• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with outdoor run

Sallyj78

New Kit
We bought rabbits last year and I laid mesh under the soil in part of the garden and they had an omelet walk in chicken run attached to their run.
Over winter they’ve been in a shed to stay warm with their run on the patio.
Now I want to put them back on the grass but there must have been some bulbs under the mesh and daffodils and bluebells have grown through.
Any ideas on how I can get rid of them so it’s safe for the rabbits?
IMG_0211.jpeg

What a lovely space for them :love: bulbs are toxic to bunnies if eaten & I can't think of anyway you could remove bulbs without physically unearthing them.
I've never had outdoor bunnies but they have always had some outside space, supervised but by no means daily. Those spaces have always included a few Spring bulbs & they've never been touched by my bunnies. Wild bunnies live in areas awash with snowdrops & bluebells ...jury's out about whether our domestic rabbits have lost the capacity to identify what is safe to eat. I'm not so sure they have but its a contentious subject

You will need to dig them up I'm afraid, before putting them back to the same area of lawn if there are bulbs appearing. Bulbs are not rabbit-friendly. Just topping the tops off will probably not kill them and they will continue to grow.

What a lovely space for them :love: bulbs are toxic to bunnies if eaten & I can't think of anyway you could remove bulbs without physically unearthing them.
I've never had outdoor bunnies but they have always had some outside space, supervised but by no means daily. Those spaces have always included a few Spring bulbs & they've never been touched by my bunnies. Wild bunnies live in areas awash with snowdrops & bluebells ...jury's out about whether our domestic rabbits have lost the capacity to identify what is safe to eat. I'm not so sure they have but its a contentious subject
Thanks ☺️ Is it just the bulbs that are toxic? The bulbs are under the mesh in the soil so even though they can dig a bit I don’t think they’d be able to get to the bulbs. I’m worried about the stems. I’ve tried to physically remove them but it just ends up pulling them and leaving a bit of stem behind which they might eat?

I'm afraid, it's the whole plant. and it all will need to be removed. As you've also found, there will be a bit of stem remaining and that stem will grow. Additionally, if you do not remove the bulbs they will come up year after year.

You will need to dig them up I'm afraid, before putting them back to the same area of lawn if there are bulbs appearing. Bulbs are not rabbit-friendly. Just topping the tops off will probably not kill them and they will continue to grow.
Thanks that’s what I was afraid of. 😞 It’s going to be a hard job getting all the mesh up as it’s secured into the ground x

I'm afraid, it's the whole plant. and it all will need to be removed. As you've also found, there will be a bit of stem remaining and that stem will grow. Additionally, if you do not remove the bulbs they will come up year after year.
Thanks for confirming. It’s going to be a big job getting it all sorted 😞

Thanks ☺️ Is it just the bulbs that are toxic? The bulbs are under the mesh in the soil so even though they can dig a bit I don’t think they’d be able to get to the bulbs. I’m worried about the stems. I’ve tried to physically remove them but it just ends up pulling them and leaving a bit of stem behind which they might eat?
its plants that grow from bulbs too sadly, not just the bulb itself

what a pain for you

Back