• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do you buy your hay from?

He hasn't got a litter tray as such. As a house bun I left him to go in his one place in his cage so that he didn't spray in random places and now I don't want to interfere with his placings. He has his corner in the cage so I can put mega zorb there and then put a mixture of hay and wood shavings to create a soft bottom. I'll still use newspaper as it adds that bit of protection from bacteria etc

Putting a litter tray in the corner wont upset his habits :) you could get one of those corner ones if you are worried. Theres no need for one if youre cleaning that corner out every day anyway but would reduce mess and cleaning time a lot.

Yeah I don't understand why the bales aren't on there. :? Megazorb isn't either but the other stuff I get is. Very odd. You could always give them a call.

Maybe, or I might wait till my housemate is back and bribe him with mcdonalds to go to the farm shop :lol:

Can I ask what is this box youre keeping the hay in? And is it inside or out?

Maybe, or I might wait till my housemate is back and bribe him with mcdonalds to go to the farm shop :lol:

Can I ask what is this box youre keeping the hay in? And is it inside or out?

Course you can! It's a garden storage box from Homebase, it's designed for garden stuff like loungers and cushions, but it's the perfect size for a bale. We keep it in the garage so I have no idea how waterproof it is. I'll find you the link.

Ohh thats alot then :lol: at the moment I clean Pierre out weekly but replace the wood shavings where he pee's every other day, so with mega zorb would probably do the same but it would last quite a lot. I looked at the hay experts unfortunately at the moment it wasn't suitable as billing and delivery address have to be the same, but I'm working in my parents town soon so I can pick it up quite easily. Plan :D

The addresses don't need to be the same, my billing address is my parents' house and I get most of my deliveries sent to my house :)

The addresses don't need to be the same, my billing address is my parents' house and I get most of my deliveries sent to my house :)

Oh right, have no idea what I was looking at then. I will have another look. I got myself in trouble with next doing that :lol: realised I couldn't pay off my account as they weren't the same.

Don't worry Nessar this is helping me as well. Its good to hear what everyone does as it allows me to change what I buy so I can buy the best recommended. A litter tray would definately be good theres one corner where he goes to munch on my walls so it would protect that as well :lol:

Oh right, have no idea what I was looking at then. I will have another look. I got myself in trouble with next doing that :lol: realised I couldn't pay off my account as they weren't the same.

Don't worry Nessar this is helping me as well. Its good to hear what everyone does as it allows me to change what I buy so I can buy the best recommended. A litter tray would definately be good theres one corner where he goes to munch on my walls so it would protect that as well :lol:

Ahh thats ok then :) By the way you wouldnt need to use the shavings as well as megazorb is super soft and kind of fluffy, lots more so than shavings.

Maybe something high-backed like this would protect the wall?
2r77n7k.jpg

excuse the tiny cage, it is 120cm long hes just big, will be upgrading soon hopefully :oops:

A review says its waterproof :) do you think I could keep hay inside though? Im in a flat next year. Sorry Twiggy btw just realised Im hijacking this a bit! Hope its stuff you need to know too :oops:

I see no reason why it couldn't go inside if you had the space. I warn you though, there is a HUGE temptation to put stuff on top and then you have to take it off to get to the hay all the time :oops:

Last edited:
I see no reason why it couldn't go inside if you had the space. I warn you though, there is a HUGE temptation to put stuff on top and then you have to take it off to get to the hay all the time :oops:

Oh I know, I have a wooden one for the hamsters stuff and Barneys hay and in the end I gave up and now keep it in many many storage boxes stacked up. I just cant get into it without spending half hour tidying it :oops: its terrible.

What Im worried about is the heating being on and you hear those stories of hay spontaneously combusting :shock:

Ahh thats ok then :) By the way you wouldnt need to use the shavings as well as megazorb is super soft and kind of fluffy, lots more so than shavings.

Maybe something high-backed like this would protect the wall?
2r77n7k.jpg

excuse the tiny cage, it is 120cm long hes just big, will be upgrading soon hopefully :oops:

Yeah i've seen those, they definately would suit the bill. The problem with my cage is his little spot (hes very picky) is in front of his shelf, he loves that shelf, so I wouldn't be able to put a litter tray in there without having to have him move his spot :lol:. However I can put one in my room when he free ranges that would definately protect the wall.

Don't worry my cage is probably the same size but it opens at the front. Its not perfect but it is fine for what we have at the moment :) .
Do you use megazorb to cover the whole cage floor as well? Reason I was asking about it on another thread was because I was worried abotu how rough the shavings were affecting his feet so wanted to change the cage lining.

Thank you for your help. Lovely bunny :love:

Oh I know, I have a wooden one for the hamsters stuff and Barneys hay and in the end I gave up and now keep it in many many storage boxes stacked up. I just cant get into it without spending half hour tidying it :oops: its terrible.

What Im worried about is the heating being on and you hear those stories of hay spontaneously combusting :shock:

Do you? :lol: Hmm, yeah maybe it's not such a good idea unless you can keep it away from radiators?

Yeah i've seen those, they definately would suit the bill. The problem with my cage is his little spot (hes very picky) is in front of his shelf, he loves that shelf, so I wouldn't be able to put a litter tray in there without having to have him move his spot :lol:. However I can put one in my room when he free ranges that would definately protect the wall.

Don't worry my cage is probably the same size but it opens at the front. Its not perfect but it is fine for what we have at the moment :) .
Do you use megazorb to cover the whole cage floor as well? Reason I was asking about it on another thread was because I was worried abotu how rough the shavings were affecting his feet so wanted to change the cage lining.

Thank you for your help. Lovely bunny :love:

Nope I did use the carpet that you see in there (free from the carpet shop) but his water bottle kept leaking and it never dried properly and so I took it out and replaced it with his blanket.

I dont see any point covering the floor with expensive and messy litter, as hes inside so it doesnt matter about warmth. Plus he'd kick it out every time he hopped out his cage. I did try hay covering the whole base but he dug it up into heaps at the side and prefered to sleep on the plastic. I would use lino but he doesnt like it (put him in the kitchen and he refused to move) but plenty of other people use it.

Oh I thought the wall was maybe next to the cage, if its out the cage maybe using some of those storage cube squares you could just block access?

And you have a shelf in one of these cages? Howd you manage that?

Do you? :lol: Hmm, yeah maybe it's not such a good idea unless you can keep it away from radiators?

Just googled it and apparently it is wet hay when it is kept in large quantities :oops::oops: just me being paranoid. Hmm I might actually just keep it in the wooden chest and I can find somewhere else for the hamsters stuff.

We use one of those, outside (albeit in a sheltered spot) and it does keep the contents pretty dry - I emptied it out the other day and there was only a very small damp spot in one corner. A bale fits in nicely, with just enough room to squeeze a few bags of pellets , 'treat' hay etc in.

To answer the main question, we had been buying 'Huwbryn' bagged hay from the local farmers supplies place, but have just started buying whole bales from a local farm.

Nope I did use the carpet that you see in there (free from the carpet shop) but his water bottle kept leaking and it never dried properly and so I took it out and replaced it with his blanket.

I dont see any point covering the floor with expensive and messy litter, as hes inside so it doesnt matter about warmth. Plus he'd kick it out every time he hopped out his cage. I did try hay covering the whole base but he dug it up into heaps at the side and prefered to sleep on the plastic. I would use lino but he doesnt like it (put him in the kitchen and he refused to move) but plenty of other people use it.

Oh I thought the wall was maybe next to the cage, if its out the cage maybe using some of those storage cube squares you could just block access?

And you have a shelf in one of these cages? Howd you manage that?

It came with the cage, but Pierre loves to sit on it and go under neath it so I didn't want to take it away as he enjoys it. Hes only ever in his cage for couple of hours so I didn't think it was detrimental. Yeah I was just looking for something to cover the newspaper as he might get ink on his feet, I might try a blanket easy to wash as well.

I buy it by the bale from a local farm shop. :D

I usually buy one bale at a time and then buy a new one when the one I'm using has almost gone. The last couple of times I've been though, I've been buying two bales at a time to save me making extra trips in the bad weather.

I store the bales inside old duvet covers in the shed and have had no problems with it going 'off' or anything (& I only have two buns so don't get through a bale very quickly). As long as it can breathe (plastic is the worst for making it sweat) it will last for ages. :thumb:

What a good idea!!! OMG! I get my hay from a local food supplier, but I have to take something to put the bale in. I never thought about an old duvet cover! You're BRILLIANT!!!!
:wave::lol::wave:

Back