• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New arrival

What a lovely update! :D
Sounds like Peanut is settling in really well. Looking forward to more updates and photos :love:

I'm so glad Peanut came home. :) You will be a great family for Peanut, she is very lucky. :) I hope everything goes well and we will see they pictures and videos soon. :love:

Am safely home now. It was lovely to meet Craig, Jan and, of course, Flo. They were so welcoming and warm and friendly and we sat in their gorgeous garden. Peanut slowly started exploring and liked what he found. He had the run of the garden where he lived but it wasn't so big or so interesting. Craig had cooked us a nommy meal and made John, my friend's partner, a cake as it was his birthday last week. I was given a gorgeous bouquet of flowers in various pinks - I love the colour pink.

There were a few tears shed when we said goodbye as John and Tracey both love Peanut and have cared for him for six years. Even I got emotional and he's not my bunny. He was running down the garden and I knew when he came back we would have gone - but it sounds like he carried on exploring which is lovely to read.

Craig and Jan have just confirmed for me that bunny people are really the loveliest people xxx

Such a lovely story :love: I love meeting bunny people, you're all lovely like metal studies people :love: A bit mad but in the right way :lol:

Hope Peanut alnd Flo bond like all my buns :D Hope you managed to get some quality kip as well, Craig!

I’d love to give a more positive update this morning in light of everyone’s optimism from yesterday, but based on my observations this morning, I am feeling more concerned and emotionally overwhelmed than at any other point with my bunnies. As most of you hopefully would know, I take the responsibility of pet ownership extremely seriously. I don’t always get it right but the safety and security of those pets in my care comes before everything - at great personal cost to me at times. But I accept this and do my utmost to give those pets as good a life and second chance that I can. Hand on heart I wish so very much that those pets who have sadly passed we’re still here now.
This morning I saw a side from Flo that I have never seen before. Goodness knows we’ve had our little episodes at first with her - boxing and all the rest, but this morning she was utterly hostile in a way I’ve not seen before, towards peanut. And then in her rage she turned at me. Peanut isn’t hurt - they were separated with a double wire mesh screen. But she was proper going for it - paws and all. Peanut isn’t phased. But he is our guest and he is an amazingly gentle sweet natured bunny and he is also grieving from his own loss and he is now in a massively strange environment with new people and a totally different bunny. And I absolutely cannot let Flo anywhere near peanut.
I’ve spent all morning thinking about what I saw and it’s making me feel very stressed. I had a strange dizzy episode earlier and I’m at the point where I’m trying to eliminate stress from my life, not increase it.
I get the fact that some people will say “it’s only been a day” - I agree. We will continue allowing peanut and flo to be aware of each other and yes, this is arguably Flo behaving territorial. But I fear.
It makes the management of introductions extremely tense as I cannot afford the tiniest of mistakes because if Flo gets out then as she currently is, it would be a full on fight and I cannot have that happen.
I’ll keep updating but I’m this situation, as much as I would like to have a bond, I am fearful of this not working - and sometimes they just don’t. And I absolutely will not jeopardise peanuts safety.
Sorry everybun. I wish I was more positive.
Craig x

Oh, I'm so sorry. No wonder you're so stressed about this, having seen Flo behave like this toward Peanut. Were they on neutral territory? If it was somewhere on Flo's territory, I don't think this necessarily means anything bad for them bonding, as she's simply behaving like most bunnies do when they see a strange bunny in their territory, and you won't have a good idea of how they get along until you have them somewhere neutral. I understand how seeing her like this must've felt discouraging, though, and how it will be stressful to make sure they she can't get near Peanut.

I'm sorry it wasn't a more optimistic update. However, I agree with reader of books that the vital element here is whether this happened in Flo's territory. Given that, as you know, females can be extremely territorial so it's not surprising Flo has acted like this.

I'm not sure if others would agree, but for the time being I would keep them completely out of sight, smell and sound of each other until you're ready to get them both in a neutral space to do the bonding.

Leo and Flo bonded so quickly, yet she was the newcomer. Sending vibes more time will allow them to be good friends.

I also agree. If not on neutral territory, Flo would be merely protecting her space against what she views as an intruder.

I've bonded twice now with new bun being housed in existing bunny area due to lack of space and I must admit I think it contributed to the difficult bonding. Especially with Primrose as the house was very much hers.

Could Peanut be housed upstairs or somewhere that Flo doesn't consider hers until your neutral area and Peanut are ready to bond?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I'm sorry it wasn't a more optimistic update. However, I agree with reader of books that the vital element here is whether this happened in Flo's territory. Given that, as you know, females can be extremely territorial so it's not surprising Flo has acted like this.

I'm not sure if others would agree, but for the time being I would keep them completely out of sight, smell and sound of each other until you're ready to get them both in a neutral space to do the bonding.

I agree with this too but am not sure if you have anywhere Peanut could go. Also if he was shut away in a spare room on his own I think he would be very lonely as he is used to a lot of human interaction. The downstairs area is very much Flo's territory and I can see why she may be aggressive. She is currently on high alert anyway without Leo and suddenly there is another bunny on the scene who isn't Leo in 'her' space. I think a neutral space for introductions would have a much better chance of success.

Thank you Everybun. SLH, Omi and JJ, you are right - and you have far more experience than I do with bonding and bunnies and I completely understand your greater wisdom and advice. Rhianna is quite correct in that Peanut has no where to go in our home or garden that is neutral or away from Flo's sight. And this is absolutely not fair on Peanut because we have taken on his care in order to give both Peanut and Flo companionship. So Peanut has as much right and should expect to have access to this environment. Sadly our 'spare rooms' upstairs are in no way suitable to even attempt a neutral bond because simply one cannot even get in the rooms (the downside of having a wife as a teacher). Our bedroom is tight for space, the bathroom isn't really suitable, the double garage is crammed floor to ceiling and even the shed is packed.
I am stoopid because I did not really anticipate this level of hostility nor this scenario. Looking back when we got Flo in February, although Leo had been here a year, as a male then he did not display the streme protective territorial behaviour Flo is. And as Flo had only just arrived, she couldn't be territorial as such as she was dealing with her own emotional shifting and so, when we did put them together, they bonded from the outset - much to our surprise and relief.
Our garden is a great place for bunnies and it deeply saddens me that I find myself in this situation because I just feel I am unable to cope with the multitide of emotions and questions I am asking myself. As much outwardly as I might project myself as someone else, inside I feel very different and much more fragile than I once used to be which I feel I can only attribute to the events in my own life over the last 5-6 years. Everyone is different and my wife copes with stress and situations differently to me.
I've slept on this situation for 2 nights now and I haven't slept well and it hasn't really changed. Flo's behaviour is markedly changed - her body language and posture isvery different and I don't know what effect it is doing to her inside either - and having lost Leo and Lillian only a few months ago, I am over anxious about missing something or causing a problem with Flo's body and mind.
I am also more than aware that I must look after Peanuts well being - spiritually and physically and I am concerned that this is not what is best for Peanut either. The space and garden would be superb, as would the companionship, but Flo is far too hostile towards this and so I spent many hours last night in bed considering all this and I have 2 options. Option one is to consider a bonding placement - someone with the facility and skills that I simply do not have, to try to bond Flo and Peanut - which I am happy to consider but I know from the short time I have had Flo that she responds incredibly badly to any movement or change of place. She went absolutely mental when we took her to the vets to see Leo when he was poorly and Flo has deep emotional issues about insecurity. Any temporary rehoming (albeit with a bonding placement) would not be good for Flo and I fear she would react even more and I worry for how she and Peanut would be.
Option 2 would be to return Peanut to his loving home with his absolutely loving and wonderful parents and at least this would be spiritually and emotionally more comfortable for Peanut. In doing that, I would also be admitting that Flo would probably now be forever a solo bun.
All this is makiing me feel extremely ill - and my wife is of a very different view but as I said, she handles things differently and has greater strength than I do, but she also supports what ever the decision is.
I have to go to work now, and get Flo in as she is standing on the patio, rigid, and reluctant to move.
Sorry, I wish I was more positive but Peanuts needs and safety must come before anything else.
Craig xx

Thank you Everybun. SLH, Omi and JJ, you are right - and you have far more experience than I do with bonding and bunnies and I completely understand your greater wisdom and advice. Rhianna is quite correct in that Peanut has no where to go in our home or garden that is neutral or away from Flo's sight. And this is absolutely not fair on Peanut because we have taken on his care in order to give both Peanut and Flo companionship. So Peanut has as much right and should expect to have access to this environment. Sadly our 'spare rooms' upstairs are in no way suitable to even attempt a neutral bond because simply one cannot even get in the rooms (the downside of having a wife as a teacher). Our bedroom is tight for space, the bathroom isn't really suitable, the double garage is crammed floor to ceiling and even the shed is packed.
I am stoopid because I did not really anticipate this level of hostility nor this scenario. Looking back when we got Flo in February, although Leo had been here a year, as a male then he did not display the streme protective territorial behaviour Flo is. And as Flo had only just arrived, she couldn't be territorial as such as she was dealing with her own emotional shifting and so, when we did put them together, they bonded from the outset - much to our surprise and relief.
Our garden is a great place for bunnies and it deeply saddens me that I find myself in this situation because I just feel I am unable to cope with the multitide of emotions and questions I am asking myself. As much outwardly as I might project myself as someone else, inside I feel very different and much more fragile than I once used to be which I feel I can only attribute to the events in my own life over the last 5-6 years. Everyone is different and my wife copes with stress and situations differently to me.
I've slept on this situation for 2 nights now and I haven't slept well and it hasn't really changed. Flo's behaviour is markedly changed - her body language and posture isvery different and I don't know what effect it is doing to her inside either - and having lost Leo and Lillian only a few months ago, I am over anxious about missing something or causing a problem with Flo's body and mind.
I am also more than aware that I must look after Peanuts well being - spiritually and physically and I am concerned that this is not what is best for Peanut either. The space and garden would be superb, as would the companionship, but Flo is far too hostile towards this and so I spent many hours last night in bed considering all this and I have 2 options. Option one is to consider a bonding placement - someone with the facility and skills that I simply do not have, to try to bond Flo and Peanut - which I am happy to consider but I know from the short time I have had Flo that she responds incredibly badly to any movement or change of place. She went absolutely mental when we took her to the vets to see Leo when he was poorly and Flo has deep emotional issues about insecurity. Any temporary rehoming (albeit with a bonding placement) would not be good for Flo and I fear she would react even more and I worry for how she and Peanut would be.
Option 2 would be to return Peanut to his loving home with his absolutely loving and wonderful parents and at least this would be spiritually and emotionally more comfortable for Peanut. In doing that, I would also be admitting that Flo would probably now be forever a solo bun.
All this is makiing me feel extremely ill - and my wife is of a very different view but as I said, she handles things differently and has greater strength than I do, but she also supports what ever the decision is.
I have to go to work now, and get Flo in as she is standing on the patio, rigid, and reluctant to move.
Sorry, I wish I was more positive but Peanuts needs and safety must come before anything else.
Craig xx

Craig, go with whatever decision gives you the most peace. You have a duty of care to yourself as well as your bunnies and if you are not well / stressed they will pick that up. x

In 25 years I have never been able to bond a new Buck to a resident Doe using any area the Doe would consider as her own. Does are always exceptionally territorial, it is normal behaviour.

In a situation such as yours this is what I would try before sending Peanut back. I would confine each Rabbit to one room for at least two weeks. I would then have a sort out of a small space in another room where a bonding pen could go. The bonding pen must be in a different room to the one either Rabbit spends the two weeks alone.

The idea of confining both of them alone in a smaller space may not be a comfortable thought, BUT it would not be forever and would be being done for the greater good of hopefully making a bond possible.

After 2 weeks in separate rooms I would move Peanut into the bonding pen first. Then add Flo. Only have hay, chew sticks and two water bowls in the pen so neither Rabbit can claim anything like a litter tray as theirs.

That would be my stage one and I would proceed ( or not ) depending on the responses during the initial introduction on NEUTRAL territory.

Just my opinion, obviously you need to do what you believe to be right.

In 25 years I have never been able to bond a new Buck to a resident Doe using any area the Doe would consider as her own. Does are always exceptionally territorial, it is normal behaviour.

In a situation such as yours this is what I would try before sending Peanut back. I would confine each Rabbit to one room for at least two weeks. I would then have a sort out of a small space in another room where a bonding pen could go. The bonding pen must be in a different room to the one either Rabbit spends the two weeks alone.

The idea of confining both of them alone in a smaller space may not be a comfortable thought, BUT it would not be forever and would be being done for the greater good of hopefully making a bond possible.

After 2 weeks in separate rooms I would move Peanut into the bonding pen first. Then add Flo. Only have hay, chew sticks and two water bowls in the pen so neither Rabbit can claim anything like a litter tray as theirs.

That would be my stage one and I would proceed ( or not ) depending on the responses during the initial introduction on NEUTRAL territory.

Just my opinion, obviously you need to do what you believe to be right.

My house is much, much more overcrowded than yours - you have floor space:) - and I am not a teacher - just a hoarder. I have bonded in a puppy pen by the side of my bed. It is a small area but it's not forever and I can then be with them overnight too and it is an area nobun has been.

I've tried the keeping buns together but apart gradual bonding but it doesn't work for some buns. They both need somewhere new and strange. Could you move your bed to one side and try this? I hate bonding and find it incredibly stressful as buns often do fight to start with. Obviously you could not continue if Flo showed the same level of aggression in a neutral space as she is doing at the moment.

It's a horrid position for you to be in. What does Jan think you should do next?

Back