• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daphne in stasis again

Just have another 8ml/10ml roughly... at least 2ml dribbled out. She refused water.

She's been burping or hiccuping a little bit. Not 100% sure which.

She looks worse than her worst stasis episode.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

You must be worried sick. Bunnies can't burp so it must be something else. Did your vet do blood glucose test? xx

You must be worried sick. Bunnies can't burp so it must be something else. Did your vet do blood glucose test? xx
Maybe hiccups then.

No blood glucose as examination was pretty good. Just at home she looks so ill.

She's currently sat all hunched up with her eyes squeezed shut.

Maybe hiccups then.

No blood glucose as examination was pretty good. Just at home she looks so ill.

She's currently sat all hunched up with her eyes squeezed shut.

Please keep us updated. I hope you see an improvement really soon xx

I hope she is better soon. But I think if she was my bun I would be ringing the vet back in case it’s advisable to take her in again.

Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Oh no no no daphne!! What's the situation today. Is she ok? Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Vet appointment said early stages stasis. No visible pain on palpation, soft normal feeling gut with some faeces ready to come out but not much else in there.

Get home and give her the gut meds after 30 mins she's cold again and not interested in food at all.

I force 5ml syringe feed which was an intense struggle otherwise I'd have wanted at least 20ml. Tempting with grass, thyme, brambles, cranberries.

She's doing a weird behaviour which I would appreciate opinions on. I didn't mention it to vet as I just thought it was tummy pressing to begin with but now I think otherwise - possible EC?

She's tummy pressing and stretching her back legs right out behind her... nothing too odd but then she's trying to turn around like this or tries to walk away like this taking a few moments to right her legs. She also appears to prefer being wedged between items or in a storage box than in the open under a table which is what she normally does in stasis

She's sitting in her sick corner, looking rather sorry for herself. She's allowing head strokes (very odd) and is refusing any thing that provides heat... as in she will move away from it.

The behaviour you describe is what Toby does when he's got gas. He stretches his back legs out and tries to turn round in a circle? If that's the same as daphne?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Re her 'odd' behaviour, has the Vet ruled out a bladder problem ? I have seen Rabbits with cystitis behaviour in a similar way to that which you are describing. The Rabbit stops eating due to bladder spasms/pain and then obviously their GI tract motility reduces.

Thank you everyone for the support and love.

So we were at the emergency vets until midnight. They had a road traffic accident come in to deal with so we were kept waiting around an hour to an hour & half. During this time we got Daphne to eat a dandelion leaf. We decided not to have a vet exam as she had now eaten something which gave me hope she was manageable.

The vet said he still wanted to check her over as we had gone all that way and he was sorry we had to be kept waiting so long. So he checked her over FOC as goodwill.

Examination was the same as at our vets... we were concerned and took her as she was getting lots of water in her mouth then letting it dribble out. She was getting her nose in the bowl and I was worried about her aspirating, her abdomen had also grown in size.

Once home she ate more grass etc so I was up every hour to ensure she was still eating and syringe feeding if not.

This morning we have poos and she's excited for food. Her abdomen has become smaller and she doesn't seem in pain. I'm still going to dose her on meds this morning and I'll be coming home to syringe feed during the day. She's locked in the bedroom so we can monitor on the camera.

Thank you again everyone. I wish I could quote you all.

Loobers the gas seems most likely for the behaviour. I've never seen it that intense before.

JJ the vet had a good palpation of her bladder, as did I, it felt perfectly normal so we don't believe cystitis but I may get a dip stick done to be sure.

We've no idea what has set off this episode. She's not had any different foods etc so it's a mystery.

Back