting his sleepy time. Then moving them when they are resting so I can tell which poo is from which rabbit while its still warm
Poo-wise, mine often habe really tiny poos for a while when they don't eat hay. In summer, when they eat about 10% of the hay they're supposed to because they're filling up on grass, it's about 1/4 the size it is in winter. I tend to look at shape as well as size: some of Lopsy's when he was scared by Bandit (next-door's curious cat) were small and pointy, like little seeds. So as DP says, if she's filing up on CC it will still be small :)

Poor Joey, having to be woken up! Mine are hilarious when they're sleepy but I've got treats XD They try and secrete it away under themselves for later :roll: Not easily done with CC though ;P

I'm sorry that Joey is slow to recover - maybe his poohs are tiny because he's still taking mainly CC.
Marie Kubiac (vet) gave forage to hospitalised stasis buns We've had some amazing responses both there, & on RU.
It's not easy to get at this time of year. Fresh tree twigs are often taken when the GI tract starts to get going a bit (fibre to speed it up.) Apple pear etc & blackcurrent, willow. The tree leaves often help to start them off, brambles & dethorned briars, raspberry leaves, apple leaves, & blackthorn leaves are a great favourite. Re herbs we can buy dill, coriander, flat parsley, occasionally rosemary
I know you can't get much at this time of year, but if you put a thread on diet, & ask for a small selection of forage because of these issues, my experience of foragers is that they are very generous & helpful people.
I'd try this 1st.
ETA this thread may give you some ideas. Some of the buns had very difficult GI problems http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ried-given-your-stasis-prone-buns-tree-leaves

As an outside bear in mind to ask Mark is that domperidone can cause very strong contractions painful in higher doses. Diagnosis is by ultrasound which shows the gut moving & doesn't need a GA for most rabbits. On the other hand we don't want to stress out Joey un necessarily.

Last edited:
Thanks Keletkezes - they are nothing like their spring & summer poo which is mainly forage. ,

Thanks also Thumps - I have dried apple (only leaves now), hawthorn, blackthorn, willowherb, geranium, dog rose, plantain, raspberry, vetch (from memory, I may have some others). I try them on a selection each night. Its hard to tell who is eating what when its dried, especially as Mouse gets all excited & jumps across the tray a million times. I tried Joey on dried separately to investigate but he is even less keen to eat without his wives. He is eating hay half heartedly.

Mine have never taken CC willingly.

I'd go along with what Thumps said. Have you got anywhere close where you could find some bramble leaves or anything else that's still growing? If so, I would try them on that. I would also try to find some branches, Willow perhaps, for them to strip the bark off.

I hope that Joey starts to feel better soon and that both Joey and Boo start producing larger poo.

Thanks Keletkezes - they are nothing like their spring & summer poo which is mainly forage. ,

Thanks also Thumps - I have dried apple (only leaves now), hawthorn, blackthorn, willowherb, geranium, dog rose, plantain, raspberry, vetch (from memory, I may have some others). I try them on a selection each night. Its hard to tell who is eating what when its dried, especially as Mouse gets all excited & jumps across the tray a million times. I tried Joey on dried separately to investigate but he is even less keen to eat without his wives. He is eating hay half heartedly.

Your buns with their food competition present me with a huge challenge! As boo is still not back to full appetite, what happens if you feed just Boo & Joey together?
Can you get some weeping willow twigs? ours still have a few leaves on? They have to eat it using the "spaghetti technique" which takes a bit longer!

Thank You so much Omi, Thumps & indeed everyone else. OH works near a weeping willow - I'll set him on that task tomorrow & I'll hunt down some bramble. I ordered some sticks along with hay & oatigrass today. I can't believe I'm buying sticks.

I am wondering if the last bale of hay was off in some way? They've been on that 2 weeks or less

I was also wondering if my bunnies are copying me, not eating enough & losing weight . Could they be that empathic ?

Thank You so much Omi, Thumps & indeed everyone else. OH works near a weeping willow - I'll set him on that task tomorrow & I'll hunt down some bramble. I ordered some sticks along with hay & oatigrass today. I can't believe I'm buying sticks.

I am wondering if the last bale of hay was off in some way? They've been on that 2 weeks or less

I was also wondering if my bunnies are copying me, not eating enough & losing weight . Could they be that empathic ?

Thumper copied what I did, & he had his unique way of asking me to do the things he couldn't do. Both Thumper & Benjie do their main eating in the later evening which is what I do, but nibble throughout the night & have another big eat before I get up. It's normal wild rabbit eating behaviour. I honestly can't imagine that they would deprive themselves of food because you are eating less, or feeling down. As we know too well, it's life threatening for them not to eat.
I've only known eating problems with my buns - Thumper if I wasn't home by 3.00am. We really were a bonded pair& unusually close. I've a plethora of stories about him.
Benjie's problem is that he needs to be stroked or stops eating. Solution - a substitute human partner (which took a while to establish) & he's fine if he's visited, fussed & played with x2 per day if I go away for 3-4 days.

Your buns have partners. Please put your mind at rest on that one.

Hay goes off by getting a black mould, or more wet & rots. Mouse is fine. I don't think we can blame the food.

There is a marked improvement in poo quality today, still far from perfect but getting there[/QUOTE

Lovely news. :D
Come on Joey keep it up!

thank you - much appreciated

Just had a nightmare with syringe feeding boo. The nozzle was clogged with a bit of coriander so I squirted it at the bowl (so as not to choke her) & it came out with such force it found its way up the walls. It looks like my room has been showered with poo :lol:

thank you - much appreciated

Just had a nightmare with syringe feeding boo. The nozzle was clogged with a bit of coriander so I squirted it at the bowl (so as not to choke her) & it came out with such force it found its way up the walls. It looks like my room has been showered with poo :lol:

I've done that too, & in someone elses house!:oops: Ensuring her guinea pig would it take from me while they were away & I was animal sitting!
You had an understandable accident. I was just stupid & from habiit of getting air out of syringes aimed it straight ahead. more :oops: but good for a laugh!

Last edited:
:lol: at least I've not decorated yet

I messed up again, this time with the brambles. I found some but forgot to take my secateurs (I'm a wuss) so only got about 10 leaves, took them up to the buns & then thought I'd add some coriander & parsley to see who wanted what...went to the fridge, got distracted, returned to find bramble (easily located on bedside table) scoffed. Dried forage wise he liked hawthorn & willowherb this evening. He always finishes before the girls but is still finishing much earlier. I will remember secateurs tomorrow & get lots.

Do you think I should stop Boos feeds ...she is eating pretty well but poo 70% normal size?

Thanks for all your well wishes

Back