• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing that does not stop for years

KCG

Warren Veteran
Everyone knows that Cookie has been sneezing for years. We have been to vets for years, Cookie has been examined hundreds of times, everything has been looked at but nothing has been found, the results are clean. This increases especially during fur changing periods, or when I pet him as a pet for a long time (like in the video), he sneezes again, possibly getting hair in his nose. But this sneeze happens all the time, even during the day, from time to time for years. In Turkish, we always call sneezes allergies, but I learned that this is not allergy but actually irritation. I think this situation increases even more in winter because the windows are closed and the air in the house is dry. Do you think it sounds like irritation? How can this be solved? What are your ideas? Thanks in advance for your help 🩷🩷

If it is from dry air, a humidifier can put moisture back into the air. Though you can also add humidity by running the shower, boiling water, and with bunny safe plants.
He is very cute.

Rabbits are obligate nose breathers and are very sensitive to dry atmospheres. Central heating can trigger respiratory problems in Rabbits. As can the use of anything like scented candles, defusers etc. Scented products used for domestic cleaning can be another irritant.

Once a Rabbit has had a few respiratory tract infections, which if I remember correctly Cookie had when you were still living in Turkey, the previous infections can cause scaring within the nasal passages and this results in a chronic rhinitis. One of my Rabbits, Roisin, has this problem.

Lots of fresh air, the use of atmospheric humidifiers, trying to minimise the use of any scented cleaning products and not having the central heating on too high can all help. But IME sometimes the chronic sneezing never goes away. Most Rabbits cope, but obviously it’s not an ideal situation. It can also sometimes mean the affected Rabbit is prone to further bacterial Respiratory tract infections. Which Roisin has just developed now. This always requires Veterinary attention.

Reactions: KCG
If it is from dry air, a humidifier can put moisture back into the air. Though you can also add humidity by running the shower, boiling water, and with bunny safe plants.
He is very cute.
Thank you very much for your toughts and suggestions 🩷🩷🩷

Rabbits are obligate nose breathers and are very sensitive to dry atmospheres. Central heating can trigger respiratory problems in Rabbits. As can the use of anything like scented candles, defusers etc. Scented products used for domestic cleaning can be another irritant.

Once a Rabbit has had a few respiratory tract infections, which if I remember correctly Cookie had when you were still living in Turkey, the previous infections can cause scaring within the nasal passages and this results in a chronic rhinitis. One of my Rabbits, Roisin, has this problem.

Lots of fresh air, the use of atmospheric humidifiers, trying to minimise the use of any scented cleaning products and not having the central heating on too high can all help. But IME sometimes the chronic sneezing never goes away. Most Rabbits cope, but obviously it’s not an ideal situation. It can also sometimes mean the affected Rabbit is prone to further bacterial Respiratory tract infections. Which Roisin has just developed now. This always requires Veterinary attention.
If there is rhinitis, can this be seen with xray? Cookie's nose was examined with a camera, his entire skull and body were examined with x-rays, but it was clean. Veterinarians said on xrays that Cookie's nasal passages were narrow due to his skull structure and breed.
What I noticed is that Cookie's sneezing increases the most during the fur change period, sometimes when you make him a pet, he sneezes (like in the video), probably because of the small furs, and our house is always 22.5 degrees, in winter. In fact, sometimes my nose gets very dry at home in the winter, and at that time I pay attention to the fact that Cookie's sneezing increases in parallel with me.

I also want to add another question, can this condition worsen as he gets older?

By the way, I'm not sure about the situation in Turkey. Maybe Cookie was just sneezing due to irritation, but since they didn't understand it, they might have thought it was a respiratory tract infection.

Chronic rhinitis has to be managed, a cure isnt always possible. As Cookie is known to have narrow basal passages this will be a contributory factor. What you need to do is try to minimise his exposure to things likely to irritate the nasal passages ie dry atmospheric conditions, the use of scented air fresheners/candles etc, minimise exposure to dust. I find some hays will trigger more sneezing for Roisin, even if the hay is dust free. Unless Cookie was unwell within himself, had active bacterial infection or on the advice of a Rabbit Savvy Vet I would not be putting Cookie through more diagnostics. It’s unlikely they would reveal anything that would offer further treatment options. Chronic rhinitis doesn’t always get worse with age. Every case will be different. In some cases the problem can just stop, for no obvious reason.

Reactions: KCG
Chronic rhinitis has to be managed, a cure isnt always possible. As Cookie is known to have narrow basal passages this will be a contributory factor. What you need to do is try to minimise his exposure to things likely to irritate the nasal passages ie dry atmospheric conditions, the use of scented air fresheners/candles etc, minimise exposure to dust. I find some hays will trigger more sneezing for Roisin, even if the hay is dust free. Unless Cookie was unwell within himself, had active bacterial infection or on the advice of a Rabbit Savvy Vet I would not be putting Cookie through more diagnostics. It’s unlikely they would reveal anything that would offer further treatment options. Chronic rhinitis doesn’t always get worse with age. Every case will be different. In some cases the problem can just stop, for no obvious reason.
Thank you so much Jane, what you said is very helpful 🩷🩷🩷

This week Cookie's sneezing has decreased, but this time his snoring has increased too much. Then yesterday I noticed that the bottoms of Cookie's front paws were yellow and dirty, I will take him to the vet today for a checkup.

Sounds as though he has been wiping his nose a lot. Not sure if you have a nebuliser for him ? The snoring could indicate that his sinuses are bunged up. Nebulising with a sterile saline solution can help the sinuses to drain.

Sounds as though he has been wiping his nose a lot. Not sure if you have a nebuliser for him ? The snoring could indicate that his sinuses are bunged up. Nebulising with a sterile saline solution can help the sinuses to drain.
We don't have a nebulizer here right now but I can get one for cookies, we are at the vet now, let's see what they say, thank you Jane really xxx🩷🩷🩷🩷

Now we came home from the vet, the vet said Cookie's nose and eyes were very clean and everything was completely normal, watch for any other symptoms or worsening, but everything is absolutely normal now and even his front paws are clean, he said. 🙄 I hope so, but cookie is completely healthy for now.

@Pets mum @InspectorMorse thank you both very much 🩷🩷

Back