• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding my boy with new friend after loss

I travel full time with my pair (m/f bonded neutered adult) giant breeds. Back in September the same day that we got to my friend's house I put them in an outdoor run that my friends had built specifically for my babies and went to bed after driving for 10 hours. I woke up to my girl dead on the floor and my boy draped over her body with a snake hole in the ground next to them.
My boy spent over a week regaining his strength, being syringe fed while the swelling in his neck subsided. The vet determined they were bitten by the same snake and she got all the venom, he got a dry bite. He was too out of it to understand that our girl (Darkstar) was not coming back. Since then he has been very clingy and has begun to pee on my bed while I am asleep.
About three weeks after Morningstar (my boy) recovered I attempted to begin bonding him with a new girl, a beautiful little Rex, but as soon as he saw her he was first excited because she was the same coloring as his lost love, then when he saw her face he charged her. The first time they were allowed in the same space he injured her to the point she needed stitches and had to go back to her former home.
Our vet said to wait a few months before trying again.
I have just adopted another Flemish Giant who will be 3mos old on the 16th of this month and Morningstar is showing really positive signs, he is trying to sniff and attempting to lick her through the cage, every day he climbs into her cage when she isn't in it, and now that they have been living side by side for two weeks we have had their first face to face meeting without bars in between.
The first meeting (yesterday) went great: he tried to groom her, she ran away, he didn't chase her. They played in the same space and things went well.
Today I let them both out of their pens and he tried to groom her again and she screamed, pulled out his furreceived_688994493151867.jpeg and I had to separate them. He is still very interested but a little afraid while she is sitting in her own pen acting like he doesn't exist.
Morningstar is acting happier than he has in months. Is the baby attacking him part of normal bonding? I haven't attempted to bond a baby with a grieving adult before.

Attachments

• 20240124_124740.jpg
    20240124_124740.jpg
    636.5 KB · Views: 1
Very sorry for your loss 😢

If you bond your Buck with the new Doe before you get your Doe spayed be prepared for the fact that the bond might break down when the Doe hits puberty. Any bonding before neutering/spaying is not a true bond and isn’t stable.

When bonding it needs to be done in territory unknown to both Rabbits. Personally I have never used the ‘dating’ method for bonding. I introduce them in a small neutral area where they remain together 24/7 until the bonding process is complete. This involves 24/7 observation, knowing when to intervene in any scuffles occur, being able to read and understand body language, gradually increasing the space they have access to. It can take a few days or a few weeks.

Some bonding information here

I am so sorry you lost your girl in such a terrible way and then had to nurse your boy back to health. Sending you positive vibes for your bonding.

So far the bonding with the new baby is not going well. As long as both are in cages or she is in the cage he will lay next to her and put his nose next to hers, but he is clearly afraid of her. If she is out of the cage she is vicious. She attacks him. I was wanting to breed her to another pedigree Flemish Giant and get 1 litter before I have her spayed, but the more vicious she is with him the more I'm rethinking that.

So far the bonding with the new baby is not going well. As long as both are in cages or she is in the cage he will lay next to her and put his nose next to hers, but he is clearly afraid of her. If she is out of the cage she is vicious. She attacks him. I was wanting to breed her to another pedigree Flemish Giant and get 1 litter before I have her spayed, but the more vicious she is with him the more I'm rethinking that.

Why do you want to breed her ? There are thousands of unwanted Pet Rabbits in Rescues/Shelters who need a home. Is it really necessary to bring more into the world ?

If you are determined to do so then for health and welfare reasons you need to have documented evidence of the genetic history of your Doe, going back at least two generations. Same would apply for the stud Buck. If he were not your own you’d need documented evidence that he is disease free, especially from Treponematosis.
You need to be certain you have sufficient time, space and funds to care for an additional 8+ Rabbits, getting them vaccinated etc. You need to know you have good homes lined up for any kits you do not keep. This will involve home checking prospective buyers. You won’t make a profit from selling. The cost of the day to day care, Vet health checks before selling and the vaccinations will far exceed any money you get from a sale.

I have previously bought Rabbits from Reputable Breeders. But with the dire state of Rabbit Welfare these days in that there are just not enough homes or rescue places for those already here I would never do so now. Even though very recently I was offered a Rabbit whom I wanted and who is an exceptionally special breed and colour. All but one of the reputable Breeders I know no longer breed Rabbits. They cannot morally justify doing so. Healthy Rabbits are having to be euthanised as there is simply not enough places for them to be cared for. Sadly the same applies to Dogs. No Vet enters the profession to have to terminate the life of a healthy animal.

I would encourage you to reconsider breeding, concentrate on getting your Doe vaccinated and then spayed when she’s old enough and then you can try to bond her with your Buck. If you keep trying now, prior to a spay, and they fight it is highly unlikely that you will get them to bond even after spaying.

Please read this re breeding

Last edited:
Back