• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flo bunny - a very Bertie accident.

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
It's been a very roller coaster 12 hours (is that all) since last night and it all started because of the rain!
Flo was sitting in the doorway between our kitchen and outside last night. She likes to sit there as it allows her to chose to go out or come in and just watch life float by. Bertie on the other hand likes to go out. And unbeknown to me he had gone out in the garden at 8pm just as the clouds were gathering. Then the heavens opened. Flo sat in the doorway watching nature and Bertie was somewhere out in the monsoon downpour so I had to go and get him. I grabbed my brolley and walked outside. Bertie was sitting to the left next to the hutch in partial cover. The second he saw me, he flipped big time and went into super scared mode. He belted off towards the sanctuary of the kitchen at MACH 2. He literally didn't see Flo sitting there minding her own business when 2.5kg of MACH 2 fur hit her. In the ensuing scramble, Bertie lept over the now sideways Flo and hid in the kitchen stomping his feet. Flo being Flo just got on with it.
At 10pm I was making ready for bed. One last treato for each bun and lock them in the kitchen. I don't know why but I decided to check Flo - give her a cuddle. Call it 6th sense. She'd been fine all night. Eating, sitting as she usually does, dancing round the snuffle mat. I gave her a cuddle and some gentle strokies along her back down to her tail when I noticed what felt like a flappy bit of skin. Funny, I thought. Then as I parted the fur, there was a massive wound. The top layer of fur and skin had been peeled away - de-gloved if you will. Underneath was white flesh. No blood. I felt sick. Really sick. Had she been attacked without me noticing? Then I realised what had happened. Bertie had caught her skin with his claws and ripped away this chunk of skin - about the size of a satsuma.
I rang the out of hours vet. I felt awful and sick to the stomach. I rushed her to the vet and she assessed Flo. Yes it would require a minor procedure to reattach the skin flap meaning anaesthetic and admission. I got a call just after 1am - I wasn't asleep, saying all had gone well and that the slap was removed as there was evidence of necrosis starting. But as it was on her leg/hip area, there was flexibility in the area to draw the wound close. The vet was happy it had gone well. At 2am I got a call to come and collect her and I handed over just shy of a grand for cost of the procedure as it was out of hours. Flo is insured but I didn't have the docs with me so my bank account took a major hit and it's beans on toast for me for the next week.
When I got home, things went downhill but for a reason. Flo came out of the carrier and was literally paralysed from the nack back. She shuffled/slithered onto the vet bed mat and lay there. I felt awfully sick and panicked. But I realised this was just the after effects of the anaesthetic. I grabbed some cusions and a blanket and settled down to sit/lie next to her all night.
By 6am Flo was still very unsteady and not eating and very tired. Turns out she had keratin and opiates during anaesthetic and I know from experience this absolutely knocks my bunnies for 6. I rang the vet and arranged to go back with Flo as I was not confident to get critical care down her without hurting her. The vet got some critical care into flo, gave her a metaclopromide jab and I got another 30 quid bill. I came back with Flo and tried to get her to eat. She refused. The vet said it was early sign of stasis - hence the metaclopromide. I stayed with flo all morning - trying to get food into her but she was just uber sleepy an not interested. Any yummy food I put out was swiftly gobbled up by Bertie - whcih frustrated me.
By 10am I was getting mega stressed and was considering taking Flo back to the vet. I went outside to put the washing out and Bertie decided to go out so I put some nommy treats and fresh herbs for flo in the living room. She began to pick at them - which was positive. When I'd finished putting the washing out, I went to the kitchen and Flo is standing by the living room door wanting to come into the kitchen. I opened the door and she ran outside into the garden. Literally ran out. She sat in a shady spot at the start of the garden and began to pick at some of the triffids that were left. I didn't want to bring her in - I rang the vet and spoke to the nurse and had a long chat. The nurse was over the moon that Flo has regained her movement. She'salso overjoyed that Flo is chosing to eat when she likes and what she wants. I'm to give her metacam (in a few minutes) for pain management. Shes still outside now - sitting snoozing still but certianly an improvement from 6 hours ago. I'll update the thread later but this was purely a complete freak accident and had I not given her a cuddle last night, I'd have been none the wiser and in all likelyhood had a much more serious problem and sick bunny.
Craig x

Gosh :shock: Poor Flo :( I hope that she will be OK now. It must have been quite painful and doesn't it just demonstrate how bunnies hide pain :(

I have to say I would not have been too impressed that the vet discharged her when she couldn't move, plus the fact that they didn't even tell you. I am quite shocked at this tbh. Also I have no experience with bunny wounds, but would necrosis have set in so soon, if the injury occured around 8pm? Seems very quick to me, but as I say I have no experience and it's best to be on the safe side.

Gosh :shock: Poor Flo :( I hope that she will be OK now. It must have been quite painful and doesn't it just demonstrate how bunnies hide pain :(

I have to say I would not have been too impressed that the vet discharged her when she couldn't move, plus the fact that they didn't even tell you. I am quite shocked at this tbh. Also I have no experience with bunny wounds, but would necrosis have set in so soon, if the injury occured around 8pm? Seems very quick to me, but as I say I have no experience and it's best to be on the safe side.

The vet offered me 2 options at the outset- we could go home as she was and come back in the morning when the usual vets were in (this was the emergency out of hours vet) and the usual vet would be cheaper, or we admit straight away. I know what everyone's thoughts on that will be. I said it had to be in flos interests to do the op then and there- reducing the risk of infection etc. Cost wasn't an issue but I understand for some people it would be. My limited knowledge of biology is that tissue will die quickly if it doesn't have a blood supply so at the time the op took place, 4 hours had elapsed. We also agreed that flo should be home after the op. I was prepared to spend the night with her as opposed to her staying in at the hospital. I wasn't prepared for how she was still suffering from post anesthetic. It did wear off to be fair. I've not left her side today and am outside. I've just wrestled some more critical care into her but she's not the easiest patient.

Flippin 'eck Craig, your bunnies certainly know how to put you through the wringer don't they ? Glad Flo seems to be on the mend now, hope Bertie is ok too. Think you need a stiff drink ! xx

Poor Flo :cry:
Was she prescribed abx given that the Vet said she’d had to remove necrotic tissue ?

Hope the wound will heal well.

Sending hugs. I am glad your health cuddle resulted in your discovery of the wound.
I can understand why a flap of skin would lack a good blood supply and needed the edges to be trimmed before they were reconnected.
That certainly was a very unlucky thing to happen to Flo. Sending vibes she continues to improve and she heals well.

I'm so sorry Craig, this sounds really stressful ...I remember the sick feeling looking at Rudey's wound. Healing vibes for Flo & I hope you can relax a bit too

8pm update. Flo has been admitted to the hospital with stasis. She got a score of 12 on the blood ometer and this was enough to concern the vet. I had a very in depth chat with a vet before I took her to be assessed but I just felt that flo wasn't right and I don't have the skills to determine if her tummy is bloated or not working. She's going straight onto fluids and my card took another pounding of a grand. So an innocuous relatively minor accident/collision has cost 2k so far but flo is insured so hopefully we'll get some of that back. I'm spending the night downstairs with bertie to keep him company and ill update everyone in the morning. I know flo is in the good hands of caring vets and I hope she has a comfortable night and is better in the morning.
Thank you for all the vibes and flo is grateful too.
Craig x

Gosh, poor Flo. :( I'm so sorry she's been through so much after the unlucky accident with Bertie, only for her to have to be admitted again with stasis... Sending her so, so many vibes. I really hope she'll feel better soon.

Sending Flo loads of vibes. I imagine a wound that size would be quite painful. I hope she feels a lot better in the morning.

Poor Flo and poor you! :( Sending tonnes of vibes that she rallies quickly and is back to her lovely, lively self soon.
As for Bertie, tell him to keep it to 65 kph around corners from now on, norty lad! :?

I hope Flo is well enough to return home soon. It must have been very upsetting for you but fortunately there wasn't an open wound. X

8:30am update. Vet just rung. She (the vet) started at 9pm last night and she says she's seen an improvement in flo - she's looking brighter. She's chomped through the feeding lines so they've used a canula and that's working. No poop yet. Shes getting all the meds and support fluids electrolytes to help gut support. I will ring lunchtime and see how flo is.
Thank you for all your vibes
Craig x

Back