• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heidi cancer update March 15 2024

I am pleased to read how well Heidi is coping and how happy she is within herself. I hope that her Vet check goes well on Thursday and that Heidi can remain with you for as long as possible.

I didn’t realise that you are having your second knee replacement soon. This must make coping with two health compromised Rabbits especially stressful. I am sure that your Spouse will take on the responsibility of being the care giver whilst you are incapacitated. It’s good to know you can rely on him, even if I suspect you would still feel happier to be able to do it all yourself. I can empathise with feeling like that.
Thank you for your thoughts.
This time I am staying overnight at hospital rather than going home same day. I will not be able to help much with bunnies for a short while.
I am teaching spouse to give meds to Heidi. Medicam she takes without picking her up, though the gabapentin requires someone to put the syringe in her mouth then she accepts it. Spouse can do Heidi's clean outs which I usually do, and he has continued to do the morning clean outs for my lionheads and I do evening one. He helps me with Raven's daily clean outs.
However, spouse cannot get the hang of syringe feeding Raven, and is not able to do his fluids alone. If Raven still fighting, I will give him fluids and feeds before we leave for hospital and hope it will be enough until I return the next day.

Thank you Zoobec and Pets mum,

I scheduled my knee now because it was painful over the summer and limited my ability to enjoy things. I am hoping to have a better recovery if I have it done before the muscles and connective tissue becomes compromised. With my sister's cancer progressing, I want to be recovered enough to assist her when the time comes...hopefully long from now.

Heidi appreciate s the vibes and is looking forward to being spoiled. I wonder if she gained weight with all the spoiling!!

Heidi seems to be a special type of bunny who copes with her health issues ❤️ I hope her vet visit goes well. I also hope that she remains comfortable for a long while.

I will be thinking of you when you have your knee replacement done. I'm sure it will be concerning, but the fact that at each stage you will have been there before, will I think be reassuring to you. Staying overnight in a hospital is a good plan.

Yay for brave Heidi & the wonderful support you're giving her. She is a lucky girl getting imported treats, exclusive seed head rights & homemade fleeces ❤️ I hope your next op goes well. I'm sure your spouse can manage her care well - Boo advises you practice lots & lots with the treat administrations

Thank you Omi , Joey and Boo, and all our friends,
Heidi has already adopted Boo's policy on treat administration. 😂

You are right that Heidi is coping well with her cancer. When I got her she was trained to pose for judging in youth competitions, so she does tolerate handling well. However she is easily stressed like she was today at the vets. Her original name was Fraidie. Even at home she prefers to be safely in her enclosure as she enjoys pets.
Her respiration was fast so vet asked how it is at home where it is slower.
Her lungs were clear so that is a positive, though vet said it can change quickly.
Vet said the lump I felt on her opposite side was a lymph node. Heidi tolerated her exam well. Her ears are very clean. I did not clean the small amount of crusts around the eye before vet, still her eyes were bright. Heidi pulled away when vet examined her right arm where the tumor was bigger. This morning I delayed giving her medicam by an hour or so because I did not want her examined when pain meds were freshly in her system, though she still had her overnight Gabapentin in her system.
Even though she does not put weight on her arm, Vet was glad she was still trying to do her usual bunny things. She tries to pull her towel with both hands and wash with both hands even though the side with the tumor is not successful. Pkus she jumps in het litterbox more often than not-always right after it is cleaned so she can leave us a bunch of perfect poos in the pristine box. She is keeping her super soft black rex fur well groomed too.
The downside is the confirmation of the tumor on her lymph node, the increased size of the original tumor on her arm, and her not using the litter box a third of the time when she needs to pee or poo.
Spouse has ten days to practice giving medication. Tell Boo that my spouse excels in treat administration, but Heidi will not share her papa people with anyone!

I'm really glad Heidi's lungs were clear, and that she tolerated the exam well, except for when the vet examined her arm. I'm really sorry, though, about the confirmed tumour on her lymph node, and that the other one has gotten bigger. It's quite impressive, really, that she still manages to keep herself so well-groomed, and that she's coping so well with her cancer. Does her litter box have high sides? Maybe getting one she can walk into would be helpful for her, like one with one or more low sides?

I'm really glad Heidi's lungs were clear, and that she tolerated the exam well, except for when the vet examined her arm. I'm really sorry, though, about the confirmed tumour on her lymph node, and that the other one has gotten bigger. It's quite impressive, really, that she still manages to keep herself so well-groomed, and that she's coping so well with her cancer. Does her litter box have high sides? Maybe getting one she can walk into would be helpful for her, like one with one or more low sides?
Thank you for your good thoughts and suggestion. Raven has a second low side litterbox she can use if needed. However it does not hold much litter. A few years ago she started to chew the plastic litter tray, so we gets medium sized disposable ones with sides that are moderately high.
I was going to get her larger puppy pads like Raven's, yet she always had fleece blankets outside her litterbox, so I made her some more double layered fleece blankets to put on top of other pads to absorb any stray pee. We change the litter material and her blankets/ pads daily.
Sending nose bumps to Sophie and Casper.

It sounds as though the vet has confirmed that Heidi is coping well, although I can understand your sadness of confirmation of the increase in size of the original tumour plus the one on the lymph node.

I think the vet is right to be pleased at the fact that Heidi is still doing bunny things and whilst she is not always successful in accessing in the litter tray, I personally would want to still see her attempt this. I think that the more that Heidi can still feel motivated by things and also try to mobilise as much as she can, the better her emotional and physical state will be. I think that when it becomes too difficult or painful for her to do things, she will just stop trying.

Sending her lots of thoughts. She's a brave little bunny.

Thank you for your good thoughts and suggestion. Raven has a second low side litterbox she can use if needed. However it does not hold much litter. A few years ago she started to chew the plastic litter tray, so we gets medium sized disposable ones with sides that are moderately high.
I was going to get her larger puppy pads like Raven's, yet she always had fleece blankets outside her litterbox, so I made her some more double layered fleece blankets to put on top of other pads to absorb any stray pee. We change the litter material and her blankets/ pads daily.
Sending nose bumps to Sophie and Casper.
Aah, I see! Heidi, litter boxes are not for chewing. Silly girl. ❤️ You take care of her so well, bunny momma, and of Raven, too (and Amber and Zorro, of course!). She has such a wonderful home with you.
Sophie and Casper are napping, but I'll pass along the nose bumps when they wake up.

Hopefully Heidi is still being her strong and determined self. I expect that you are feeling anxious about having to be away from her when you have your surgery. But your Spouse will take great care of her for you ❤️ As he will with Raven, Amber and Zorro x

Hopefully Heidi is still being her strong and determined self. I expect that you are feeling anxious about having to be away from her when you have your surgery. But your Spouse will take great care of her for you ❤️ As he will with Raven, Amber and Zorro x
Thank you for your positivity.
Heidi has acted a bit more stressed since the vet visit Thursday. Spouse is struggling with medicating Heidi who is the easier of the two and has not attempted Raven. So I am regretting that I scheduled my surgery for now. Surgery was not as urgent as my other knee which still needs to get stronger.

Thank you for your positivity.
Heidi has acted a bit more stressed since the vet visit Thursday. Spouse is struggling with medicating Heidi who is the easier of the two and has not attempted Raven. So I am regretting that I scheduled my surgery for now. Surgery was not as urgent as my other knee which still needs to get stronger.

I wonder if your Spouse needs to feel more confident with the medicating as the Bunnies will pick up on any anxiety and consequently the Bunnies become less co-operative.

Is there any way that medication could be given in or on food. I know this is not always successful, but it might be worth experimenting with some different foods. Obviously not huge portions, just enough to disguise the meds.

I wonder if your Spouse needs to feel more confident with the medicating as the Bunnies will pick up on any anxiety and consequently the Bunnies become less co-operative.

Is there any way that medication could be given in or on food. I know this is not always successful, but it might be worth experimenting with some different foods. Obviously not huge portions, just enough to disguise the meds.
I think this sounds like a good idea to try.

Thank you for the suggestion.
I know food will not work with Raven since he is hit and miss on his eating, plus he would still need syringe feeds and fluids. My hope is new abx will get him eating and drinking better so those would not be needed.
Heidi loves her pellets. Not sure if adding meds to pellets will get her to take meds, or result in her leaving the pellets. We can try, though spouse may be ok if he practices.

Last edited:
Sometimes trying to create a ‘drug treat’ works. I have often had success by mixing meds into a spoonful of grated carrot and apple.

Sometimes trying to create a ‘drug treat’ works. I have often had success by mixing meds into a spoonful of grated carrot and apple.
I remember this and the "shreddies" treats...I think the Inspector enjoyed his metacam in those?

Sending prayers that a way can be found to help your spouse to more easily care for the bunnies, bunny momma. And prayers for your surgery and recovery to go well. xxxxx

Spouse is doing a great job taking care of Heidi as I recovery from surgery. He is giving her pain meds four times each day and provides all of her care.
She is still eating and drinking well, though is using the litter box a little less often, using her cuddly fleece blankets which he changes daily. He washes them too.
She looks forward to her head pets and enjoys her food hay and treats. She amazes me when she tries to dig with her bad arm. .

Back