• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please

Jb31

New Kit
Hello
I’m new to the form so hope I’m doing this correctly. My bunny is approx 8 years old (had her as a rescue so not entirely sure) her back legs are not great and has started to urinate down her legs as she can’t lift her take. She’s in metacam and gabopentin. I’ve brought her inside to reduce risk of fly strike and since doing this her partner looks totally fed up. He’s still quite mobile and he just sits in a corner sulking most of the time. Am I doing right keeping them together still? Thanks for any advice

How are they housed when inside? Have they got lots of free-roaming space and lots of things to amuse them?

We’ve created a large pen enclosure so they have space to roam, but he just sits in the corner. We let him out on the garden last night for a run around but as soon as he came back he sat in his corner again

Is he a lot younger? I can understand his miserableness about being inside. My bunnies are outside and I imagine they get pleasure in just watching what's going on around them. But, yes, you do need to consider flystrike and ideally she would need to be cleaned every time. How often is she urinating down her legs? Maybe discuss with your vet about increasing her Metacam? Maybe consider using puppy pads. I'm not sure but they might soak up the urine so that she's not sitting in it.

I wouldn't separate them unless absolutely necessary.

No he’s not younger he’s about the same age. I’m cleaning her daily, she can no longer life her tail so she gets quite messy. Yes ill mention to the vets as she can get around clumsily and she’s eating very well. I’ve got the puppy pads they do seem to be better. Thanks again for the advice

Sorry to hear about your bunny, but glad the puppy pads are helping. If you haven't already, a few bunny safe toys might prove to be a bit of a distraction, or you could always make your own, you'll find some good ideas in the Help and Advice section of the forum.

I second petsmums idea of enriching his indoor space...think tunnels, cardboard boxes with 2 entrance / exit holes, things to hide in, things to jump on...try to engage him in food related activities - toilet roll tubes stuffed with hay & forage, forage books / mats, treat balls, dangle & hide foods...a bolt hole of some sort is really important

Back