• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would It Be Wrong To?

After the events of this week (rabbit unexpectedly giving birth) I have to say I cannot fathom why anyone who hasn's experience and time to do this would even think about it. It's on my mind when I go to sleep, I wake up it;s the first thing I think about, I've spent a fortune on supplies and whittled myself silly (I'm normally very laid back). And not only re the mum and kits. The dad's depressed, missing his friend, and so now the thought is I'll have to either keep two or get two from rescue to keep the original two company. Which will mean bigger hutches, bigger runs and more time spent.

And added to that, if I'm honest I don't think I will have the heart- after two cold nights spent traisping outside and sitting trying to get mum to feed, and getting to know these kits as individuals,- I don't think I can bear to find them new homes. That's alot of bonding / neutering / spaying / food/ hay/ bedding and waving goodbye to the large decked area I wanted in my garden! That's potentially about 10 rabbits, from two :shock:

I have to admit in my grief of loosing our baby boy JD (bunny) and miscarrying I did breed Flopsi. Her daughters live with her, and it was a rash mistake. But their lives aren't a mistake to me. I love them, and they take the place of no rescue.

After all it's my love for them that made me spur on to run a rescue.

I know better now, and would never breed. Baby bunnies are far too heartbreaking. We lost half of Flopsi's litter to EC, and then there was the babies a netherland dwarf had here a few weeks back she lost them all. It brings back too many emotions in me to be around baby bunnies :(

I did this. I have some wonderful bunnies and Flash's genes live on for another generation (bear in mind the youngest bunnies will be 4 this year). However, I would not do it again in the future and if I knew then, all I knew now, I would not have done it then.

I did it due to being blinded and driven by grief to try and find Flash and keep him alive.

However, had I not done all that, and not learnt all I know, then I wouldn't have gotten involved in the RSPCA and started taking on the special and needy bunnies, so whilst it wasn't something I would do now, it has had some wonderful consequences and results in all the rescue rabbits that have passed through these doors and all the owners and bunnies I ahve helped via the RSPCA.

This. Well, mine was the buck, Mischa. I have Mini now and wouldn't ever change that but I won't do it again. Just too many in rescues and too much risk to Mum.

In theory, yes. I've never understood people who let their animals breed then give them all away free to good home but if you were keeping them it makes sense - you have lots of little mini-mes running around which would be lovely.

But in reality you're risking the mum's life, both by putting her through a pregnancy and by leaving her unspayed.

And as others have said you don't know the genetic history, and really you could go to most rescues and find a litter of baby bunnies if it was babies you wanted

Believe me, I know you would never breed from Lola or any other bun with dental problems :)

These babies are hypothetical - they don't exist just now. But there are lots and lots of babies already in the rescue system waiting for homes. If you breed from you own rabbit - besides the risks to her and to the babies if you have to hand rear - you are depriving an existing baby a home.

If you want more rabbits - and have the funds to vaccinate, neuter, fund vet fees and house them - go to a rescue and choose to give the gift of life to animals who exist now rather than create more.

These babies are hypothetical - they don't exist just now. But there are lots and lots of babies already in the rescue system waiting for homes. If you breed from you own rabbit - besides the risks to her and to the babies if you have to hand rear - you are depriving an existing baby a home.

If you want more rabbits - and have the funds to vaccinate, neuter, fund vet fees and house them - go to a rescue and choose to give the gift of life to animals who exist now rather than create more.

I think what the point of this thread is, if the babies are to be kept. And so not taking a home from a rescue bun.

yeah but I guess if the person who was going to breed was wanting more bunnies, they could just rescue instead :)

Yeah. I did it more out of my grief of loosing a baby, and then Flopsi lost her fostered child and I wanted to give her babies. Was a childish stupid idea, but when under that much stress and grief I guess we do foolish things. I love my grandbunnies though, and they are replacing no rescue buns.

I'd never do it again though, or say it was okay to do. Bunnies can easily bond once neutered and given time.

Yeah. I did it more out of my grief of loosing a baby, and then Flopsi lost her fostered child and I wanted to give her babies. Was a childish stupid idea, but when under that much stress and grief I guess we do foolish things. I love my grandbunnies though, and they are replacing no rescue buns.

I'd never do it again though, or say it was okay to do. Bunnies can easily bond once neutered and given time.

Aww I'm so sorry for your loss :cry:

I thought Flopsie had an accidental litter because of your nephew putting her and a male together?

Last edited:
Aww I'm so sorry for your loss :cry:

I thought Flopsie had an accidental litter because of your nephew putting her and a male together?

She did. I had bonded Storm with Flopsi and her two daughters. Benji had been let out. Storm had only been bonded with them a week :( He hoped over the pen in my room and did the norty. It's a good thing his daughters were too young. Never ever let my nephew with them since. x

I have bred in the past- all be it accidentally rather than through conscious choice. However my aims in life are now very different than they were when i was naive enough not to have my rabbit neutered.

My ambition is to save animals rather than breed them. I can see the appeal of breeding animals- its' lovely seeing the babies grow up. It is a personal choice really.

Breeding is essential to the continuation of life of any species. I don't begrudge a rabbit any right to have babies. I do think all animals have the exact same desire and right to breed, but it can get out of control to some degree.

As humans we like to domesticate animals out of there wild habitats and therefore you could say that need to be responsible for there welfare. When bunny's are homeless because of irresponsible breeders who can't find homes for there kits this is a shame. When a person has a litter and decides to be caring enough to keep the kits i don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with it no.

I do think it's very altruistic knowing that bunnies may be suffering to take in a rescue bunny as pose to breed your own for pleasure. Some people think bunnies are below human beings in consciousness- i do not. I just think we are different. It's rather arrogant of a human species to presume to know what is right or wrong for another species or make life changing decisions for another species- but we do.

Of course i do like to philosophize about life rather than have a black or white opinion and i believe there are always two sides to all matters. I have friends who are breeders. They just choose a different path to me that is all. No person is greater for the path they choose, because ultimately none of us know why we are here and what is the ultimate reason for our existence or what we are here to do. If you are on a rescue forum, people will say breeding is bad etc- if you are around breeders they will give you another story.

I think you should look in your heart and decide what is right for you.

I have bred in the past- all be it accidentally rather than through conscious choice. However my aims in life are now very different than they were when i was naive enough not to have my rabbit neutered.

My ambition is to save animals rather than breed them. I can see the appeal of breeding animals- its' lovely seeing the babies grow up. It is a personal choice really.

Breeding is essential to the continuation of life of any species. I don't begrudge a rabbit any right to have babies. I do think all animals have the exact same desire and right to breed, but it can get out of control to some degree.

As humans we like to domesticate animals out of there wild habitats and therefore you could say that need to be responsible for there welfare. When bunny's are homeless because of irresponsible breeders who can't find homes for there kits this is a shame. When a person has a litter and decides to be caring enough to keep the kits i don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with it no.

I do think it's very altruistic knowing that bunnies may be suffering to take in a rescue bunny as pose to breed your own for pleasure. Some people think bunnies are below human beings in consciousness- i do not. I just think we are different. It's rather arrogant of a human species to presume to know what is right or wrong for another species or make life changing decisions for another species- but we do.

Of course i do like to philosophize about life rather than have a black or white opinion and i believe there are always two sides to all matters. I have friends who are breeders. They just choose a different path to me that is all. No person is greater for the path they choose, because ultimately none of us know why we are here and what is the ultimate reason for our existence or what we are here to do. If you are on a rescue forum, people will say breeding is bad etc- if you are around breeders they will give you another story.

I think you should look in your heart and decide what is right for you.

wow I would not have had the patience to have wrote that. But I agree :D

I think what the point of this thread is, if the babies are to be kept. And so not taking a home from a rescue bun.

But they are still 'taking' a home from a rescue bun...because if the person who breeds them has the time, capacity, finance etc to care for an additional up to 8 rabbits, then they could go to a rescue and get a group of rabbits who are desperately waiting for homes instead.

Groups can spend ages in rescues because people are mostly looking for one to bond or a pair. If someone was able to offer a group of 3,4, or 5 etc a loving home then that would be a rarity :)

But they are still 'taking' a home from a rescue bun...because if the person who breeds them has the time, capacity, finance etc to care for an additional up to 8 rabbits, then they could go to a rescue and get a group of rabbits who are desperately waiting for homes instead.

Groups can spend ages in rescues because people are mostly looking for one to bond or a pair. If someone was able to offer a group of 3,4, or 5 etc a loving home then that would be a rarity :)

Very true. It can be looked at in both ways.

We're very lucky here, we have a group of three (mother and two daughters) going to a loving home today, person wanted a family group. In my hindsight I would have done this to begin with a neutered family group is an ideal bunny experience in my opinion.

Yes I thought that but there's also the point that they may not want to rescue because they don't know their genetic background? Just a thought.

Me on the other hand, would choose to rescue rather than breed any day. :love:

Yeah, I agree with this. If someone really wants to have a litter then maybe they could try rescuing an already pregnant rabbit instead. Or a (weaned) litter that's up for adoption- that's what I plan on doing with Russian hamsters.

Yeah, I agree with this. If someone really wants to have a litter then maybe they could try rescuing an already pregnant rabbit instead. Or a (weaned) litter that's up for adoption- that's what I plan on doing with Russian hamsters.

Quite often we get pregnant bunnies in the rescue's not always do the babies make it. But when they do I can't bare to separate from mom unless I really have to. I'm far to maternal and human :lol:

But quite often rescue's get mom and baby scenario. Easy to adopt them from us, we're more than happy if someone has a nice large hutch/shed/run.

If someone really wants to have a litter then maybe they could try rescuing an already pregnant rabbit instead.

I would sincerely hope that no rescue worth its salt would rehome a pregnant female! No reason someone couldn't foster for a rescue though if they met its standards and potentially formally adopt the babies later once they were weaned and neutered :)

I would sincerely hope that no rescue worth its salt would rehome a pregnant female! No reason someone couldn't foster for a rescue though if they met its standards and potentially formally adopt the babies later once they were weaned and neutered :)

I didn't mean from a rescue. From a friend/newspaper/online ad or something. I'm sure it happens often.

Back