• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm a muppet I think? PM results it was vhd2

Such a worry :( Mark is such an experienced vet too that you'd be able to take his concerns seriously :( Everything crossed for your little one - I wonder if it's more common than we think and can lie dormant until something like a GA triggers it? It would be an enormous worry if that is the case. I would definitely talk to him about getting the others vaccinated ASAP - Puttocks Vets in Paddock Wood look to be the nearest with reported stock at present. It would of course be a worry to take any potentially infected bunnies anywhere, I had to do so with mine and was very uncomfortable about it, but needs must. I would ensure that wherever they go knows the situation so that they can take steps to disinfect after you have been in, and ideally book you in for the end of a day when there won't be other rabbits waiting or to be seen afterwards, meaning they can disinfect straight away without disrupting anything else. Whenever I go to my vets now I wait in the car and ring in to check that it's all clear of rabbits before I go in. Everything crossed for you - he's in the best possible hands xx

Perhaps the Vet could examine and vaccinate the Rabbits whilst they remain in Carriers in the car ? Not ideal, but maybe better than taking them into the Practice ? The Vet could disposable gown/glove and boot up first.

I will talk to the vets re' vacs at 3.

I know Mark is amazing, that's why I was so shocked when I thought feegal had been picked up by his ears. I kind of wish he had been now. Easier to be angry at a person than a virus.

The thing is, he's 9. Would it even be fair to let him battle vhd? A young bun I understand but a weak old bun I don't know. He hasn't kept weight on very well for years now. He's quite a weak boy, prone to upset tummy if his diet isn't perfect and a dental bunny too.

The worst worst bit is his husbun Buur. He is half blind and so stressy. When his wife died, he had to be bonded to my other buns as he freaked so much on his own. I haven't got one I could bond with him. I only have Sally who was a failed bond with him before and an uncastrated monster boy of a baby. And there is no way I can get a rescue bun incase it contracts vhd. Which means I may have to have Buur pts for emotional causes. I mean how can I do that?! :censored:

I know Mark is amazing, that's why I was so shocked when I thought feegal had been picked up by his ears. I kind of wish he had been now. Easier to be angry at a person than a virus.

The thing is, he's 9. Would it even be fair to let him battle vhd? A young bun I understand but a weak old bun I don't know. He hasn't kept weight on very well for years now. He's quite a weak boy, prone to upset tummy if his diet isn't perfect and a dental bunny too.

The worst worst bit is his husbun Buur. He is half blind and so stressy. When his wife died, he had to be bonded to my other buns as he freaked so much on his own. I haven't got one I could bond with him. I only have Sally who was a failed bond with him before and an uncastrated monster boy of a baby. And there is no way I can get a rescue bun incase it contracts vhd. Which means I may have to have Buur pts for emotional causes. I mean how can I do that?! :censored:

I have done it. All I can say is that it was one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. But I knew then as I know now, for the two Rabbits concerned, Tess and Stanley, it was the right decision.

I really am so sorry that you are faced with the potential of having to let both Rabbits go and I really hope that it does not come to that. But if it does I can say with almost certainty you will know that it was right for the two Rabbits and you will eventually take some small comfort in the fact that you were able to do it for them, despite the heartbreak it caused you.

Well I would say, take one step at a time. I often find it unhelpful to rehearse scenarios as they very rarely play out as I think.

You have a great vet on board, and take his advice :thumb:

Yes, I have let two rabbits go under similar difficult circumstances, but I still played it one day at a time to see what was right. It will become clear Carrie :)

Sending hugs xx

Thank you Jack's Jane and MightyMax. It just feels so unfair on Buur. But yes one day at a time. It is a horrible decision for you both to have had to make :cry:

My heart bleeds for the new bunny owner on here. He doesn't know the heartache that comes from these little fluff balls:cry: I just want to shout run as fast as you can.

Thank you Jack's Jane and MightyMax. It just feels so unfair on Buur. But yes one day at a time. It is a horrible decision for you both to have had to make :cry:

My heart bleeds for the new bunny owner on here. He doesn't know the heartache that comes from these little fluff balls:cry: I just want to shout run as fast as you can.

I can understand that sentiment. Of course the joy Rabbits bring in their lifetimes is something I am honoured to have experienced, but the worry they can cause when they are ill and the heartbreak we go through when we loose them is not something I now feel able to cope with. Although I know I will eventually have to on 4 more occasions. Rabbits are VERY different to other Pets, IMO. There is something exceptional about them but I cannot put it into words.

Yes I know ..

It's precisely because bunnies suffer in silence, and don't express their discomfort that they are so impenetrable. And by the time we find out something is wrong, it's way down the line for them.

Such mysterious little creatures. I'm glad there is a band of crazy bunny people like us taking their side :D

I miss this place. I feel like you all "get" me :) Jack's Jane I've had hundreds of different species of pets and kids but rabbits have just got "something" that the others haven't. (Of course I love them all compleatly especially the kids ;) )

MightyMax they really do suffer in silence. I have an old wesite with westie lung disease. You know if he's having a bad day the moment you wake up, bunnies you have to lay on the floor and spend time with them.

I've phoned the vet and there is no change. Feegal is still not eating or anything. I don't know if that is good news or not.

Thank you everyone for your support today :love:

I miss this place. I feel like you all "get" me :) Jack's Jane I've had hundreds of different species of pets and kids but rabbits have just got "something" that the others haven't. (Of course I love them all compleatly especially the kids ;) )

MightyMax they really do suffer in silence. I have an old wesite with westie lung disease. You know if he's having a bad day the moment you wake up, bunnies you have to lay on the floor and spend time with them.

I've phoned the vet and there is no change. Feegal is still not eating or anything. I don't know if that is good news or not.

Thank you everyone for your support today :love:

More vibes for you and Feegal. We never give up until he decides he wants to :wave:

Thank you all so much:love:

Mark just rang and said feegal has had a nibble of food on his own but isn't eating a lot.

He's now hoping it's not vhd but need to wait for bloods tomorrow to see if his liver is in a state or not. He has hemorrhaging in his eyes as well. So fingers crossed it's not vhd, liver failure or anything else.

I've never had a rabbit go this long not eating. But feegal never stops eating. Even when he is in serious need of a dental...

Thank you all so much:love:

Mark just rang and said feegal has had a nibble of food on his own but isn't eating a lot.

He's now hoping it's not vhd but need to wait for bloods tomorrow to see if his liver is in a state or not. He has hemorrhaging in his eyes as well. So fingers crossed it's not vhd, liver failure or anything else.

I've never had a rabbit go this long not eating. But feegal never stops eating. Even when he is in serious need of a dental...

Oh poor Feegal and poor you!

Positive vibes your way. xx

Topping up the vibes for Feegal. At least you know he couldn't be in better hands than Mark's. A little food is better than no food.

Back