• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts regarding Bodmin & Syrup

So I thought I would have a go at cleaning the buns and I took his bouncer upstairs and put his veggies on the tv and my bedroom. It worked well but I was running round like madness and sure enough he did start calling for me but it gave me about 40 minutes. Enough to clean them out and chuck down some new fleeces etc the second time I’ve cleaned them out since he’s been born :thumb: the first time was a catastrophe :lol:

I think it's a great idea to get them bonded and of course it will cut down on the work for you :D

My thoughts on alternative accommodation for them. If you use your shed, what will you use for your gardening equipment, which is presumably why you got the shed? I think you would also need to get an attached run, so that they could be outside and be secure some of the time. I think having bunnies free-ranging in the garden, whether accessed from the shed or from the utility room, is something I would only feel safe doing if I was outside with them all the time. I don't think it's enough just to be in the house, especially if you are busy with Ted.

Tbh I think by far the best suggestion is to keep them where they are and involve Ted, sitting him in a bouncer. It would keep him amused, keep him away from touching the bunnies or their litter tray and be an inclusive family thing. I would also give you your time with the bunnies without having to worry about Ted. You could read to Ted or, as Graciee said, play music etc. I think it could work extremely well. You could always re-assess when he's crawling, but tbh with a crawling baby the whole house has potential for danger. You just need to be mindful of the things which are super dangerous.

I think you are also possibly over-estimating the work involved with looking after the bunnies. Rugs surely don't have to be washed daily. If they do, then I wouldn't use them :lol:

Do you know what worries me is the dust and the fluff and that bunny urine smell. I am probably being over the top but whilst he’s so little I don’t know if it’s ok for his lungs? Because it’s three lots in one confined room you know? Maybe I’m wrong but that’s what worries me I don’t want him to get sneezy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to flag up these aren't recommended anymore apparently they can cause hip development issues? Idek! Just thought I should say as the info on what is and isn't okay is constantly changing [emoji38] although apparently kids love those bumbo seats because it allows them to sit up before they can on their own.. But apparently it's not safe. Just thought I'd let you know loobers :)
We started using it when she could sit by herself at approximately 6 months and she absolutely loved it:D More like a way for me to know were I had here as she was quite mobile :lol:

Do you know what worries me is the dust and the fluff and that bunny urine smell. I am probably being over the top but whilst he’s so little I don’t know if it’s ok for his lungs? Because it’s three lots in one confined room you know? Maybe I’m wrong but that’s what worries me I don’t want him to get sneezy

Three lots of what? Litter trays? You could just use the one, once they're bonded. Then Ted could sit furthest away from the litter tray, if you're concerned about any urine smell. Tbh I've only ever noticed a urine smell when cleaning them out.

I also wouldn't be at all concerned about dust and fluff causing him to become sneezy. I am allergic to loads of things, but have never noticed a problem sitting in the rabbit shed. Also, I can understand if you don't feel the same way, but I would prefer a child to be exposed to natural substances at an early age, rather than be brought up in a super sterile environment. But then my daughter used to put handfuls of garden soil in her mouth :lol:

We started using it when she could sit by herself at approximately 6 months and she absolutely loved it:D More like a way for me to know were I had here as she was quite mobile :lol:

I actually have two of these as my mum got me a grey one and a blue one :lol: we actually tried him in it the other day and he isn’t ready to use it yet so as you say I’ll try him again whilst he is six. I can understand the concern of using them under six months though as it stops them sitting up by themselves.

I actually have two of these as my mum got me a grey one and a blue one [emoji38] we actually tried him in it the other day and he isn’t ready to use it yet so as you say I’ll try him again whilst he is six. I can understand the concern of using them under six months though as it stops them sitting up by themselves.

If you Google it, it's using them at all actually, even over 6 months, your call though :) once they're sitting by themselves anyway they get in lots of practice by themselves [emoji38]

Three lots of what? Litter trays? You could just use the one, once they're bonded. Then Ted could sit furthest away from the litter tray, if you're concerned about any urine smell. Tbh I've only ever noticed a urine smell when cleaning them out.

I also wouldn't be at all concerned about dust and fluff causing him to become sneezy. I am allergic to loads of things, but have never noticed a problem sitting in the rabbit shed. Also, I can understand if you don't feel the same way, but I would prefer a child to be exposed to natural substances at an early age, rather than be brought up in a super sterile environment. But then my daughter used to put handfuls of garden soil in her mouth :lol:

Sorry Omi, it’s currently three because I have Marty as well. I personally don’t struggle with it either but I read that four months they struggle with pollen that kind of thing

If you Google it, it's using them at all actually, even over 6 months, your call though :) once they're sitting by themselves anyway they get in lots of practice by themselves [emoji38]

Why’s that then? I’ll have a look. I can’t believe he is going to sit up one day. When he says his first words imma have a breakdown.

Why’s that then? I’ll have a look. I can’t believe he is going to sit up one day. When he says his first words imma have a breakdown.

I cant remember the exact phrasing, but I think it puts them in an unnatural position which can cause developmental issues? And they are trapped in that position and can't get out of it like normal which isn't good.

When Evelyn learned to sit she still spent most of her time rolling about straightened out, time spent in that position wasn't very long for a while, and there was a gradual build up.

Have a look online and you can make a judgement on it :)

Weirdly when Evelyn said mama for the first time I wasnt that shocked, coz she'd been babbling like a mad thing for ages [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I cant remember the exact phrasing, but I think it puts them in an unnatural position which can cause developmental issues? And they are trapped in that position and can't get out of it like normal which isn't good.

When Evelyn learned to sit she still spent most of her time rolling about straightened out, time spent in that position wasn't very long for a while, and there was a gradual build up.

Have a look online and you can make a judgement on it :)

Weirdly when Evelyn said mama for the first time I wasnt that shocked, coz she'd been babbling like a mad thing for ages [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I never heard of that. Thanks for the heads up :thumb:

I support your efforts to bond your bunnies and to find a way for you and your family to enjoy them more. Bunnies on this site live in many different types of accommodations. Imo it is important that they have enough space to exercise and a safe space.

Allergies are a concern for me, yet I am not allergic to bunnies. Though hay can trigger some sneezing, as can a walk outside. Yeah, ammonia smells from urine can be an irritant, though that can be minimized by distance, ventilation, and perhaps an additional quick cleaning.

Oh that is lovely news that you have someone to bond for you, wishing you all good luck with whatever you do. I must admit that having Rups in the lounge with Thomas is a bit of a nightmare. I have to ensure that they are both supervised to within an inch of their lives. It is amazing where Rups hay gets too - it was in Thomas's nursery bag the other day. (Thomas being 3yrs)

I actually have two of these as my mum got me a grey one and a blue one :lol: we actually tried him in it the other day and he isn’t ready to use it yet so as you say I’ll try him again whilst he is six. I can understand the concern of using them under six months though as it stops them sitting up by themselves.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I wonder why she thought you needed two:lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I wonder why she thought you needed two:lol:

:lol:

The rescue have contacted me again and we are definitely going ahead with the bonding. I’m so happy!

I honestly feel like syrup bonded she couldn’t care where she is but syrup unbonded and in a new environment would be a catastrophe :lol:

I was thinking it would be proper neutral territory having a fresh place. Could you get a shed cool do you reckon?

Just thinking out loud

If you insulate the shed with decent insulation such as kingspan then ply line it it should be good. You can also use mesh instead of glass to give good ventilation. I’m glad it’s working out for you all :love:
Insulating the roof is most important as that's a massive suntrap, especially if the felt/whatever is dark. We put radiator reflective stuff (polystyrene backed foil) on ours, shiny side up, and it's miraculous.

I'm allergic to fluffy stuff in my face (no kisses for me!) but the dust they produce seems to mostly be their poo: it 'dusts' as it disintegrates :lol: I'm not allergic to hay or anything (though I do get what looks like hay rash from plunging my hands into stalky hay but is actually just lots of tiny cuts :lol:). There's a lot of 'worry' created around babies, IMO it's mostly to sell cleaning products.

Sorry I'm late to this thread Loobers. I'm just very slowly catchng up with things after my 'absence'. I'm pleased that I took time to look through your post and I'm so pleased that you persevered with Bodders and whilst you were not able to bond them directly, you allowed Bodders and Syrup to be together in a very positive way. I am sure this will help with the bond that ARC are helping you with. It takes a huge amount of courage and trust for you to hand over your two precious bunnies who have been an intergral part of your family for such a long time so this will be an anxious period. And as I am about to embark on an almost exact same scenario here with Flo so I know very much how you will be feeling.
I hope very much that syrup and Bodders become bonded and I am sending you and Syrup and Bodders all the vibes I can for a successful bond. I'm looking forward to reading the updates. xx

Happy bonding vibes from me too.

My outdoor rabbits are in a shed/aviary set up. Insulated, plywood walls. There is a roof bit like a porch over the door which helps it stay cooler plus Imuse mesh insets for the wondows in the summertime.

I see more of my house rabbits but its easier to keep the hay etc contained with outdoor wabbits. Mind you Frosty and Daisy are real outdoorsy types where as Snowflake is in heaven being inside!

Back