• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

GI Stasis - question for you all

I think there must be so many factors it hard to narrow it down to one or two.

I do think people take more note of bunnies behaviour than every before, maybe some trips to the vet aren't true stasis but a slow down which a bun would recover from in it's own time. It is so hard to tell. Poppy has had a few episodes where she has gone off her food, but I could tell it wasn't serious so let her be and she was eating again in a few hours :? Maybe the trip to the vets would have stressed her out and sent her into stasis.. But on other occasions I have been able to tell she needs the vet right away? I

Another thing that I think is important is that not all bunnies appear to be able to tolerate pellet food, and how many people fed pellets years ago?

Another thing that I think is important is that not all bunnies appear to be able to tolerate pellet food, and how many people fed pellets years ago?

I agree, I have switched a couple of mine onto a mix as a result.

Gawd, I am gonna be lynched soon.................

I do know one episode of Stasis was when we moved house (PrettyLupin had warned us that this would probably happen).

We moved her in last and her room had exactly the same set up etc all her toys and litter tray already there, but we had to move a piece of furniture in there later to put her fan, radio etc on and she was really upset about it, and stopped eating almost immediately.

The last time (Sunday) I think was due to the stress of a vet's visit and just maybe something to do with the boaster jab.

The time before that I have no clue.

Biscuit does get upset (thumps feet) at small noises like the hamster going around in his wheel. But loud noises like thunder or fireworks she doesn't mind at all...very odd bun.

This is exactly what I really like about this forum - questioning the standard care advice etc, and trying to figure things out. Ok so it's as confusing as :censored:, but there is nothing worse (in my view!) than just going along with standard norms without ever questioning it. We live and we learn, eh?

This is exactly what I really like about this forum - questioning the standard care advice etc, and trying to figure things out. Ok so it's as confusing as :censored:, but there is nothing worse (in my view!) than just going along with standard norms without ever questioning it. We live and we learn, eh?

Yeh, but I am still wearing a hard hat and full body armour as I post now.............:shock:

*knocks on Jane's hardhat* We all do the best we can for our buns with the knowledge we have, and given you have more knowledge than most, you're pretty safely doing what you think is best for them and I don't see how anyone could dispute that. It would take a thickie to try :p

Alvin has been to scotland and back a few times with no stasis episodes at all :?

Funnily enough we take our buns on holiday with us, it's either take them somwhere strange without us, or take them somewhere strange 'with' us. The 'with' us makes me feel more comfortable as then there will be one less stress - separation - and atleast we know our buns better than anyone else to spot the signs early. Our stasis/bloat bun has 'never' *touches wood!* had any problems at all either before, after or during the holiday! Including a 2 1/2 hr drive which he does find a little stressful. He copes better with vet trips too these days. I don't know if that is preparation? rescue remedy? stuffing his tummy before travel with food so it has to keep moving? or just luck really! :D
It's all very odd!:?
Like Clare I don't feed any commercial food either. :shock::lol:

Just wanted to add that I think alongside all the risk factors mentioned so far, there is also the question of early immunity from mum's milk and early healthcare and dietary and social needs which are important in establishing long term health and preventing against illness. Not to mention genetics and predisposition.
I think that a lot of buns today, especially rescues, which often seem to have begun life in petshops where they have probably been bred without regard often for genetic issues, and have been separated from mum too early, therefore, less immunity gained from the milk, and often not given adequate dietary and health care. I believe that long-term health is often dictated by the early care given.
The first buns we had in my family when I was a kid were all home-bred from our own two does with a friend's buck, and we kept all 10 babies as family pets, they were not separated from mum too early, and they lived in several social groups with siblings in huge home made 12ft runs and 8ft hutches and were extremely healthy rabbits. (I absolutely don't agree with amateur breeding as an adult and rescue rabbit owner, but it was the 80's and I was a child!)
The rabbits we had later on when we were much older/teenagers, were all petshop or breeder buns and probably not the best breeders in the world. These were all much sicklier rabbits and had digestive upset and runny eyes etc... This is just my limited personal experience but I believe that early life and early nutrition plays a big part in future health. :)

A girl i work with has a mini lop (ex breeding doe) who is never fed hay as she doesnt eat it, is fed a full bowl of mix food, get numerous treats daily, gets fed lots of sugary veg and fruit daily, isnt neutered or vaccinated and lives on her own.

Shes around 4/5 years old now and the girl has had her for 1 1/2 years! Shes NEVER had a health problem yet all of mine are around 2 and have had many problems even though they have a better diet, eat plenty of hay and have a friend and are vaccinated!!! :? Very strange :?

I used to vaccinate yearly for Myxi. Then I switched to 6 montly.
I had NUMEROUS Rabbits develope recurrent GI hypomotility problems after 18 months of 6 monthly Myxo Vacs, ie after 3 vaccinations. Three Rabbits very nearly died.

I am not for one second suggesting people should go aginst current advice re 6 monthly Myxi Vacs. But my personal belief is that the 6 monthly vaccination plus the yearly VHD vaccination has led to the problems in my Rabbits.

After lengthy discussion with my Vet my Rabbits will now be Vaccinated once a year for Myxomatosis.

Again, I am NOT suggesting that the decision me and my Vet have made for my Rabbits is appropriate for everyBun.

jane, is this due to your own rabbits having other medications at the time, or due to them generally having special needs or being lederly? just wondering if that would have had an influence? x

I agree, I have switched a couple of mine onto a mix as a result.

Gawd, I am gonna be lynched soon.................

actually its funny you mention this... i give mine a shot glass each of pellets in the morning and then a sshot glass of mix in the evening...why? because i think its nice not to have to eat the same food for every meal and its nice to have a variety... i think the pellets (particularly for my dental bunnys) is important but the only real reason mixes have been ruled as terrible is due to thier lower fibre content(which can be made up with lots of hay or grass) and due to buns selectivly feeding which isnt an issue if your rabbit eats it all so dont worry i think you are being logical! x

I used to vaccinate yearly for Myxi. Then I switched to 6 montly.
I had NUMEROUS Rabbits develope recurrent GI hypomotility problems after 18 months of 6 monthly Myxo Vacs, ie after 3 vaccinations. Three Rabbits very nearly died.

I am not for one second suggesting people should go aginst current advice re 6 monthly Myxi Vacs. But my personal belief is that the 6 monthly vaccination plus the yearly VHD vaccination has led to the problems in my Rabbits.

After lengthy discussion with my Vet my Rabbits will now be Vaccinated once a year for Myxomatosis.

Again, I am NOT suggesting that the decision me and my Vet have made for my Rabbits is appropriate for everyBun.

And MY rabbits are only vaccinated once against myxi and VHD when I first get them, then never again! I have not had any GI stasis incidents for years unless there was a serious underlying cause.

Like Jane, I don't recommend that people don't vaccinate their rabbits. But I do recommend to people that they read up on the subject of vaccinations, weigh up the risks and then make an educated decision as to how often they want to vaccinate (or as in my case indeed "if" they want to vaccinate after initial vaccinations)!

I do feel that vaccinations may have something to do with general health, though of course no-one knows for sure! But having two dogs with autoimmune problems, I am extremely careful with what chemicals I use on my animals and vaccinations are one of those that I minimise as much as I can!

Vera

That's very interesting Jane, thank you. Food for thought, don't worry I'm sure everyone understands you are not recommending this but going on your own personal experience for YOUR rabbits. :)

I think there is an interesting point about a compromised immune system and over stimulating the immune system, not enough is still known about rabbits sadly. I certainly believe that overloading the immune system can lead to illness in susceptible humans, I am such a patient!, so why not other mammals? I think susceptibility/predisposition is also an important factor.

I personally have my own theories on the rise of incidents of GI stasis, especially in house rabits. Firstly I believe that as we are all becoming aware of our rabbits and taking more interest in them as pets and being more vigilant, we are spotting illness that might have otherwise gone unnoticed. Rabbits can spontaneously, according to my vet, recover from GI stasis with no intervention at all in some cases - I have seen this myself when we got our first rescue bun, we didn't know that is what he had - now we know he had a pronounced associated bloat as well going on the symptoms he displayed then, and now, but he recovered all by himself the next day (he also had VHD limp and dental pain) but he got through it with no help at all poor thing :( (I'd better clarify - he had that day seen a well known rabbit-vet who had given him Cylap and 'clipped' his teeth and missed his GI stasis :( - we didn't deny him medical attention!!)
But I personally believe that it could have something to do with us by bringing them into our homes and making them our companions, and us theirs, we are enriching them socially and giving them hopefully more attentive and stimulating lives, however, they are prey animals first and foremost and as such are very sensitive to stress, our own emotional stresses - e.g.If I am tearful/upset Poppy's behaviour changes and she becomes difficult, she has wet her bedding on occasion before; physical and environmental change as stress such as noises, smells, strangers, furniture moving, routines upset; and most of all, I believe, separation stress from their companions - us, when we go away or out for the day. They don't understand that we are coming back again. This is just my own observations but our male bun used to get stasis every time we went away for the wknd (which was rare) despite a trusted friend visiting atleast 3x a day and spending time with him. The day after we came back - bloat/stasis.
It happened too often for it to be coincidence in my mind. The day we got him Poppy as a neutered female companion he has never had 'separation' related GI stasis since! :) He still gets it now and then for other reasons we can pinpoint - always with a stress factor involved. :(

I have 8 house rabbits and go away a few times a year, and very, very rarely have GI stasis incidents, in fact I can't remember the last one that wasn't due to a underlying serious medical issue! I do think though that stress does contribute though! Sometimes I wonder whether changing toys and their environment all the time is actually good for them, being animals led by habit. Sometimes I wonder whether cleaning their environment constantly so it never smells of them (particularly for house rabbits) stressed them out too... Do we maybe sometimes just fuss too much and with that put too much stress on them?

Who knows! But it's food for thought.

Vera

Back