• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really Concerned: Leg Problem

Maybe they mean no accepted evidence for Metacam working in 'these' circumstances....reducing brain swelling or improving neurological function? There may not be any pain if it was a stroke, so they might be using it purely for anti-inflammatory purposes??

It certainly works for all other sources of pain!!

He said there was anecdotal evidence of it working. Well he actually said that some rabbit owners have success with it (so anecdotal evidence), but there was no scientifically based research (which would be published in vet journals and the like) that metacam works. He believes this could change soon, but for now they are still happy to prescribe it.

I wonder did they consider a shot of steroids?
Steroid use is very controversial in rabbits as it can lead to other health problems, but can sometimes produce good results

I agree steroids could be useful if it was swelling related. If it's vascular from an infarct such as a stroke I can't imagine it would help much. Problem is if you don't know which it is, giving steroids might be too much? I wonder if a small dose to see if it improved anything might be worth it though? Wonder what your vet would think?! Good point tho:)

I wonder did they consider a shot of steroids?
Steroid use is very controversial in rabbits as it can lead to other health problems, but can sometimes produce good results

That's interesting. I will discuss with him when I chat to him on Friday. Thanks, Lilbun.

Hi, iv read most of the posts but only skim the last few, so sorry if iv missed some bits, but just to offer you a chance of hope...

My 7 year old bun (not a giant, a lop but not sure what breed, shes 3kg) had paralysis of her front paw. I know this is not exactly the same as what your buns got, BUT after almost 4 weeks on metacam then reducing off for about a week and a half, she gained feeling back.

Like your bun, there was no apparent cause, x-rays were the first thing to be done etc, the vet did the deep nerve test and no feeling. She couldnt walk on it she just held it up. After a few days on metacam, she started to drag her paw whichever way it fell, then by just after a week started walking with it the right way, and by 3 weeks was hoping around crazily. She had the deep nerve test and all is back to normal, BUT the very bottom of the paw, under the bend, isnt 100% right, her toes are spayed out and she cant clean herself, but she doesnt let that stop her. This was a few months ago now, and since has had a check up and she hasnt got worse.

My vet put her on a dose of "6 drops", 2* her weight in drops, so for yours it woul be 13 drops. Its the dog branded metacam. She said the dropped that comes with it isnt very accurate, and just to squeeze the bottle gently when perfetly vertical upside down, and a full drop will fall off. I did this into a bowl and then used a syringe to suck it up. It wasnt very much, nowehere near even half a ml, tiny amounts, but it seemed to do the trick.

My vet initially thought she had trapped her nerve, but it didnt show up on the x-ray, but after the metacam she was convinced, she said nerve damage can take ages to recover, and in some cases never recover, so with the way my bun recovered ut not fully, she thinks it could be that. Not sure if that helps you in anyway, but dont give up yet!

How long has your bun been on metacam?

Hi, iv read most of the posts but only skim the last few, so sorry if iv missed some bits, but just to offer you a chance of hope...

My 7 year old bun (not a giant, a lop but not sure what breed, shes 3kg) had paralysis of her front paw. I know this is not exactly the same as what your buns got, BUT after almost 4 weeks on metacam then reducing off for about a week and a half, she gained feeling back.

Like your bun, there was no apparent cause, x-rays were the first thing to be done etc, the vet did the deep nerve test and no feeling. She couldnt walk on it she just held it up. After a few days on metacam, she started to drag her paw whichever way it fell, then by just after a week started walking with it the right way, and by 3 weeks was hoping around crazily. She had the deep nerve test and all is back to normal, BUT the very bottom of the paw, under the bend, isnt 100% right, her toes are spayed out and she cant clean herself, but she doesnt let that stop her. This was a few months ago now, and since has had a check up and she hasnt got worse.

My vet put her on a dose of "6 drops", 2* her weight in drops, so for yours it woul be 13 drops. Its the dog branded metacam. She said the dropped that comes with it isnt very accurate, and just to squeeze the bottle gently when perfetly vertical upside down, and a full drop will fall off. I did this into a bowl and then used a syringe to suck it up. It wasnt very much, nowehere near even half a ml, tiny amounts, but it seemed to do the trick.

My vet initially thought she had trapped her nerve, but it didnt show up on the x-ray, but after the metacam she was convinced, she said nerve damage can take ages to recover, and in some cases never recover, so with the way my bun recovered ut not fully, she thinks it could be that. Not sure if that helps you in anyway, but dont give up yet!

How long has your bun been on metacam?

Hi, thanks for this. I won't give up on my bun til he gives up on himself. :) Your story is great and am so pleased your bun recovered.

Vet said it could very well be superficial nerve damage, but is more convinced it is CNS stuff.

He was on Metacam for a few weeks and then taken off for a week to see if it helped settle his tum and also to see how much difference it was actually making to him. Over the last week he has, on two separate days, hopped round normally and shown some improvement, but soon after starts dragging himself around on his front paws again (although he's getting good at this). None of his other functions have been compromised.

We have now been told to start the metacam again, but put him on a higher dose and see how that helps.

I will keep my fingers crossed that with time he might heal, but will also be wary that he may never recover even a tiny amount.

Thank you again.

Back