• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

    Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

    You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

    We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

    Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tippex Porkychicken- Headtilt/Ear Infection/E.c. Update 22/2: Down eye now open (pic)

lilbun

Warren Veteran
My poor girl is only just getting back to normal after being in ileus all week, following her mxyi jab. Her eating and pooing has been close to normal for the last two days but we noticed last night that she was stumbling sideways whenever she tries to scratch her left ear or groom herself. At rest she may have a very slight head tilt but it's not obvious. I think I can detect a very faint smell a bit like sour milk, although it's possible that could be from the very messy syringe feeding efforts (she is a terrible patient). Significantly, her friend Mango Fattyharebit is grooming her head lots.

She has been on metacam anyway any doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, she only scratches very occasionally and I can't see any discharge. She is at the vets this morning. I am hoping if the vet agrees it is an inner ear infection to have a swab for C&S if there is anything to swab and then start antibiotic treatment but I am wary of upsetting her guts again- I'm thinking metronidazole and maybe baytril would be a good place to start? I don't think see is strong enough to risk an anaesthetic for xrays etc at this stage.

Any thoughts and vibes greatly appreciated xx
 
Last edited:
OH NO!! :shock:

You must be worried sick, poor little Tippex Porkychicken :cry:

I don't know what to advise as you know more about rabbit medicine than I do Lilbun but what you are suggesting sounds like what we would do here. I totally agree on the metronidazole to protect her tummy, and from what i've read on here about how helpful it has been for ear infections. The only other thing I can think of would be an EC blood screen, in case she's positive and needs a course of Panacur as well - in case the vaccination and her lowered immune system has allowed the parasite to flare up and then the ear infection perhaps?
How about some probiotics too? You use profibre pellets anyway don't you? Perhaps just throw in a few extra. Will she take fibreplex if need be? I tend to only use those ones - my buns won't touch anything in their water.

Masses of vibes for my favourite RU bunny. I really hope she can get her poor immune system back on top of everything after all this bad luck in time for winter. Poor girl xx
 
My poor girl is only just getting back to normal after being in ileus all week, following her mxyi jab. Her eating and pooing has been close to normal for the last two days but we noticed last night that she was stumbling sideways whenever she tries to scratch her left ear or groom herself. At rest she may have a very slight head tilt but it's not obvious. I think I can detect a very faint smell a bit like sour milk, although it's possible that could be from the very messy syringe feeding efforts (she is a terrible patient). Significantly, her friend Mango Fattyharebit is grooming her head lots.

She has been on metacam anyway any doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, she only scratches very occasionally and I can't see any discharge. She is at the vets this morning. I am hoping if the vet agrees it is an inner ear infection to have a swab for C&S if there is anything to swab and then start antibiotic treatment but I am wary of upsetting her guts again- I'm thinking metronidazole and maybe baytril would be a good place to start? I don't think see is strong enough to risk an anaesthetic for xrays etc at this stage.

Any thoughts and vibes greatly appreciated xx

I'm just wondering if any pus may be too deep to swab without an anaesthetic? Could you see anything when you looked down?
If she did need a GA quickly i'm sure they could do a very light one and bring her round quickly, give her lots of fluids before they put her under and hopefully she would be fine if it was necessary to do this. xx
 
OH NO!! :shock:

You must be worried sick, poor little Tippex Porkychicken :cry:

I don't know what to advise as you know more about rabbit medicine than I do Lilbun but what you are suggesting sounds like what we would do here. I totally agree on the metronidazole to protect her tummy, and from what i've read on here about how helpful it has been for ear infections. The only other thing I can think of would be an EC blood screen, in case she's positive and needs a course of Panacur as well - in case the vaccination and her lowered immune system has allowed the parasite to flare up and then the ear infection perhaps?
How about some probiotics too? You use profibre pellets anyway don't you? Perhaps just throw in a few extra. Will she take fibreplex if need be? I tend to only use those ones - my buns won't touch anything in their water.

Masses of vibes for my favourite RU bunny. I really hope she can get her poor immune system back on top of everything after all this bad luck in time for winter. Poor girl xx

Thanks PL

The EC titre is a great idea, although I'm not sure Miss Porkychicken will agree- she's a nightmare patient! I was planning on doing a panacur course in a couple of weeks anyway, before she got poorly, as she has been into boarding this year.

She's on extra profibre pellets as you say- she hates fibreplex. I might add a probiotic to the water as she is drinking a little at the moment.
Hopefully we will get a good look in her ears today and we will see if she needs any eardrops too.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and vibes xx
 
If she is drinking a little from a bowl/bottle then see if you can pop some echinacea extract into the water too - mine love the taste and it might help her immunity, you never know. :)

Let us know how she gets on at the vets xx
 
If she is drinking a little from a bowl/bottle then see if you can pop some echinacea extract into the water too - mine love the taste and it might help her immunity, you never know. :)

Let us know how she gets on at the vets xx


Her left ear is full of gunk! :cry: Have sent a swab off for C&S but I'm keen to start treatment asap. Vet can say for certain whether the eardrum is intact because of all the pus...
I've decided not to do the e. c. titre at the moment as I don't want to increase her stress levels at the moment. I may go ahead when she is feeling a little better.

I don't understand how this has happened so suddenly without me noticing, even though I been watching her like a hawk for the last week. She has shown no sign or ear irritation until yesterday and was completely well in all respects until last week.

Thanks again PL. She certainly loves dried echinacea- where do you get the extract from?

I'm so worried about my precious Porkychicken :( xx
 
Gah, ear infections :evil: :cry:

Baytril and Metronidazole would be a good place to start.
Dont be surprised if the swab comes back as 'no bacterial growth'. That is often the case if the infection is deep.

Just because there is a profuse amount of pus in the outer ear it does not mean that middle ear involvement is inevitable.

I suspect she has been fighting the infection for weeks/months and the Myxi vacc just pushed her immune system over the edge.

Pus can be found in the outer ear yet the Rabbit can display no clinical symptoms at all. So dont beat yourself up about not noticing. There was probably no symptoms to notice !! The ileus may have been the result of ear pain rather than a reaction to the Myxi vacc.

Sending vibes for her xx
 
Gah, ear infections :evil: :cry:

Baytril and Metronidazole would be a good place to start.
Dont be surprised if the swab comes back as 'no bacterial growth'. That is often the case if the infection is deep.

Just because there is a profuse amount of pus in the outer ear it does not mean that middle ear involvement is inevitable.

I suspect she has been fighting the infection for weeks/months and the Myxi vacc just pushed her immune system over the edge.

Pus can be found in the outer ear yet the Rabbit can display no clinical symptoms at all. So dont beat yourself up about not noticing. There was probably no symptoms to notice !! The ileus may have been the result of ear pain rather than a reaction to the Myxi vacc.

Sending vibes for her xx

Thanks Jane. Can't help feeling like the worst Bunny Mummy in the world at the moment :(

The vet who she has seen today is not a rabbit specialist but is very amenable to suggestions- do you think it's ok to use drops in the ear even though we don't know whether the eardrum is intact? I was thinking along the lines of canaural unless you think it's a bad idea.
Funnily enough she is eating well now and doesn't seem distressed except for the fact that she's in the blummin' vets again xx
 
Her left ear is full of gunk! :cry: Have sent a swab off for C&S but I'm keen to start treatment asap. Vet can say for certain whether the eardrum is intact because of all the pus...
I've decided not to do the e. c. titre at the moment as I don't want to increase her stress levels at the moment. I may go ahead when she is feeling a little better.

I don't understand how this has happened so suddenly without me noticing, even though I been watching her like a hawk for the last week. She has shown no sign or ear irritation until yesterday and was completely well in all respects until last week.

Thanks again PL. She certainly loves dried echinacea- where do you get the extract from?

I'm so worried about my precious Porkychicken :( xx

From most supermarkets and holland and barrett or any health food store. Go for one which is high in pure echinacea extract and in ethanol with nothing else added - some have allsorts in them. BioForce or Duchy one is fine.
I put about 10 drops in a bowl of water :) I know Amy104:? (lady in Bristol) on here has used it too and may use a higher dose.... I can't remember so you could always ask her.

I'm sure you are worried sick about her :cry: But try not to worry, like Jane says it may not be as deep as you fear, and you are certainly NOT the worst bunny mummy in the world - very far from it! Poor TPC :cry: Sending her lots and lots of get well soon vibes xx
 
From most supermarkets and holland and barrett or any health food store. Go for one which is high in pure echinacea extract and in ethanol with nothing else added - some have allsorts in them. BioForce or Duchy one is fine.
I put about 10 drops in a bowl of water :) I know Amy104:? (lady in Bristol) on here has used it too and may use a higher dose.... I can't remember so you could always ask her.

I'm sure you are worried sick about her :cry: But try not to worry, like Jane says it may not be as deep as you fear, and you are certainly NOT the worst bunny mummy in the world - very far from it! Poor TPC :cry: Sending her lots and lots of get well soon vibes xx

Thanks hun, I'll make a note of those names xx
 
The vet who she has seen today is not a rabbit specialist but is very amenable to suggestions- do you think it's ok to use drops in the ear even though we don't know whether the eardrum is intact? I was thinking along the lines of canaural unless you think it's a bad idea.

I doubt that canaural would touch this sort of infection. The only drops I've found that helped this sort of deep ear infection is chloramphenicol, but probably not advisble if her eardrum might be perforated.

I've mentioned it previously, but I'm really happy how Dominic's ear infection responded to Zithromax.
 
I doubt that canaural would touch this sort of infection. The only drops I've found that helped this sort of deep ear infection is chloramphenicol, but probably not advisble if her eardrum might be perforated.

I've mentioned it previously, but I'm really happy how Dominic's ear infection responded to Zithromax.

Thanks. We've started her on the metronidazole & baytril for now but I'll talk to the vet about zithromax and chloramphenicol- I hope they are easier to give than yukky baytril!
 
Thanks. We've started her on the metronidazole & baytril for now but I'll talk to the vet about zithromax and chloramphenicol- I hope they are easier to give than yukky baytril!

AFAIK chloramphenicol and zithromax probably shouldn't be given together. I don't think you necessarily need topical drops for an ear infection.
 
AFAIK chloramphenicol and zithromax probably shouldn't be given together. I don't think you necessarily need topical drops for an ear infection.

Oh ok, well she's not on any drops at the moment. I might see how she goes on the current regime until the C&S results are back. I'll have a look for Dominic's thread though :)
Thanks for you thoughts xx
 
No advice what-so-ever I am afraid, I certainly feel ignorant after all that:oops: I'm glad she recovered from the mixo jab, but then what a blow for you:cry:

But tone and tones of vibes for you both:love:
 
Thanks for all the vibes.
On the bright side, Tippy has eaten more today than she has for the last week. Here's a pic of her relaxing after her tea:

IMG_3012.jpg


:love:
 
Pretty bunny :love::love::love:. Sorry she is still poorly but glad she has eaten more tonight. Vibes for a continued recovery.
 
Her left ear is full of gunk! :cry: Have sent a swab off for C&S but I'm keen to start treatment asap. Vet can say for certain whether the eardrum is intact because of all the pus...
I've decided not to do the e. c. titre at the moment as I don't want to increase her stress levels at the moment. I may go ahead when she is feeling a little better.

I don't understand how this has happened so suddenly without me noticing, even though I been watching her like a hawk for the last week. She has shown no sign or ear irritation until yesterday and was completely well in all respects until last week.

Thanks again PL. She certainly loves dried echinacea- where do you get the extract from?

I'm so worried about my precious Porkychicken :( xx

I'm so sorry Miss Porky Chicken has an ear infection now.
Maizey has a lot of experience of using echinacea. I'm sure she'd be more than helpful if you need.

I don't believe you missed anything. It's common enough to carry bacteria in the upper airways.

There have been 2 assaults on her immune system - the myxi vaccine will have stretched it. [Maizey's Bluey's MRSA URTI seemed to be triggered by myxi vaccine]

When buns go into stasis they often have transient a drop in their WBC. It recovers quickly when the stasis has been treated. So the carrier state can become invasive, when they are vulnerable. There is a good chance that she will soon get a good immunity especially with echinacea added.

Please keep us updated
With everything crossed & every good wish.
Judy xxx
 
Back
Top