• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Julie's arthris

Thanks. I have read on RU about the Glucosamine and did ask my vet. She suggested a cat one but they were meat flavored. I even talked to someone from RU about what she uses but I couldn't seem to get that cat one in the US. .... I am concerned about the high dose of metacam....
If you are in USA you can buy Myristol Pellets in smaller quantities.
Myristol is great for rabbits showing decreased mobility because of joint paint and arthritis. Specifically formulated for animals, Myristol contains four major active ingredients that have individually shown benefit in supporting joint health.
Give a three-finger pinch of Myristol twice daily. Bag contains 2 ounces of pellets.
http://www.myristol.com/articles.asp?ID=144

A couple of years ago I was wringing my hands because I couldn't find anything suitable in UK!
At the time I copied this:
Cetyl-M
"No one really knows the dose for a bunny. But we usually administer about 1/2 tsp. per day, rolling a thin banana slice in the granules so it's coated. (naughty treat!) You also can sprinkle the granules on other food (pellets). Bunnies seem to love the taste, so getting them to eat it usually isn't a problem."
Expert: Dana Krempels, Ph.D. - 6/21/2010 http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/2010/6/Spondlyosis-sp-1.htm

"Cetyl-M doesn't really have a specific dose. The people I know who use it just sprinkle about a teaspoon on the bunny's pellets and that seems to do the trick. I haven't actually tried mine yet!"
Expert: Dana Krempels, Ph.D. - 7/16/2009 http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/2009/7/Metacam-long-term-use.htm

Just found the thread that really helped me when I was starting out - I bet you've already read it.

Joint Aid for Cats did the trick; but I really wanted a joint aid formulated for horses because their digestive tracts are very similar.
"And, like rabbits, I bet horses don't like being picked up! lol!"

I had very good results with Easeflex Equine ("This pelleted format including alfalfa, an equine favourite, has been used in the USA for some time" - perhaps under another name?) but now I am using Joint Aid Plus for Horses. (Cheaper and still very good.)

I have just bought Advanced Cetyl M® Joint Action Formula for Horses (more info)
Label states: Administer during or after the animal has eaten to minimize the risk of gastrointestinal upset.
Mmm - will have a think first - might dry-bake into cookies.

Usually a loading dose is recommended for the initial period; but we have to do the opposite with a bunny - like everything we start small and introduce it gradually.

I think this list might show all equine joint supplements available in US: http://www.valleyvet.com/catalog_products/equine_supplies/horse_supplements/joint.html#Powdered/Pellet

Comparison chart: http://www.smartpakequine.com/charts/JointCompare.aspx

We've been very lucky (so far!) and haven't had to resort to anything other than the supplements - I was thrilled with how well they worked.

With everything you're trying, you'll surely find something that works just as well for you.

If you are in USA you can buy Myristol Pellets in smaller quantities.

http://www.myristol.com/articles.asp?ID=144

A couple of years ago I was wringing my hands because I couldn't find anything suitable in UK!
At the time I copied this:

Just found the thread that really helped me when I was starting out - I bet you've already read it.

Joint Aid for Cats did the trick; but I really wanted a joint aid formulated for horses because their digestive tracts are very similar.
"And, like rabbits, I bet horses don't like being picked up! lol!"

I had very good results with Easeflex Equine ("This pelleted format including alfalfa, an equine favourite, has been used in the USA for some time" - perhaps under another name?) but now I am using Joint Aid Plus for Horses. (Cheaper and still very good.)

I have just bought Advanced Cetyl M® Joint Action Formula for Horses (more info)
Label states: Administer during or after the animal has eaten to minimize the risk of gastrointestinal upset.
Mmm - will have a think first - might dry-bake into cookies.

Usually a loading dose is recommended for the initial period; but we have to do the opposite with a bunny - like everything we start small and introduce it gradually.

I think this list might show all equine joint supplements available in US: http://www.valleyvet.com/catalog_products/equine_supplies/horse_supplements/joint.html#Powdered/Pellet

Comparison chart: http://www.smartpakequine.com/charts/JointCompare.aspx

We've been very lucky (so far!) and haven't had to resort to anything other than the supplements - I was thrilled with how well they worked.

With everything you're trying, you'll surely find something that works just as well for you.

Thankyou very much for all that information. I actually read through all your links. That is a lot for me to digest.:lol: I will have to go back to some of them.
I really appreciate you taking all the time to write that all out for me. I will ask Julie's vet about the Myristol pellets. My only concern that I have with those is that they are an alfalfa-based pellet. Julie has a big problem with calcium crystals. I can't feed her spinach, kale or anything with high calcium. Alfalfa has high calcium so I will have the vet look at it to say if it will be suitable for Julie. It sounds good. Lots of rabbit people seem to swear by it. My only concern is the calcium in it.
My vet did mention Adequan. She said that the local rabbit rescue has 3 rabbits on it with good results. The only thing about that is she said that Adequan has to be given as an injection to rabbit to be effective. I don't think that Julie or I could tolerate the injections.
It sounds like you are getting some very good results. I would love to one day cut back the metacam or do away with it too.

I fell on the way to bed last night. I am not sure what exactly happened. I turned the lights off and was walking to the bedroom in the dark. The next thing I know my feet fly out from under me and I go flying. I had a glass of water in my hand which slammed down to the floor with the edge of my pinky finger under it. I have a blood blister and it is black and blue and a huge bruise on my thigh where I hit the rebounder. I was lying sprawled out on the floor in a puddle of water. The water went every where as the glass was full. Both my feet hurt, my left leg and even my hips,shoulders and upper body hurt. I guess my upper body hurts from being jawed. I am slow moving all day as a result
I was really late getting to Julie this morning. Hubby said she refused her breakfast and was waiting for me for her medicines. She ate in the place that I get the meds ready and wouldn't budge.
She was pacing around infront of the gate when I came into the kitchen. She hopped around the island and was all crazy when I got in there. She was carrying one strand of cilantro in her mouth but the rest was all untouched. She dropped it to take the meds. She ate her greens after her meds.
She sure is addicted to meds. The glucosamine was delivered this afternoon. I tasted it before giving it to Julie. It is a blueberry flavored liquid but it did not taste like blueberries at all. It was bitter and gross. I put it in the syringe thinking no way will she take it. She came in a flash and gobbled it up.

Oh goodness you must be so sore :shock: :cry:

Arnica might help with the bruising.

Sounds as though Julie is well established in her routine with her meds :love: I am glad she approves of the Glucosomine, Bunnies can be so fickle, liking what we dont think they will and not liking what they should !!

Oh goodness you must be so sore :shock: :cry:

Arnica might help with the bruising.

Sounds as though Julie is well established in her routine with her meds :love: I am glad she approves of the Glucosomine, Bunnies can be so fickle, liking what we dont think they will and not liking what they should !!

You are right. Julie is into the med routine. I think that she saw the syringe yesterday and thought the glucosamine was the metacam. Today she did not try and swallow the syringe. She tasted it and moved her head back so it started to dribble out of her mouth. iI moved it closer to her mouth and she slowly lapped it up. She tried to eat the syringe with the metacam in it. Tomorrow I will give the metacam first to try and trick her.:lol:
I should have picked some Arnica up. I have a nasty bruise. Is it too late?

You are right. Julie is into the med routine. I think that she saw the syringe yesterday and thought the glucosamine was the metacam. Today she did not try and swallow the syringe. She tasted it and moved her head back so it started to dribble out of her mouth. iI moved it closer to her mouth and she slowly lapped it up. She tried to eat the syringe with the metacam in it. Tomorrow I will give the metacam first to try and trick her.:lol:
I should have picked some Arnica up. I have a nasty bruise. Is it too late?

No, I would still give it a try :)

I hope Julie continues to take her Glucosomine even if it does not taste as nice as her beloved Metacam !

Ouch!! Hope you feel better soon.

Glad Julie is doing well on her meds and likes the glucosamine. Muesli also likes his and Starbuck occasionally comes up and licks the outside of the syringe while he has it....but then won't take his own meds of course! :roll::lol: Very brave of you to taste it, sniffing mine is bad enough! :lol:

No, I would still give it a try :)

I hope Julie continues to take her Glucosomine even if it does not taste as nice as her beloved Metacam !

Today she back away right away from the glucosamine. I had to gently put my hand on the back of her head. I might have to start mixing it with the jelly,flax seed and turmeric. She loves that stuff. Her face and even her nose was all yellow this morning. I tried to take a pic but it wasn't showing up. She kept getting to close to me. She cleans her self up but has a slightly yellow twinge to her. ha ha

Glad Julie is doing well on her meds and likes the glucosamine. Muesli also likes his and Starbuck occasionally comes up and licks the outside of the syringe while he has it....but then won't take his own meds of course! Very brave of you to taste it, sniffing mine is bad enough!

Thanks Helalush. Julie's glucosamine is the human one though. I certainly would not try a cat one.:lol: This one is supose to be blueberry but doesn't smell or taste like it. On second thought the cat one might taste better.:lol: You should try it. It might be yummy.:lol:

Last edited:
Today she back away right away from the glucosamine. I had to gently put my hand on the back of her head. I might have to start mixing it with the jelly,flax seed and turmeric. She loves that stuff. Her face and even her nose was all yellow this morning. I tried to take a pic but it wasn't showing up. She kept getting to close to me. She cleans her self up but has a slightly yellow twinge to her. ha ha

Glad Julie is doing well on her meds and likes the glucosamine. Muesli also likes his and Starbuck occasionally comes up and licks the outside of the syringe while he has it....but then won't take his own meds of course! Very brave of you to taste it, sniffing mine is bad enough!

Thanks Helalush. Julie's glucosamine is the human one though. I certainly would not try a cat one.:lol: This one is supose to be blueberry but doesn't smell or taste like it. On second thought the cat one might taste better.:lol: You should try it. It might be yummy.:lol:

or it might taste like fish paste !! :mrgreen:

It DOES smell like fish paste ;)

Anyway Muesli says I can't have any as its all for him - the little chap must be obeyed! ;)

It DOES smell like fish paste ;)

Anyway Muesli says I can't have any as its all for him - the little chap must be obeyed! ;)

All rabbits must be obeyed.:lol:
Julie has licked up fish juice that OH dropped on the floor from can salmon. I really do think Julie just gobbles anything the first time before she fingers out that it is yucky.:roll:

All rabbits must be obeyed.:lol:
Julie has licked up fish juice that OH dropped on the floor from can salmon. I really do think Julie just gobbles anything the first time before she fingers out that it is yucky.:roll:

:lol::lol::lol:

And for that I would be truly grateful !! :lol:

Sorry bunnytoes, I am hijacking your thread :oops:

That is fine. I agree. Let him have it.:lol:

Just wanted update everyone that is following the results of the alternative meds for Julie's arthritis. ........I was mixing the flax seed and turmeric in the fruit jelly as the vet advised but found a better way. I give her a little oats to keep up her weight anyways so mixed the oats with the turmeric,flax seed and a little water. She seems to like the taste of the flax seed and turmeric. She is getting worse about taking the glucosamine though. She now knows when I have that in the syringe and not the metacam. She runs and hides. I am going to try putting it in the oatmeal tomorrow. I hope that she will still like the oatmeal.

Glad the oats mixture is going down well with Julie! Hope she learns to accept the glucosamine better though, sounds a good idea to try mixing it in.

Glad the oats mixture is going down well with Julie! Hope she learns to accept the glucosamine better though, sounds a good idea to try mixing it in.

I mixed the glucosamine in with the oatmeal this morning and she still loved the oatmeal. The only down side so far with giving her the turmeric is it is staining her yellow. She licks the dish clean. It ends up with no yellow stains at all .....it looks like it went through the dish washer :lol: but her face and feet are stained yellow.

I think that the alternative meds are starting to kick in. Julie has been a lot more active lately. She has been very active since 3am and still going strong. it is 11am. She is pushing her balls around and tossing and chewing on her grass hut toy. She takes a few minutes to rest on a rug then is off again. It is amazing. She loves to hop round and round the kitchen island.:D

Back