• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts regarding Bodmin & Syrup

loobers25

Warren Veteran
I recently contacted a rescue localish to us for some help. They gave us a few options, and they even kindly offered to bond them for us.

I have been thinking, if they do bond them that the bunnies could return to live together in my kitchen/utility. Mostly in the utility and then let out via a gate when I’m here. (Which is all the time :lol: :roll:). My thought behind this is that one, it’s neutral territory, two it’s one litter tray to keep on top of, and three I get to spend more time with them and can quickly and easily sort them out leaving Ted unattended. My worry is that it’s not a rabbit proof environment and if the bond doesn’t work out. They have been living side my side and seen so relaxed with each other that I am feeling pretty positive. All the stuff they have would unfortunately have to like the PMH, runaround etc but I think it’s more important they have each other and better care from me. What do you think everybun? I know Ted will really enjoy Bodmin when he is older as he does some amazing zoomies & binkies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a really nice new shed which I use for my gardening stuff which would be easier to bunny proof and neutral however my garden gets extremely hot. If they make a mess in there it’s easier to clean rather then trying to keep that big bedroom from being ruined. It has electric in it but I would have to research about outside bunny set ups and keeping it cool in the summer. They could also keep some of their enrichment there too. Hmmm

Yay - I was hoping somebun would offer to bond Maples & Bodmin. I really hop that works out.

i'm confused about all these alternative bunny housing scenarios though:lol: Can they not go back in their room?

Yay - I was hoping somebun would offer to bond Maples & Bodmin. I really hop that works out.

i'm confused about all these alternative bunny housing scenarios though:lol: Can they not go back in their room?

I don’t get to see them anymore and I miss spending time with them. I can’t leave Ted to go in there so at least if they was to be downstairs they could be running around my feet etc. When he’s having a nap I could empty one litter tray but is not sensible to leave him and disappear upstairs. Joes working all the time now for extra money so was trying to make my life abit easier is all. That was my thought process anyway

I don’t get to see them anymore and I miss spending time with them. I can’t leave Ted to go in there so at least if they was to be downstairs they could be running around my feet etc. When he’s having a nap I could empty one litter tray but is not sensible to leave him and disappear upstairs. Joes working all the time now for extra money so was trying to make my life abit easier is all. That was my thought process anyway

What I used to do was move this cheap bouncer thing into the room and stick Evelyn in it [emoji38][emoji38]

on the floor?

Yep, we call it the poop chair [emoji38] it has a vibration function which uhhh yea! [emoji38] We have a nice swingy chair downstairs, the nuna leaf grow, but this one we bought just for that and using up stairs.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083V...abc_S40P9KGS5RDNCV8SXBZS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is exactly what we have, but we didn't pay that much for it! You might be able to find something similar cheaper, then you can just leave it up stairs, and bring it into bun room and strap him in it and you can get stuff done whilst he's there. Just a thought :) or maybe you have a chair like this already you could use, our nice one is really heavy, can't really carry it up and down the stairs etc

Ahhh, I see. TBH I think bunnies living in the centre of your home can get pretty messy & I can see it creating more work. Are they the kind of bunnies you could bring downstairs for a few hours every evening? Your garden would be lovely for bunnies but with Maple being a bit older she might not like the change ?

Ahhh, I see. TBH I think bunnies living in the centre of your home can get pretty messy & I can see it creating more work. Are they the kind of bunnies you could bring downstairs for a few hours every evening? Your garden would be lovely for bunnies but with Maple being a bit older she might not like the change ?
Definitely agree there, having the buns in the kitchen rn is a nightmare, hay gets tracked everywhere and Evelyn spends her day picking up every piece of hay on the floor, even the tiny bits and handing them to me [emoji849]

The rescue have contacted me again and we are definitely going ahead with the bonding. I’m so happy!

I honestly feel like syrup bonded she couldn’t care where she is but syrup unbonded and in a new environment would be a catastrophe :lol:

I was thinking it would be proper neutral territory having a fresh place. Could you get a shed cool do you reckon?

Just thinking out loud

Definitely agree there, having the buns in the kitchen rn is a nightmare, hay gets tracked everywhere and Evelyn spends her day picking up every piece of hay on the floor, even the tiny bits and handing them to me [emoji849]

I do see your point. I just gave them some lunch and the bunny room absolutely stinks :lol: if it was one tray it would be so much easier but I’ve got two rugs to wash two bowls and Hoover them out it just isn’t enough time whilst he naps. Looking after the buns is the last thing I need to get a handle on. So did you ever clean them out whilst she was in the chair? You think this will get worse when he’s crawling and I can’t control him? :lol:

If you insulate the shed with decent insulation such as kingspan then ply line it it should be good. You can also use mesh instead of glass to give good ventilation. I’m glad it’s working out for you all :love:

Walli is freeroaming and living in our living room, he has access to all our house but is a very cautious bunny so he almost never leave the living room (other then when he goes out in the garden of course :))
I love having it this way but I have had to be very consistent with my daughter that she in not allowed to touch Walli, I think it has gone superwell and she is no so good when she is with him now but my partner has had a hard time, daughter is so more mischievous with him and think it is a fun game when he says no. So basically you need to keep an eye on baby all the time when the bunnies are freeroaming. I wouldn´t want it any other way though :)

We also had a chair she sat in when she was small, worked perfectly when I was doing important things :) We had this one.

https://bumbo.com/product/floor-seat/

I do see your point. I just gave them some lunch and the bunny room absolutely stinks [emoji38] if it was one tray it would be so much easier but I’ve got two rugs to wash two bowls and Hoover them out it just isn’t enough time whilst he naps. Looking after the buns is the last thing I need to get a handle on. So did you ever clean them out whilst she was in the chair? You think this will get worse when he’s crawling and I can’t control him? [emoji38]
Yep! I did a clean out and she'd be in the chair with extra stuff attached to the bar and I'd play music and she'd play and babble and just yea [emoji38] now it's a nightmare because she's active and crawling /walking and wants to get into everything, so buns get done when she goes down for the night but she sleeps through so it works well tbh. We've just adapted the plan as things in her routine have changed. When she was younger and being fussy I used to baby wear her a lot to get stuff done too.

Walli is freeroaming and living in our living room, he has access to all our house but is a very cautious bunny so he almost never leave the living room (other then when he goes out in the garden of course :))
I love having it this way but I have had to be very consistent with my daughter that she in not allowed to touch Walli, I think it has gone superwell and she is no so good when she is with him now but my partner has had a hard time, daughter is so more mischievous with him and think it is a fun game when he says no. So basically you need to keep an eye on baby all the time when the bunnies are freeroaming. I wouldn´t want it any other way though :)

We also had a chair she sat in when she was small, worked perfectly when I was doing important things :) We had this one.

https://bumbo.com/product/floor-seat/

Just to flag up these aren't recommended anymore apparently they can cause hip development issues? Idek! Just thought I should say as the info on what is and isn't okay is constantly changing [emoji38] although apparently kids love those bumbo seats because it allows them to sit up before they can on their own.. But apparently it's not safe. Just thought I'd let you know loobers :)

I’m so pleased you decided to bond them! Hopefully it’ll work out but even if it doesn’t at least you’ll know you gave it your best shot. Which rescue did you go for?

From my experience it doesn’t matter where you have the buns in the house, whether that’s a room or an enclosure or free roam - hay gets everywhere!! We have lots of hay in their litter trays but nowhere else. We find doing that combined with a quick (5 min) daily hoover and it keeps all the mess at bay.

I think it's a great idea to get them bonded and of course it will cut down on the work for you :D

My thoughts on alternative accommodation for them. If you use your shed, what will you use for your gardening equipment, which is presumably why you got the shed? I think you would also need to get an attached run, so that they could be outside and be secure some of the time. I think having bunnies free-ranging in the garden, whether accessed from the shed or from the utility room, is something I would only feel safe doing if I was outside with them all the time. I don't think it's enough just to be in the house, especially if you are busy with Ted.

Tbh I think by far the best suggestion is to keep them where they are and involve Ted, sitting him in a bouncer. It would keep him amused, keep him away from touching the bunnies or their litter tray and be an inclusive family thing. I would also give you your time with the bunnies without having to worry about Ted. You could read to Ted or, as Graciee said, play music etc. I think it could work extremely well. You could always re-assess when he's crawling, but tbh with a crawling baby the whole house has potential for danger. You just need to be mindful of the things which are super dangerous.

I think you are also possibly over-estimating the work involved with looking after the bunnies. Rugs surely don't have to be washed daily. If they do, then I wouldn't use them :lol:

I think it's a great idea to get them bonded and of course it will cut down on the work for you :D

My thoughts on alternative accommodation for them. If you use your shed, what will you use for your gardening equipment, which is presumably why you got the shed? I think you would also need to get an attached run, so that they could be outside and be secure some of the time. I think having bunnies free-ranging in the garden, whether accessed from the shed or from the utility room, is something I would only feel safe doing if I was outside with them all the time. I don't think it's enough just to be in the house, especially if you are busy with Ted.

Tbh I think by far the best suggestion is to keep them where they are and involve Ted, sitting him in a bouncer. It would keep him amused, keep him away from touching the bunnies or their litter tray and be an inclusive family thing. I would also give you your time with the bunnies without having to worry about Ted. You could read to Ted or, as Graciee said, play music etc. I think it could work extremely well. You could always re-assess when he's crawling, but tbh with a crawling baby the whole house has potential for danger. You just need to be mindful of the things which are super dangerous.

I think you are also possibly over-estimating the work involved with looking after the bunnies. Rugs surely don't have to be washed daily. If they do, then I wouldn't use them [emoji38]
Yea I agree, especially about the rugs [emoji38][emoji38]

I used to sing and dance with music on whilst doing the buns, Evelyn thought it was the funniest thing ever [emoji38] or reading, I have like 10 of her fav books memorised so that's easy too.. Or just talking to her and telling her what I was doing. Can't do that anymore though [emoji38] sometimes she's there when I give hay, but litter trays are not possible now because she wants to involve and hand in everything [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I’m so pleased you decided to bond them! Hopefully it’ll work out but even if it doesn’t at least you’ll know you gave it your best shot. Which rescue did you go for?

From my experience it doesn’t matter where you have the buns in the house, whether that’s a room or an enclosure or free roam - hay gets everywhere!! We have lots of hay in their litter trays but nowhere else. We find doing that combined with a quick (5 min) daily hoover and it keeps all the mess at bay.

ARC are helping me :love: they have been so kind to me I am really greatful. Our local rescues bonding methods are a little bit…you know :lol:

I am always hoovering as the doggo but when I had Dennis’s haycarpet it got everywhere :lol:

Yea I agree, especially about the rugs [emoji38][emoji38]

I used to sing and dance with music on whilst doing the buns, Evelyn thought it was the funniest thing ever [emoji38] or reading, I have like 10 of her fav books memorised so that's easy too.. Or just talking to her and telling her what I was doing. Can't do that anymore though [emoji38] sometimes she's there when I give hay, but litter trays are not possible now because she wants to involve and hand in everything [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I wash the rugs once a week when the buns have a deep clean. So they get a daily sweep but the deep clean is hoovering out all the poo that gets in the PMH and rolls in the corners that kind of thing. Marty gets his bottom tray done once too as well as a daily clean. That’s three litter trays and enclosures which is why it will halve the time cleaning them out. I feel like everybun thinks my buns are really clean but why do you think I don’t take pictures anymore :lol: :lol: it’s like a hay bomb has gone off

Back