• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Those of you who inject penicillin...

Ta :wave: I usually use blue for engemycin but I was worried that penicillin might be too gloopy for it. Bit of a relief that it's not - I wasn't relishing using a green needle on ickle Santa :shock:

Thanks Marie, that's what I was afraid of! But Santa only weighs 900g and I'm worried that the green will be too big to use regularly :?

Thanks Marie, that's what I was afraid of! But Santa only weighs 900g and I'm worried that the green will be too big to use regularly :?

Recently I have been able to inject with an Orange as long as I draw up with a green. As I say, I am sure it's less gloopy now-a-days :?

As an afterthought, could it be mixed with the sterile water especially for injections :? That'd def make it possible to use an orange :?

I had real trouble with the injections exploding all over the place when i used the blue syringes as the meds are thick, so i used the green.....they are a bit more difficult to inject with, but at least they dont burst!

TBH I didn't find much difference between the green and the blue :oops: I was using both for depocilin, whichever one i picked up really

Depends on the type of pencillin...sometimes blue, sometimes green.

My vet usually uses green like Marie, but I think I'm a bit more heavy-handed than most vets so feel a bit less mean using a blue

I tend to use a ble, as long as the animal is settled enough to allow me time to inject slowly. If it is a feisty or nervy one, I use a green because you can get it in quicker- I've also had a few explosions.:D

I go blue with green to draw up. Even with a big calm bunny I think green's a bit wide bore but I'm very much doing antibiotics long term (and twice a day at the mo so want to minimise the trauma).

Thanks all :) After a disastrous first couple of attempts I went back to the surgery and had a little practice session (using s/c fluids) with the nurse. She showed me a slightly different technique to the one I'd been shown before and I'm finding it much easier now. Santa does flinch a bit when I inject the penicillin though - is this normal, I have vague recollections that it is supposed to sting a bit?

Ta :)

Thanks all :) After a disastrous first couple of attempts I went back to the surgery and had a little practice session (using s/c fluids) with the nurse. She showed me a slightly different technique to the one I'd been shown before and I'm finding it much easier now. Santa does flinch a bit when I inject the penicillin though - is this normal, I have vague recollections that it is supposed to sting a bit?

Ta :)

Are you using it straight from the fridge ?

Ta - it's not the needle going in that she's flinching at, it's when I start to push the plunger that she flinches. She didn't do it with engemycin which is why I'm wondering if it's the contents rather than the needle itself that is causing it :?

Ta - it's not the needle going in that she's flinching at, it's when I start to push the plunger that she flinches. She didn't do it with engemycin which is why I'm wondering if it's the contents rather than the needle itself that is causing it :?

Could be that you've reached the muscle? I think it stings a lot more if you inject into muscle

I don't *think* so. I left it out for a little longer today and she didn't flinch at all when I injected it so hopefully it'll keep getting better as I get more used to doing it :)

Back