• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anybody any spare vibes for Artie (now eating again) More poops :)

SQ fluids are helpful but oral fluids are also necessary to insure gut contents are hydrated. The SQs just stop fluid being absorbed from the guts (which occurs rapidly in GI stasis) and supports kidney function.

I hope Artie feels better soon, probably a silly question but he has had his teeth checked hasn't he ?

Brilliant, thank you for all that. I'd rather be safe than sorry as far as fluids are concerned. I've always thought subQ was via a drip as I was told Rudy would be on a drip if he needed it.... or maybe I just thought they said that as I thought that is what they were describing :roll::oops:

alvin did have it by a drip when he was hospitalized that once overnight, but he was really lethargic and close to death i think... i reakon the drip is the same thing but they pump more in over a longer period.

the injection was just 3 syringes full and was over in a few seconds as i watched, he only moved and pulled the needle out tho :roll:

SQ fluids are helpful but oral fluids are also necessary to insure gut contents are hydrated. The SQs just stop fluid being absorbed from the guts (which occurs rapidly in GI stasis) and supports kidney function.

I hope Artie feels better soon, probably a silly question but he has had his teeth checked hasn't he ?

Thanks. I'm getting quite a bit of grass and dandelions into him now, would that count as oral hydration or should I still try to syringe him water/herbal tea.... I will try again but don't know how seriously to push it if I'm stressing him.

He didn't have his teeth checked properly today, just a quick look at his incisors :? He had an MOT with Frances 5 weeks ago and she said his teeth were really good - what everybody keeps telling me, though when he has these phases he avoids hard food most, which is probably normal for non-dental stasis anyway.... I'm guessing :?. I'm constantly being told it isn't his teeth but I'll get Carla to have a proper look tomorrow if he isn't doing massively better, I didn't push it today because of his check only 5 weeks ago.

Thanks. I'm getting quite a bit of grass and dandelions into him now, would that count as oral hydration or should I still try to syringe him water/herbal tea.... I will try again but don't know how seriously to push it if I'm stressing him.

He didn't have his teeth checked properly today, just a quick look at his incisors :? He had an MOT with Frances 5 weeks ago and she said his teeth were really good - what everybody keeps telling me, though when he has these phases he avoids hard food most, which is probably normal for non-dental stasis anyway.... I'm guessing :?. I'm constantly being told it isn't his teeth but I'll get Carla to have a proper look tomorrow if he isn't doing massively better, I didn't push it today because of his check only 5 weeks ago.

if hes eating and your wetting it first i reakon thats probably enough... just think about normal times, buns dont rush for water when theyve had a huge bowl of veg :D

Well, it's been a very long night. I wasn't having much success with him eating in the early part of the night, so tried every hour, he took a very small amount each time. He point blank refused the syringing of fluids:? Fortunately at about 4.00 am after he'd refused the water/tea (and was quite worried) I managed to get him to eat loads of grass and dandelions. I've tried him again a few times since about 6 but he keeps tossing food aside. He looks quite bright/not in pain etc. He won't eat fibreplex either which he usually likes :?

There's no poo yet though, I don't know if this is fairly normal at this stage, I would have hoped for a few by now. He has had at least two tiny wees, didn't seem to be straining for them.

I'm guessing an xray would be a good idea at this stage.

Well, it's been a very long night. I wasn't having much success with him eating in the early part of the night, so tried every hour, he took a very small amount each time. He point blank refused the syringing of fluids:? Fortunately at about 4.00 am after he'd refused the water/tea (and was quite worried) I managed to get him to eat loads of grass and dandelions. I've tried him again a few times since about 6 but he keeps tossing food aside. He looks quite bright/not in pain etc. He won't eat fibreplex either which he usually likes :?

There's no poo yet though, I don't know if this is fairly normal at this stage, I would have hoped for a few by now. He has had at least two tiny wees, didn't seem to be straining for them.

I'm guessing an xray would be a good idea at this stage.

aww hun :( really hope you can get his guts moving today xxx

He's eating his spring greens breakfast :D:D I really didn't expect this. Everything he ate last night I had to wave under his nose. He's chomping quite enthusiastically.

We just need poo now,

Seeing the vet in 1/2 an hour.

He's eating his spring greens breakfast :D:D I really didn't expect this. Everything he ate last night I had to wave under his nose. He's chomping quite enthusiastically.

We just need poo now,

Seeing the vet in 1/2 an hour.

Good luck

Personally I'd ask for an oral examination if at all possible. Also a good feel along his mandible for any signs of lumpiness/pain 'hot spots'.

Good luck

Personally I'd ask for an oral examination if at all possible. Also a good feel along his mandible for any signs of lumpiness/pain 'hot spots'.

Thanks, will do. She did feel along his jaw line yesterday, which I think is what you are saying :oops: He does seem to look at food as if he wants it then doesn't but he always does it when on one of these phases and I've consistently been told before my theories about teeth/sore mouth aren't founded.

Vet was pleased with his progress. She did a mouth/jaw examination but there was nothing to see (as expected, but worth checking of cause)

He's had the metaclop, metacam and Buprecare combination again.

He's also had sub-Q fluids which I guess is "vetivex" on the invoice - 56p +VAT, well worth asking for, she said he wasn't dehydrated but agreed it was worth giving him.

I've an appointment for tomorrow "if I need it", and to cancel it if I'm happy he's eating and pooing well.

I'm going try and get some kip now his lordship's had his breakfast and his medicine :love:

Hi, Hope Artie is doing better this afternoon? I expect that the second lot of metclopramide will help push things along. Just from my own experience I find that when they are looking interested in the food but not eating it that this means that yes - they are feeling perkier and you are on the cusp of turning the corner so you have to keep encouraging it, but often it is dehydration and pain that puts them off actually taking the food.
If you keep doing what you were doing - sticking it in front of his face - this can work, we had to literally wave it in front of our girl's face and tickle her mouth with it when she was like this until she got so peed off with us she would snatch it and eat it - find the things he likes and just keep at it. I would personally dip each leaf in a mug of water/herbal tea first as the more fluids you can get in the better. Jane is right, oral hydration is essential to rehydrate the gut contents and help them move along and help him pass some droppings. If you can syringe even just a little fluid this should help.
You're almost there - it can take days sometimes for bunny to pass droppings again after a bad bout of stasis so just hang in there, we were lucky and got them going again in 24 hours but some buns take longer - just keep at it and get some rest yourself in between time! Nursing a sick bun through the night is exhausting. The fact that he is now alert and wanting to eat is a step up from total withdrawl and disinterest in food....so just keep going! Sending lots of vibes :D:wave:

Hi, Hope Artie is doing better this afternoon? I expect that the second lot of metclopramide will help push things along. Just from my own experience I find that when they are looking interested in the food but not eating it that this means that yes - they are feeling perkier and you are on the cusp of turning the corner so you have to keep encouraging it, but often it is dehydration and pain that puts them off actually taking the food.
If you keep doing what you were doing - sticking it in front of his face - this can work, we had to literally wave it in front of our girl's face and tickle her mouth with it when she was like this until she got so peed off with us she would snatch it and eat it - find the things he likes and just keep at it. I would personally dip each leaf in a mug of water/herbal tea first as the more fluids you can get in the better. Jane is right, oral hydration is essential to rehydrate the gut contents and help them move along and help him pass some droppings. If you can syringe even just a little fluid this should help.
You're almost there - it can take days sometimes for bunny to pass droppings again after a bad bout of stasis so just hang in there, we were lucky and got them going again in 24 hours but some buns take longer - just keep at it and get some rest yourself in between time! Nursing a sick bun through the night is exhausting. The fact that he is now alert and wanting to eat is a step up from total withdrawl and disinterest in food....so just keep going! Sending lots of vibes :D:wave:

Thanks again for the advice and reassurance ...

.... we have poop!! Only a few bits but thank God, poop! He's actually looking a bit spaced out, so I'm wondering if the painkiller is a bit heavy-duty for him. He eats about 5 inches of a blade of grass then pauses for ages before having the last inch or so. I'm wondering if that is part of the reason I'm having to wave it under his nose, it's like he's not aware food is there unless I remind him. He's had quite a bit of grass and just eaten some more spring green leaf. He's funny because the grass will have been there for 2 hours but when I'm hand feeding it blade by blade, he asks for the next one and it's been there all along :roll: It's just good to see him tucking in again. :love::love:

Thanks again for the advice and reassurance ...

.... we have poop!!

:thumb:

Great stuff you've turned the corner! Being up all night you see has paid off :D
Just keep going - keep it going and he'll be ok.
Did vet give him more vetergesic? Yes it can make them very sleepy which is why I prefer metacam a few days in, but if his tummy is a bit empty and he's not drinking much it will be safer I suppose this way.
Just keep doing what you are doing :)

:thumb:

Great stuff you've turned the corner! Being up all night you see has paid off :D
Just keep going - keep it going and he'll be ok.
Did vet give him more vetergesic? Yes it can make them very sleepy which is why I prefer metacam a few days in, but if his tummy is a bit empty and he's not drinking much it will be safer I suppose this way.
Just keep doing what you are doing :)

It doesn't say vetergesic on the invoice, the only one I don't recognise is "Buprecare" so I'm guessing that one's the strong painkiller (don't know if it's the same thing under a different name?).

I've not seen him drink of his own accord yet but he's eating loads of greens so not greatly worried. Nature made the grass and dandelions I collected at 2.00 am wet, so I didn't need to :lol: But I might just wash them in water with biolapis from now on though, if he'll take them.

Well, about an hour ago I was getting worried about him as he just seemed so sleepy and just wanted leaving in peace ... then I realised the other bunnies were all snoozing as well so I was probably just being paranoid.

I left the room for ten minutes or so and when I came back in he was sprawled in the middle of the floor (he's been tucked away under the shelf in his open-plan NIC grid cage for the last two days). The place he was laid is where he would normally be at this time of day :love::love: After working for 10 minutes I went to fuss him and he got up and turned round into 'nose rub' position for me (little softy) :love::love: I put my fingers under his jaw when I'm stroking is head and I could feel his teeth vibrating :love::love::love: I think the little love is starting to feel a bit better :D:love::love: I stopped stroking for a few seconds and got a really hard nudge to remind me what I'm there for :love::love:

Well, about an hour ago I was getting worried about him as he just seemed so sleepy and just wanted leaving in peace ... then I realised the other bunnies were all snoozing as well so I was probably just being paranoid.

I left the room for ten minutes or so and when I came back in he was sprawled in the middle of the floor (he's been tucked away under the shelf in his open-plan NIC grid cage for the last two days). The place he was laid is where he would normally be at this time of day :love::love: After working for 10 minutes I went to fuss him and he got up and turned round into 'nose rub' position for me (little softy) :love::love: I put my fingers under his jaw when I'm stroking is head and I could feel his teeth vibrating :love::love::love: I think the little love is starting to feel a bit better :D:love::love: I stopped stroking for a few seconds and got a really hard nudge to remind me what I'm there for :love::love:

Great news! :D:wave:
Yes Buprecare sounds like a buprenorphine related drug/containing drug so I expect that is what it is. It's an opiate so it will make him sleep yes.
I hope he continues to improve and you can finally get some sleep! :)

hope Artie is ok today :wave::wave::wave:

Thank you.

I'm actually a bit worried about him, if any knowledgeable & experienced people could offer any advice I'd be really grateful ...

He's okay in himself, has eaten loads of greens, a few over night (with encouragement and on his own) and is currently nibbling hay :D

But, I've seen him sit on the litter tray a few times and look like he's trying to pooh and then leaves having not done any. Since he started pooing yesterday afternoon he's done about 30 small pellets, the first few were quite wet, and 'ordinary' since then. He has had loads of greens (grass mainly, spring greens and dandelions) since he started eating ?40ish hours ago. Not sure if he's pooped since about 1am (there's some on the carpet that could be well since then). I have slept on the floor overnight and he hasn't been trying loads on the tray only about 2 or 3 times.
Is this fairly normal that he's having trouble pooing now, or is it cause for major concern? He's due another metaclop and metacam jab at 8.30. He doesn't look uncomfortable, nor does he feel bloated. He's wee'd a reasonable amount.

If he sounds in danger of a blockage then I'll probably want to rush him to Harrogate, but the traffic will be really horrible (Great Yorkshire Show still on) and I don't even know at this stage we have a rabbit vet available today :?

He only had 10ml of subQ fluids yesterday, I'll ask for more if necessary, it doesn't sound a lot considering all the figures I've seen for syringing water. Just another thought, would subq fluids be a bad thing at this stage, if he's less likely to drink if he's given them, he's eating loads of greens but normally drinks quite a bit as well, it's his guts that need the hydration most so perhaps if he's not drinking it would be worse, should I maybe ask the vets to syringe him water instead? Or perhaps the greens should be adequate anyway?

If anybody can set my mind at rest or tell me I'm right to be concerned, I'd be grateful.

Last edited:
Back