• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Opinion on Mouth Ulcer / Kidney Failure

Slightly better news on my boy Barney. He's not eating and there are only half a dozen poos but he's brighter and feistier than he was the last time this particular vet saw him on Monday.
Also, Siuna the rabbit expert is in today and is planning to look in his mouth to see if what they're giving him has had an effect.
I stated my worries about why it hasn't healed yet but was told for an ulcer that size they'd expect it to take a bit longer

Thank you. I feel slightly more optimistic, though that increase is from a very low level.
They've upped his painkillers. I'm hoping they'll either notice a reduction in the ulcer or formulate a new plan to reduce it

Update:
I received a phonecall yesterday afternoon from head rabbit vet Siuna to say on examination that the tongue looked like it had fully healed. I can't express my joy at that news.
He had the nasal feeding tube removed this morning.
He still isn't eating on his own and there were only 2 poos overnight but he can now receive Critical Care rather than the low-fibre food they could fit through the nasal tube.
He's not out of the woods but obviously I feel happier with gut slowdown (that Barney has had 20+ times) than the prospect of a tumour.

Update: Barney is still in the vet. Bar a few strands of hay he hasn't eaten for himself and is still being syringe fed. He's bright enough, kicking off when being given meds but just won't eat.
They've upped his feeding as his weight has dropped slightly from 1.92kg to 1.88kg.
I'm glad it's Monday as there's now a full complement of staff to look after him.

Thanks for the update. I wouldn't be concerned about that small amount of weight loss. It could just be the difference before and after a wee :) But it's great that there will now be lots of staff to observe him.

I know the distance to and from the surgery is an issue, but I still believe he might be far more likely to eat for himself if he’s at home. Just my personal opinion for what it’s worth :)

I also agree with Omi, the weight loss is minimal and unless he is already emaciated that amount of loss would not concern me.

I know the distance to and from the surgery is an issue, but I still believe he might be far more likely to eat for himself if he’s at home. Just my personal opinion for what it’s worth :)

I also agree with Omi, the weight loss is minimal and unless he is already emaciated that amount of loss would not concern me.

I agree with this as well. Rabbits usually eat better in a familiar environment, and that weight loss wouldn't worry me under these circumstances - just keep an eye on it eg by weighing weekly.

Thank you for the update. Glad he is still a bit feisty. Sending vibes that he will begin eating on his own soon.

He's still not eating on his own but the vet reported that he's properly feisty now, trashing his pen and growling at the vets. This has always been a good sign with Barney.
Still very few poos but his pen was filled with caecals. They're happy about this as it shows his guts are firing up. The caecals are being mixed with his syringe feed to create what seems like the worst smoothie ever

He's still not eating on his own but the vet reported that he's properly feisty now, trashing his pen and growling at the vets. This has always been a good sign with Barney.
Still very few poos but his pen was filled with caecals. They're happy about this as it shows his guts are firing up. The caecals are being mixed with his syringe feed to create what seems like the worst smoothie ever

Have you mentioned the possibility of him coming home? It sounds as though he’s cross and stressed now rather than in pain, hence the not eating.

Hope his fecal output will improve. Are they allowing him some time out of the cage to exercise? This can really help gut motility. It might cheer him up a bit too.

I'm going to give it another couple of days before suggesting he comes home. It's a 90 minute round trip that he finds very stressful and upsets his eating. He gets so upset at the trip that he no longer has to have 3 month med checks for the liquid paracetamol he's on. But if there's no sign of improvement by Thursday I'll suggest it, at least for 24 hours.

He's allowed to run around the rabbit room they have, he's been having a strop there too, throwing things around. I always take it as a good indicator of how Barney is feeling, when he's feisty he's feeling better.
The vet backed up what I'd been thinking, it was such a big and painful ulcer that it'll take time for Barney's system to go back to normal.

About 4-5 months ago I took Barney on that round trip to the vet for a med check. It upset him so much he didn't eat properly for 3-4 days.

Back