• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toxic plant, or ok?


New Kit
I have this plant on my property/farm, but I can't find any information If this would be toxic to feed my bunny. Would it be toxic to Bunny? It grows wild, and we do not use pesticides or chemicals anywhere on the property. It's called Hoary Cress - Lepidium draba. 1000088951.jpg


  • 1000088950.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 3
You are wise to try to find out about this plant. I personally would not feed it to my Rabbits. If in doubt leave it out!
I feed a very large range of wild plants from our property here. I have never encountered this species and so have never fed it.

I've found a lot of information online regarding potential toxicity, but only in relation to it being mildly toxic to cattle, but harmless to sheep and goats. The basis of this toxicity is that it contains glucosinolates.

My view is that it is a Mustard and a Brassica and several other members of the Brassica family also contain glucosinolates and are routinely fed to rabbits i.e. cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and various root vegetables (e.g. radish and turnip).

I therefore would not like to advise whether or not you should feed this plant to your bunny. Information regarding toxicity of wild plants for rabbits is very often unavailable and sometimes even contradictory.

I think the best I can do is to copy the information I have found and let you decide. If you do decide to give it a try, I would follow the general advice that when introducing a new plant, feed a very small amount and observe for any reactions.