• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

So is there a different type of nettle? I used to order one from the hay experts

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm not up on nettles tbh. I know dead nettles are ok. Mine didn't really like them. I wonder if stinging nettles don't sting once dried ? (calling ogafal) Father in law foraged his garden (at my request) for bunnies tea & insisted the nettle he got them would no longer be stingy as it had flowered. Joey & Boo didn't give it a second sniff but Mousey bless her kept trying but obviously found it stingy (though nice smelling :?).

I'm not up on nettles tbh. I know dead nettles are ok. Mine didn't really like them. I wonder if stinging nettles don't sting once dried ? (calling ogafal) Father in law foraged his garden (at my request) for bunnies tea & insisted the nettle he got them would no longer be stingy as it had flowered. Joey & Boo didn't give it a second sniff but Mousey bless her kept trying but obviously found it stingy (though nice smelling :?).
Hmmmm. There its lots of stinging nettles, hogweeds, brambles and plantain around at the moment here. Lots of yarrow too. I would like to grow some bind weed up my bunny picket fence

Apparently stinging nettles don’t sting goats mouths :lol: the patches of nettles are reduced to stalks :shock::lol: I don’t know how they affect bunnies but I don’t fancy harvesting them, and the ones growing in the run when I had outdoor rabbits always got left!

I've only once picked Stinging Nettles (for the Rexes) and the overwhelming result is a big no. I haven't tried since and don't intend to. I could well imagine that once dried they might be less ouchy, but not sure. The only ones that might be tasty I reckon are the very young bits in the Spring, but then there's so much else to choose from.

Red Deadnettle is of course a different kettle of fish entirely :) All of my rabbits, past and present, have always loved this. I have in fact just picked a huge amount from the garden for Tethra and Tui. It's self-seeded all over the veggie patch and so I've pulled up whole plants and just chopped the roots off. It's also very easy to identify as it's in flower now (red flowers).

I've only once picked Stinging Nettles (for the Rexes) and the overwhelming result is a big no. I haven't tried since and don't intend to. I could well imagine that once dried they might be less ouchy, but not sure. The only ones that might be tasty I reckon are the very young bits in the Spring, but then there's so much else to choose from.

Red Deadnettle is of course a different kettle of fish entirely :) All of my rabbits, past and present, have always loved this. I have in fact just picked a huge amount from the garden for Tethra and Tui. It's self-seeded all over the veggie patch and so I've pulled up whole plants and just chopped the roots off. It's also very easy to identify as it's in flower now (red flowers).
It might be dead nettle then prehaps. It dried black in colour what ever nettle it is.

I'm so gutted I came late to the party this year on the forage scene. I can't wait for next year!

Lopsy's opinion of stinging nettle was 'a bit too spicy*' :lol: Poor Lopsy! They were quite well-liked when dried though, less spicy. White dead nettles are very common here and a firm favourite (also dried), and hogweed is great for drying IMO.

*We use 'spicy' for 'accidentally eating stingy things' like wasps etc. because it's kinda the same thing right? XD

Lopsy's opinion of stinging nettle was 'a bit too spicy*' [emoji38] Poor Lopsy! They were quite well-liked when dried though, less spicy. White dead nettles are very common here and a firm favourite (also dried), and hogweed is great for drying IMO.

*We use 'spicy' for 'accidentally eating stingy things' like wasps etc. because it's kinda the same thing right? XD
This is me the one who cuts hawthorn spikes off and inspects every single leaf. I would be very scared feeding nettles.

Do you find identifying hogweed easy?

I'm tempted to get some this weekend although my dad will ground me for a week if he finds out!

This is me the one who cuts hawthorn spikes off and inspects every single leaf. I would be very scared feeding nettles.

Do you find identifying hogweed easy?

I'm tempted to get some this weekend although my dad will ground me for a week if he finds out!

Go for it, you can always cover it with a sploof

We just went to farm shop nr Skipton & had to stop for more sloes. My skin has been looking tired & rubbish for ages but over the last week its glowing. I've decided this is down to my sloe cordial

Yes, I agree there are loads of plants to forage. However, FHB is not recommending as suitable rabbit food all of those on the link. If you click on some of the items, she is suggesting they should not be picked.
These ones?
9ea537ed54672eb4c362f4489bdbc7ee.jpg

These ones?
9ea537ed54672eb4c362f4489bdbc7ee.jpg

I went through the thumbnail pics and clicked on any that I hadn't fed to the rabbits. In particular these were Self-heal (which we have a lot of in the garden) and Scented Mayweed (have a small amount of).

I went through the thumbnail pics and clicked on any that I hadn't fed to the rabbits. In particular these were Self-heal (which we have a lot of in the garden) and Scented Mayweed (have a small amount of).
I see, have you ever fed field maple?

I see, have you ever fed field maple?

Yes, we have a small amount growing in the back perimeter hedge. The rabbits eat it, but it's certainly not their favourite. It's fairly easy to ID as the leaves are a distinctive shape and the young stems are pinkish.

Yes, we have a small amount growing in the back perimeter hedge. The rabbits eat it, but it's certainly not their favourite. It's fairly easy to ID as the leaves are a distinctive shape and the young stems are pinkish.
What have you found to be the nomiest?

What have you found to be the nomiest?

It's different at different times of the year. I would say that Willow always goes down well and is probably their favourite overall. Apple is also very popular, as is Hawthorn, especially with new growth in the Spring and Hazel is also liked.

It's different at different times of the year. I would say that Willow always goes down well and is probably their favourite overall. Apple is also very popular, as is Hawthorn, especially with new growth in the Spring and Hazel is also liked.
Hehe all the things I know yessss

Back