• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flo bunny - a very Bertie accident.

Aw, she must be happy to be home, and what a sweet welcome from Bertie. :love: That does sound like it must've been uncomfortable, all that poop stuck to her... But, yes, at least she's pooping, which is great. I hope she'll continue to improve so she won't have to have the meds anymore, since she's so fed up with them, poor girl.

A feisty bunny is a recovering bunny. :thumb:
That being said, any pet who causes their medication to fly across the room rather than go into their mouths is always a bit frustrating. We know you're up to the challenge though, Craig! :D

So good to hear she's doing better. :)

Sorry everybun, I haven't had time to post since about Tuesday. You all must be worried. Well, its been a bit of a hairy few days and I don't know if we are finished yet. So, by Tuesday- 2 days post stasis, flo was still not fully recovered. She was eating dandelions happily and parsley. And she was pooping. Things went south on Wednesday tea time. I let them out into the garden when I got home. Things were a bit manic one thing and another. I checked flo at 6:55pm (make a note of this) and i almost died. Hdr wound had been opened. Either her or bertie had got handy with it and monched the stitches out. I flipped. I'd had a bad bad week at work and I was already drained from the absolute stress with flo.
I rang the vet. The vet close at 7pm! Significant. They said id have to ring out of hours vet (same surgery just 5 minutes later). So I did. They said bring her in along with 300 quid consultation. Lovely. So off we went again. I have a stress thing on my phone and a heart rate monitor. I was clocking 120 bpm and the stress level was off the chart. I felt sick.
The vet was lovely. Really really really nice. She was calming and gave flo a thorough check. Said she had no concerns. The wound was granulating nicely and it would not be in anyone's interest to re-anaesthetise as it was incredibly high risk. The wound would just take longer to heal. I had my head in my hands and most of what the vet said was just blur. I felt so bad. She recommended f10 wound spray.
We came back home and flo seemed ok. We got f10 wound spray on Friday as no one sold it round here. By Friday, flo was much more as she used to be. We put the spray on last night and she immediately liked most of it off!
Berties behavior was odd yesterday as he got aggressive towards her in the garden. That flipped me out again but by the evening they were happily snuggled up in the living room.
This morning flo was I would say, 90% back to normal. She is eating more foods not just parsley. I have dried dandelion and she's eating grass and triffids from the garden. Actively looking for them. Shes eating a few more treatos but I want her to eat than not. She's pooping ok and she is on metacam which she loves!
We are back at vets on Wednesday for follow up. On this occasion I have nothing but praise for the vets. Shevhas seen so many vets but they have been incredibly supportive and have got flo to the point she is at. The only grumble is the ooh cost which is a bone of contention. I'll get most of the cost back but its not about the cost. Flo is a member of our family. She has every right to live and to life and she is such a strong willed bunny. Everyone here has supported her with vibes and it has all helped.
On the other hand I'm a mess. I'm very very stressed and not coping on the basics. I'll get there - I just don't have a coping strategy for this because of the still fresh memories of the bunnies I've lost.
Sorry about the delay in updating. I hope you all understand why I haven't posted for a few days.
Craig xx

Oh, gosh, Craig, more stressful days, on top of a bad week at work, too, I'm so sorry... :( I really hope you can get a bit of a break now. How awful that Flo's wound opened. That must've been such a shock... I'm glad it wasn't necessary to put her under again, and that the vet was so kind and calming. I'm sorry the wound will take longer to heal now, though, and that the wound spray didn't get a chance to work as she licked most of it off. That doesn't sound good... But I'm really glad she's eating better now and is almost back to normal. Sending so many vibes for Flo's healing and eating, and I hope you can find a way to prevent her from licking off the wound spray so it can help her.

I'm glad it's still a positive update, despite the setbacks. Hopefully it will all be old news in a week or so.
If it's the F10 germicidal wound spray with insecticide, she will have protection from flystrike as well - which is important with an open wound and an outside bunny in this weather.

You deserve a nice quiet cuppa (tea or something stronger?).

What a week you've had Craig, but so pleased that Flo is doing better now. Thank goodness for insurance ! that's what I kept saying when George was hospitalised last year for a weekend, at £2,600 :( they are worth it though. Hope you've caught up on your sleep xx

I'm pleased that Flo is almost back to normal. Sending her lots of vibes that her wound heals well.

gosh what a journey, its good to hear Flo is almost there now.

I'm super curious about the triffids ...what are they actually called or do you have a photo?

gosh what a journey, its good to hear Flo is almost there now.

I'm super curious about the triffids ...what are they actually called or do you have a photo?

I'll try to upload some photos on Sunday. I know zero about hardening or triffids. Jan does all that. Her father was a prize winning Gardner. I know that everything we have is green. It used to have colour but we seem to have lost that. I've got raspberry bush thing and a blackcurrant bush but they've been nobbled. Theres a pear tree that bertie likes the leaves of, and he's eyeing up the rapidly growing pears.

I'll try to upload some photos on Sunday. I know zero about hardening or triffids. Jan does all that. Her father was a prize winning Gardner. I know that everything we have is green. It used to have colour but we seem to have lost that. I've got raspberry bush thing and a blackcurrant bush but they've been nobbled. Theres a pear tree that bertie likes the leaves of, and he's eyeing up the rapidly growing pears.

Cheers! I'm just being nosey cos I like foraging & all that (well I wouldnt if it wasnt peeing down 24/7) Lucky you with you pears - Joey pear tree is barren again

I am sorry you are dealing with work stress on top of bunny stress. It is good to know Flo is doing better in spite of her wound re-opening and her wound is healing after she or Bertie removed the stitches.
It is unlucky you noticed her wound opened right before the end of normal hours for the vets and once again had to rely on ooh vet. Though it sounds like you still got to see a knowledgeable vet.
Sending vibes for Flo. Stress can trigger so many physical symptoms. Sending vibes for you too.

Quick update for all you flo followers. We had a scheduled appointment last night at our vets to check on flos progress and how her wound was healing. Pleased to say that the vet was extremely happy with how flos wound is healing. There is a scab there but she felt under it and said the skin was feeling really good. Flos appetite has returned and her whole demeanor is different. It has been an incredibly long 2 weeks in my life, and will have felt much more for flo. One thing she has is inner strength - she has such resolve. I've got some footage and photos which I'll post when I get time at the weekend including some photos and videos of triffids for Joey and boo.
Thank you everybun for thinking of flo and for sending her vibes.
Craig. Xx

Back