• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flo bunny - a very Bertie accident.

Thanks everyone and jane. Jan been to see flo. She said glos behavior was saying I want to come home. She took a couple of treats straight away from Jan then no more. Jan took some poop in. She only had a few minutes cause its Monday and vets very busy. Of course flo is as important as any one else's pet who requires treatment. Jan just felt flo was signaling she wants to be out. Shed still getting meds so the vet should call me soon and ill ask if she can come home and if she needs meds we can bring her in. I don't think any xray has been done but given this reaction to the anesthetic then at the moment we probably might not go with that. I'll see what vet says later. Personally right now I'm a wreck and my nerves are shattered and I'm worried sick. I just want what's best for flo.
Craig x

I'm thinking that if she is still not eating and pooping properly, then she should definitely still remain on gut medication and obviously if she is on abx then they will need to continue. Are you able to give meds to Flo at home? I don't think it would be beneficial to bring Flo home if there's a chance you will have to return her for meds.

Like Jane, I'm also wondering about whether Bertie was actually the cause of the accident. Not that it's of great importance though, as the main thing is to get Flo well and healed again. Has the vet said how happy she is with the healing of the wound?

Poor Flo bunny... I'll keep sending lots and lots of vibes for her. It's so understandable that you're feeling so terrible and worried, Craig. :(

Quick update- sorry short notice. Picking flo up at 6pm tonight. We have meds to give - calpol for paracetamol, metacam and emipred. I will update after we get her cause its going to be a bit of a chaotic few hours from me leaving work, driving to vets, handover, getting back, reintroducing and finding time for tea but ill do what I can for you all
Craig x

I hope she recovers well at home Craig, I'd always have mine at home if my vets were totally supportive of it. May the reintroductions be gentle & peaceful. Vibes for all

7pm update. I truly believe I've been mugged off by my rabbits! We had a chat with the vet. I looked at my new reserved parking space at the vet that I've paid for and the new flo extension to the vet hospital.
Flo looked so much different today in the carrier and quite relaxed. I drove carefully back and took her into the kitchen to her familiar surroundings. At work id picked some nice dandelion leaves and I'd washed them ready for flos return.
We opened the carrier door and she went and got settled but first she had a pee stop on the mat. I'll give her that one. She'd had barely anything today or really the last 36 hours except some parsley, treats and under protest, critical care.
Within 30 seconds of her settling on her mat, bertie gave her a gentle groom as if to say "I've really missed you and sirry". Then he went out so I thought I'd try some dandelion leaves as bertie would have scoffed them.
I may as well have asked flo to open wide - sge shoveled the leaves down like she'd never seen food for a month! She just kept going. It was amazing and I can't find any way to explain this. Shes munched most of the leaves and is now just sitting loaf of bread style, happy I would hope that she is back home. Shes been thro so much and her eyes when she got back just seemed to be so full of happiness and relief.
I'll sort some photos out in a moment but just to let you all know flo is back and so far she seems to be very much settled and better. Thsnk you all for your amazing vibes.
Craig and flo xx

Some photos as promised:
first up a bad photo of the post op on the wound
XIdZTC8.jpg
[/IMG]

Next up some of flo this morning when jan went to see her:
EIjNXZU.jpg
[/IMG]
In this one I think you can see in Flos expression that she wants to go home now!
YJ8zXO8.jpg
[/IMG]

And then the photos from moments after she arrived home
ErBEMwm.jpg
[/IMG]
79hLK4E.jpg
[/IMG]
oEtgyx9.jpg
[/IMG]

Aw bless her, she certainly looks happier now, there is no place like home. Well done Flo and well done you for your prompt action Craig, hope you've had a stiff drink by now ! x

Awww...I think someone there is sorry for hurting his best mate, look at the loves Bertie is giving her! :love:
Brilliant to hear Flo's home, Craig. I'll second that you should be pouring yourself a tall one! :thumb:

Flo does look better at home than at the vet hospital.
Eating and poopees is like Christmas!
I am glad her bond with Bertie was strong enough to withstand the collision and subsequent separation.
I am sending vibes she will continue to improve and you will be able to recover many of the costs from her insurance.

I am glad no one at your work raided your dandelion salad from the office refrigerator before you could take it home to Flo.

Last edited:
Quick update. Flo had a comfortable night judging by the sploof i came down to. She'd grazed a little before bed time but it was a bit of a battle getting meds down last night. Little did I know last night was just the warm up! She had some garden time before I had to go to work to make thev3k the vet bill came to (claim pending from insurance) and as i ushered her in I noticed a dark ominous area on her tail and underneath. So before I went to get her meds I checked underneath and found a large crusty dried flap of Caecos and poop which must have been from the night and terribly uncomfortable for her. So I had to gently release the matted poop which was also holding back a reasonable amount of normal poop and that can't have been nice for flo but was a good sign shes pooping.
Then it was time for meds and that really didn't go well. Shes clearly had enough of humans giving her meds and despite bunny burritos and treatos it was a combined team effort to get most of the meds down. Shes not having garden time today as fly strike is all I need right now so she can recuperate indoors with bertie and ill check her when I get home from work tonight. So far so good but its been less than 24 hours. Hopefully by the weekend she will be off meds and able to enjoy her time with bertie again.
Craig x

Back