• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues Please Can You Help? 61 Rabbits.

Hi,

I have just visited a home where they have 61 rabbits who need to be rescued. The rabbits are mostly young, the majority under one year old. They are mostly 'small medium' in size, mostly mixed breed.

They look healthy (from a cursory check), they are not being cruelly treated, however it is a situation that has been ongoing for years.

The family are now in serious financial problems, they are being made bankrupt, and they will have to move. This is the second time this has happened in the last few years.

One of their daughters is being taken into care, everything is such a mess.

The owner got into trying to help rabbits approx 6 years ago, with all best intentions. It got seriously out of hand and despite help from the RSPCA at Medway, I was never able to sort it out properly as they would not release them all. They would say all the remaining ones were neutered, but they were not.

I decided not to continue trying to help, as fast as we took the litters more were being born, and in some of the cases the rabbits were suffering badly.

I cannot even begin to tell you how many rabbits have passed through there.

Medway and others have tried to get the RSPCA to do something, but the Inspector at that time did not even bother to visit.

Finally we have the chance to stop it. The owners are having to move to rented accommodation, they are not able to take the rabbits. The owners new husband has offered to help with transport, as I say, they are not cruel, I just fear they cannot see what has been going on. Too many others have dumped unwanted pets on them.

My other concern is that they will let them go to anyone, please help me get them out soon. I am desperate they go to reputable rescues who will ensure they are vaccinated, neutered and passed on to loving homes.

As I said, we have just visited. There is one who keeps falling over, I am worried he has a back injury. I offered to take him now, but they said not yet.

The rabbits are all friendly, the young daughter spends time cuddling them.

I need to have offers of spaces, I can get them here over the weekend. I currently have 65 rabbits, I know I am not going to be able to manage these as well.

There is no donation to come with them, and I understand we are all stretched financially as it is, but please help. I want to tell them all of the rabbits, and their hutches, are coming out this weekend. Every water bottle, every bowl, every rabbit. I would take the eldest daughter as well if I could, she just seems to be holding everything together. The hutches are falling apart, and are not much good to pass on.

Alice

Oh gosh...If i can help let me know.

I could offer temp homes to a few, but would need hutches....

:(

If people in my area can foster, i have 3 hutches and around 20 indoor cages that i can loan out. I could only at the moment take in 2, or 1 single and pair. If some of the buns that are reserved go to their homes within the next week or two i can take more.

We have space for a couple here permanently if any meet our sanctuary criteria. They have to be elderly or have a disability or special need, let me know if we can help .

That is so sweet of you but you I don't have any sort of transport that could collect hutches :(

Thank you so much though. x

Thats okay, if you find a way, you are more than welcome :)
I only have 1 hutch and 1 crate free, and dont want to overload myself as ill end up being as bad as the owners!!

I could foster a max of 2 (pref 1 but could do 2 if it's desperate) for Starlights but I'm away this weekend so we'd have to work out the logistics of getting them here. I'm happy to take a preggers doe if there are any too late to spay, and would obviously help out with the cost of neutering any resulting litter!

I could foster a max of 2 (pref 1 but could do 2 if it's desperate) for Starlights but I'm away this weekend so we'd have to work out the logistics of getting them here. I'm happy to take a preggers doe if there are any too late to spay, and would obviously help out with the cost of neutering any resulting litter!

If you could, i could keep them here until you could pick them up :) , i just can not have more than a particular number here for the forseeable future if that makes sense. Alison do you need any hutches/cages?
I have one crate free, and one outdoors hutch, i could put another cage in my room at a complete squeeze.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Will sift through later!

They are in Gloucestershire, a place called Blakeney.

There are a few with problems. One is (they think) blind and deaf. There are a couple with their noses bitten off at some time, they have healed, I do not think there is anything specifically 'special needs' about them.

Rory is the one I am worried about, I am just so worried he is in pain. I have spoken to them since and they are happy for him to come here tomorrow.

There is one with dental problems, he is bonded with another. His name is Wolfy, he is neutered, his parner Emily is not.

Dimple is the blind/deaf one, her partner Pidge is neutered.

I saw a few with eye problems which could well be dental related.

There is a mother with 7 x 5 week old babies.

A few groups of 3 or 5.

Currently my husband is looking to get the groups here first, their conditions are very wet and dirty from mud. The singles are more comfortable in hutches covered by tarpaulin.

I think there are 20 single boys (healthy/young), only a few girls single, mostly in groups. A few were spatting half heartedly while I was there, they are young so hopefully the full might of hormones has not kicked in.

The oldest one is less than two years.

alice

:wave:

Kris I should be able to use my new 5ft double :p I haven't unpacked it yet though so no idea if it's actually all present and correct! But the 6ft is still assembled so there is somewhere available in any case :)

Kris it's better for 30 rescues to be able to take 2 each than for 2 rescues to struggle with 30 each, you're absolutely right to stick to your numbers, sadly as much as we would like to help them all, unfortunately it just isn't possible so you're definitely doing the right thing :D

I should be able to collect from yours early next week if you can house temporarily over the weekend :) If there are bonded pairs already I can house a pair or a mum with babies...whatever is needed. Mum with babies would be fine by me if needed as I can separate them by gender into the other 5ft hutch when they get to that age.

:wave:

Kris I should be able to use my new 5ft double :p I haven't unpacked it yet though so no idea if it's actually all present and correct! But the 6ft is still assembled so there is somewhere available in any case :)

Kris it's better for 30 rescues to be able to take 2 each than for 2 rescues to struggle with 30 each, you're absolutely right to stick to your numbers, sadly as much as we would like to help them all, unfortunately it just isn't possible so you're definitely doing the right thing :D

I should be able to collect from yours early next week if you can house temporarily over the weekend :) If there are bonded pairs already I can house a pair or a mum with babies...whatever is needed. Mum with babies would be fine by me if needed as I can separate them by gender into the other 5ft hutch when they get to that age.

That would be great Thanks :D
Im off for the night now but will check back first thing for info.

Back