• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

so rabbits don't NEED pellets...

no, it has cartoon rabbits on and it says rabbit feeding bowl, The bowl isn't totally full but it's more than my single rabbits

I would try cutting down the pellets to the recommended amount (50g per day per rabbit/guinea) for a week and see how you get on. I would also give them plenty of hay tho'

in my other thread i said they are gonna get a bale of hay in each shed :lol:
would half a cup of pellets be ok every two days? I heard some people only feed pellets every two days?

Beth

I would not place a bale of hay in each shed, they will wee and poo on it and make it unusable before they have eaten most of it, you are better giving them lots often.

Like with anything to do with eating, humans or small furrys they need consistency feeding a bowl alternative days is not a good idea, 1/4 of a bowl each day is fine. Please also dont do this suddenly, as you are aware any dietary changes need to happen over a period of time.

I know-
also my rabbits don't pee anywhere except in their litter tray or run :) I have no where to store bales except the bunny sheds. and the biggest bags of hay i can find only last a week bewtween the animals

Sorry missed that, I meant to give them extra hay to compensate for the reduction in pellets.

I've not heard about feeding pellets every other day. As I said previously ours get a small handful 2x per day plus hay ad lib.

Whatever you decide to do I would take it slowly, it took us a good few weeks to wean ours off pellets ad lib for 6 months to now when they are just over 1 year old.

they get veg twice a week as anymore than that gives them runny tummies

Ah, that's a shame. I give mine veg once every two days and on the veg days I am able to reduce the amount of pellets I give them as they are not as interested in them.

I know-
also my rabbits don't pee anywhere except in their litter tray or run :) I have no where to store bales except the bunny sheds. and the biggest bags of hay i can find only last a week bewtween the animals

Mine are perfectly litter trained, but they still wee & poo on hay if they have tons on the floor (rather than hayracks etc) :? Also I wouldnt think its hygenic at all anyway, they'll be standing on it and everything...I take all Rhias left over hay out twice a day & replace it with fresh stuff X

Sound like a lot of money :shock:

I spend £12 every 2 months on pellets and I have 4 bunnies.
Each pair gets a handful between them in the morning then a handful for each bunny in the afternoon (this is being gradually cut down until they will only have same as the morning) then some veg each evening and fresh hay twice a day or more if needed.

Would you weigh out the amount of pellets you give the bunnies to give us a better idea?

What food are you giving the rabbits? Consider swopping to allen and page, it's much cheaper than excel and SS.

You can find a supplier here:
http://www.allenandpage.com/index.htm

How many pigs do you have now? And when is Blitzen going back to his owner?

As far as I'm aware guinea pigs definetly do need pellets.

Last edited:
Beth,

I've read through the thread. Would you be able to say how much you spend on Rabbit pellets and how much on Guinea Pig pellets separately! Then someone may be able to advise of how and if you can cut down of each rather than altogether, as they are two different animals so the suggestions may be different for each!

I feed Barley 4 small spoons a day, I don't know exactly how long it takes me to go through a bag but I would guess that it's certainly not more than a £1/week so even with 4 I wouldn't have thought that to be more than £4/week.

I would adivse to have a fairly consisten diet. So feed veg and pellets (and of course hay all the time) each day. If they are prone to icky tummies then just feed a small amount each day!

Hannah

I dont think decent rabbit food is that expensive (unless you're absolutely skint of course!). I definitely think you can cut down on pellets for the rabbits.

I keep quoting from autumn 07 Rabbiting On which said one tablespoon of pellets max per day for rabbits under 3.5kg and two max for rabbits over 3.5kg. When I weighed out a tablespoon's worth of Science Selective and it was about 15g. Quite a bit less than 50g!!!

(NB the recommendation was assuming that the rabbits received plenty of eating hay and some veg too.)

Back