• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heidi cancer update March 15 2024

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
On Saturday afternoin, I noticed Heidi did not eat her morning pellets or treats. While she had poo in her litter box, it was not as much as I expected. I held her and she felt strong. She got a dose of Medicam before I left to visit my sister. Upon returning, I saw she ate only a few pellets. It was seven hours later that I decided to try a small quantity of syringe feed and while I mixed it she made six poo that looked pretty normal. She got 1/2 serving of syringe feed, motility med, and sub q fluids. She made a lot more poo and is eating better.
I would appreciate vibes that she will continue to poo, pee, and eat over the holiday weekend.

Come on Heidi, please give your mother Christmas poops and pee, sending lots of vibes for Heidi xxx

Zoobec, Inspector Morse, Omi, Dollyanna, KCG, and Pets Mum.
Thank you for the comforting vibes.
I am clearing poo from Heidi's area several times a day an I see that she is making regular poops. She is also eating most of her pellets as soon as she gets them and is eating some hay.
She will continue to get Medicam, fluids, and a maintenance dose of motility meds until I am sure she will not relapse.

Well done Heidi, I'm very happy with this update, I hope it doesn't happen again 🩷🩷

On Tuesday evening my nephew was holding Heidi as I cleaned her area and I noticed she was holding her right paw up and not putting much weight on it. It looks swollen at the wrist.
This may explain why she went into stasis on Saturday and why she is not using her litterbox as well as she always did in the past.
She has been getting pain meds since Saturday afternoon.
I feel awful I did not notice this sooner. I will call vet and hope she can be checked out this week.

I just got back from the vets. It is worse than I thought. Her elbow has a large hard growth and there is another softer growth on her forearm. Vet aspirated some tissue from the softer growth and it is not an abscess. It is a tumor. Vet suspects other growth may have started in her bone.
Vet said cannot just remove growths due to location. Current growths are causing her pain. Only option is for her to be a tripod bunny.
She likes to lounge and eat so she will probably do ok as a tripod, even though she is already an older bunny.
On the day of surgery she would be checked in for sedation and x rays to check her lungs and other organs for growths before deciding if it is in her best interest to put her through surgery the same day.

Their surgical schedule is booked solid, so we plan on Jan 16 unless they have a cancellation sooner (I hope). She will get additional Medicam to keep her comfortable.

IM, Graciee, KCG,
She is almost 11, yet you would not know it by looking at her. She has remained relatively healthy until she began using her litterbox less a couple months ago. She was very good with litterbox usage for pee and poo so she had a vet visit last month and we decided not to sedate her for an x-ray. I regret that decision.
My heart is heavy.

Back