• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Frequent dental issue

I took huchi to vet today . Her teeth are still not in bad shape and she isnt on any pain . Looks like eating hay is dependent on her mood :) i guess at midnight in her hide house she feels like eating hay . I will have to keep an eye on her to observe her schedule. At morning she chewed some coriander and spinach . She didnt look uncomfortable

I took huchi to vet today . Her teeth are still not in bad shape and she isnt on any pain . Looks like eating hay is dependent on her mood :) i guess at midnight in her hide house she feels like eating hay . I will have to keep an eye on her to observe her schedule. At morning she chewed some coriander and spinach . She didnt look uncomfortable
I would just weigh her a couple of times a week and monitor her poo output.

She again didnt eat last night . Hay was left untouched when i saw in the morning 😓 . I mashed some pellets and oats together and she ate well

If her gut is slow she may feel too full to eat, plus a slow gut can result in gassy gut which is uncomfortable.

Some bunnies are afraid at the vet and that may result in adrenaline masking pain or discomfort.

I have the same questions IM wrote above regarding pain meds and poo output.
Sending vibes she improves soon.
Also, what type of oats and how many are you using in her mash? They can be useful for maintaining weight, yet I would use sparingly if stasis is a possibility.

Last edited:
Her poo output was good in morning after eating the pellets mixture . She was playing and hoping so i guess she wasnt on pain . She tried to chew some hay and grass but after chewing some , it fell out of her mouth 😢 . Then she wouldnt touch anymore . Ate some corriander . I am just using one tablespoon of oats mostly pellets . If she doesnt eat grass tonight , i am thinking of making a paste and mix with her pellets

Last night she had a really good poo. Around 60-70 from evening to midnight . So i am assuming she isnt on stasis .

With huchi , its really becoming uncertain whether she will eat her hay today or not , or if i should give her softened food . Her poo was well from her childhood so even if she starves from midnight to dawn , she will produce droppings 😓 . If i didnt observe her hay last night , i wouldnt be able to know if she has eaten or not just looking at her droppings

Checking her droppings is a good way to check if she's eating enough - any change in size, shape and quantity should ring alarm bells.

My concern is that if you think she's not eating hay, she really should have an alternative food source. Rabbits should be almost constantly eating. If they are not eating, their guts shut down and you end up with a rabbit in stasis - which is a medical emergency and takes a lot of hands-on care over at least several days to treat.

If you know there is a dental issue, there's no point in forcing the issue if she physically can't eat enough hay. Hay should be supplied at all times, but if she's struggling to maintain her weight, you should be supplementary feeding.

Are you weighing her weekly to check? Weight loss means that she's not managing to eat enough and you need to look at different ways to help her.

I will make her a paste of pellets and grass tonight😢 . I stay really worried over her food intake .

I think there has to be something going on in her mouth that’s preventing her from eating hay again. It is impossible to get 100% view of the inside of a Rabbit’s mouth whilst they are awake. In order to be 100% certain that there are no structural reasons that are preventing her from eating hay sedation is needed. There is no exception to this, regardless of the skill set of the Vet. In fact a Rabbit Savvy/Exotics Vet will know that and not disagree.

‘’The oral cavity of rabbits is small, making it impossible to examine the cheek teeth without instrumentation and sedation. A cursory examination of the cheek teeth may be performed without sedation by using a bivalve nasal speculum or an otoscope cone. By inserting the speculum or cone through the diastema into the oral cavity, the occlusal surface of the cheek teeth may be briefly examined, although the viewing window is limited. The lateral and dorsal surfaces of the cheek teeth are difficult or impossible to evaluate in this fashion, and small dental lesions are easily missed.’’

Full article

Can i get some suggestion about what softened food I can feed her right now . Oxbow critical care is not available here 😓

You could just soften her usual pellets. I tend to pour boiling water on them and leave them for a while, then mash with a fork and add a bit of apple puree if it's for syringe feeding. The powdery bits from the bottom of a pack is also useful to save. Otherwise, just add a bit of water and leave them on a saucer.

If you need to syringe feed, I have used a coffee or spice grinder to turn dry pellets into a powder before adding water. You can add a small amount of a bunny friendly flavor of baby food.

If you need to syringe feed, I have used a coffee or spice grinder to turn dry pellets into a powder before adding water. You can add a small amount of a bunny friendly flavor of baby food.
I still dont need to syringe feed . She eats up mashed pallets by herself . I usually feed her Versele laga sensitive . But my Amazon order wont arrive Till middle of may . So i am giving Smartheart green apple 😓 i know its not a good one to give to her at this point . But have no other choice

I am feeling like a horrible parent right now . Maybe if i gave her better cut hay or more chew toys she wouldn't face these at such early stage of life

Sometimes all you can do is deal with the 'now'. If she can't eat enough / any hay, all you can do is work to what she can eat. I've had dental bunnies on mush for a few years before. If it keeps their weight steady and their guts functioning, it doesn't really bother the rabbit. You just have to keep an eye on when she needs another vet trip.

You are a good pet parent. You got her vet care multiple times and spent time researching things that may help her.
We do not always know why something happens, so as Shimmer said all we can do is our best to deal with the issue.
Sending you bith more positive vibes.

Will eating pellets more than usual bloat her tummy 😢 all the transitions with her food is making me worried about stasis

Back