• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jemima not eating - she's home now

Happy Hopping said:
Milupa, as in a mix of oats, wheats, etc. mixed w/ water and heated is very healthy food for rabbits as well. MY vet has also recommended that in the past month when my bunny is sick, and it is an alternative to baby food. Gives him something different to eat.

So w/ milupa, I do 3 x 6.5 cc, in conjunction w/ 3 x 6.5 cc on Heniz baby food.

I used to love this as a kid it is baby food ;) !

Happy Hopping said:
Grass is too soft and exotic when a rabbit is sick.

Um I know this forum has had this discussion before but grass is what rabbits are designed to eat - hundreds of thousands of years of evolution aren't completely erradicated in a few hundred years of our messing about.

Grass is actually a bland food in comparison to pellets and for sick buns losing weight it won't contain enough protein etc but it is what they are designed to eat, it is the best source of fibre to prevent stasis, which is often either cause of or caused by not eating. Hence why recovery mixes contain alfalfa and grass based products as a source of fibre.

In most cases I have found sick rabbits or ones refusing to eat after an op will be tempted by freshly picked grass as it is often a favourite.

Grass is not soft it is actually one of the most abrasive food items on a rabbits teeth (more so than hay), which is why all the papers I read about teeth problems when I was researching the article I wrote state that a grass or hay should be the staple of a rabbit's diet.

If it is painful for a rabbit to eat then obviously grass may not be taken and then softer foods such as Recovery or mashed pellets are used then baby foods as a last resort.

Even if a sick rabbit is eating grass obviously I would still advocate finding a way to get more protein into them such as using recovery or a similar product. As proven by my giant Zeus, he needs to put on weight as he lost it on a grass/hay only diet during his illness and by increasing his pellets he is slowly gaining again.

Jay has many years experience running her sanctuary for sick and disabled buns I am sure with her excellent care Jemima will be back on her feet in no time - then Zeus can take her out for dinner ;) (as long as Athena isn't watching).

Caz

Jemima is home from the vets and she did need a dental. The lower molars on her left side had overgrown and caused a small ulcer above one of her upper molars :? Sally did them all and when she checked her right side she could see just a couple of tiny little spurs starting so she nicked 'em off :shock:
John picked Jemima up just after 3pm and although she is a little wobbly - not much but a little - she had a good drink and then ate a little bit of watercress and a carrot top :D :D She then had another good drink, loads of head rubs and is having a snooze.
We know that she will need to get used to her new teeth - once she finds that they actually work properly then hopefully there will be no stopping her with eating :D We really hope so.
The vet nurse adored Jemima - said what a lovely snuggly bun she is and how she loves her nose rubs :oops: John told her that Jemima adores nose and head rubs and the harder the better - that's when he managed to get Jemima off the nurse :shock: :roll:
So, John and I feel better knowing that there was a reason for her not eating - we where terrified that it may be something sinister :? Now we can breathe a bit easier and will just keep everything crossed that Jemima eats properly soon :D
Well, that's Jemima's dental over with - just Oliver and Chockie to go on Friday now :roll: :roll: :roll:

Caz said:
Jay has many years experience running her sanctuary for sick and disabled buns I am sure with her excellent care Jemima will be back on her feet in no time - then Zeus can take her out for dinner ;) (as long as Athena isn't watching).

Caz

:oops: :oops: Thanks Caz :oops: :oops:

Jemima said that she will expect to be treated like royalty and taken to the best places - and can they go to a club afterwards :?: Somewhere like Stringfellows she says so she can have a giggle at all the old rich men with young floozies on their arms :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: She reckons that would give her a good old laugh - she likes a laugh does Jemima :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done little Jem - awwwwwwww I bet your gonna be well spoilt tonight little girl - not like your not all the time of course with mam Jay and dad John.

Great News :D :D

Turns out to be the teeth? I wouldn't never guess at that one.

But it is very nice to hear your bunny is doing better. Congrats.

Back