• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breathing noises.

Hey guys, we're home!
The vet said her breathing is much better today and she seems more active.
I showed him the lump and he said it's a booby cyst, he squeezed and some clear liquid came out, he said it'll be fine and will go Away.
He gave her another anti inflammatory injection as I'd given her baytril at 9am.
He weighed her and she has lost 30 something, not a lot he said, he checked her poo (I took a sample) and he said it all looks normal and healthy.
He has advised me to feed her 5ml oxbow every hour to ensure she is consuming something and c
To continue to put the bottle to her to make her drink as she isn't going for it herself.
He also said, she's not contagious, although some bacterial infections are ever so slightly catchable he's not concerned about her spreading it, so i asked if she could go back and he said to leave her another 2 days as he doesn't want her to run around and get wound up and struggle to breathe, hed rather he be relaxed and calm for another few days to help her recover quicker then she can go back.
I'm well chuffed with the news, definitely picked me up hearing she's doing well :)

Lady Blue is laying in her house as I type, giving me the evils haha :)

That's good news :) I hope that she will start to eat for herself soon xx

Good news from the vets.

Be careful that she is fully recovered before you put her back into the group - you could now have difficulty reintroducing her as she's been away from them for quite a while now.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Morning all
Thought I'd do another quick update on my lady Blue :)
She doesn't seem to be using her mouth as bad now, still like rocking forward with every breath although not as violent.
Every now and then she makes a crackling noise (like we do when we breathe through a snotty nose)
Yesterday I kept tempting her with water and she'd have a sip then turn away from it and hide, I've only just opened up her house and offered her water myself as I noticed the water hasn't gone down, and she instantly turned away from it, she did have an issue yesterday,she drank and then was like making weird noises and shaking her head, I wondered if she got all blocked up and couldn't breathe right? And if thats spooked her and stopped her wanting to drink??
She's got poops in her cage again this morning, I picked all the ones up before bed. She's got a couple squished ones,
Shes not really eating her veg atm, I gave her a parsnip, a carrot, some lettuce and a green bean trying to see of she'd eat, she's taken a couple bites but otherwise left them, which is not normal for her, she normally engulfs them instantly...
Any advice? I'm wondering if her mucus is upsetting her too much?
Oh and she does have wee patch, I've been checking and she has wee'd
I'm going to change her towel today and see if I get another wet patch.

I mentioned Bisolvon in one of my earlier posts - has your vet suggested this? It's really good to loosen and eliminate mucous :thumb:

I mentioned Bisolvon in one of my earlier posts - has your vet suggested this? It's really good to loosen and eliminate mucous :thumb:

Hey, No he said she's doing OK atm, small amounts of "snot" coming our but he said her breathing is easier and less irritated, he just said carry on with baytril as it's clearly working and he gave he another anti inflammatory to help, she's going back in to see him for a check up on Tuesday :)

Hey, No he said she's doing OK atm, small amounts of "snot" coming our but he said her breathing is easier and less irritated, he just said carry on with baytril as it's clearly working and he gave he another anti inflammatory to help, she's going back in to see him for a check up on Tuesday :)

Oh good - sounds extremely promising :D

Morning all, thought id do another update :)
Lady Blue is doing good, she's actually letting us put the syringe in her mouth for her baytril, although some resistance at the start.
She seems to want to lay down a lot, she gets up for a little hop then straight back to laying down, I've moved her bottle right down so she just turns her head whilst laying and she can drink, seems to work, she's had two drinks by herself now!

I have noticed a few more "squishy" poos in her cage, she also did poo on my bed and there was two clumps of squishy ones and about 6-7 normal balls, she doesn't seem to be eating her hay :(
She's had a nibble at some nuggets and she'll be having Oxbow soon, what else can I provide her with to keep her poops solid, this only started last night and this morning as she was doing normal poops when we went to see the vets - Could the medicine be causing it? Or just not eating her hay (due to missing friends?)

Her breathing is still noticeable, a few crackles then silence but with the minor lean forward, no mouth action though.

She's eaten the lettuce i gave her last night, is there any veg that Could help her poo?

Many thanks :)

Lower water content food might help - kale, greens etc.
If she's not had lettuce before that could cause tummy upsets.

Are they soft poos or uneaten caechatrphes?

Medicine can definitely cause softened faeces, but until we know which faeces type it is, it'll be difficult to say what's causing it.

Lower water content food might help - kale, greens etc.
If she's not had lettuce before that could cause tummy upsets.

Are they soft poos or uneaten caechatrphes?

Medicine can definitely cause softened faeces, but until we know which faeces type it is, it'll be difficult to say what's causing it.

Hey,
She's had lettuce before :)
I think they're uneaten caechatrphes, I can see the shapes of the poops but they're stuck together and squishy.

In the fridge atm i have, swede, cabbage, green beans, carrots and peppers left for them, any of them good for low water?

Cabbage is pretty good :)
It could be she's getting too many pellets or veg causing her not to eat all the caechos as the diet is too rich.

I'd be tempted to say to reduce her pellets slightly to see if she eats more hay again but if you decide to do this do it very carefully as you don't want her to stop eating again.

Okies, Ive just changed her towel as shed decided to lay on her poo -_- I'll grab her some cabbage now,
She had a poo stuck to her bum yesterday that I managed to clean off, been checking her twice daily now for a dirty bum but she's been clean so hopefully it was just where she'd pooped and sat in it xD

She's definitely back to her usual self more now, she's got a fiesty temperament, and she was definitely giving us some sass this morning when trying to give her her baytril lol :)

Morning all, thought id do another update :)
Lady Blue is doing good, she's actually letting us put the syringe in her mouth for her baytril, although some resistance at the start.
She seems to want to lay down a lot, she gets up for a little hop then straight back to laying down, I've moved her bottle right down so she just turns her head whilst laying and she can drink, seems to work, she's had two drinks by herself now!

I have noticed a few more "squishy" poos in her cage, she also did poo on my bed and there was two clumps of squishy ones and about 6-7 normal balls, she doesn't seem to be eating her hay :(
She's had a nibble at some nuggets and she'll be having Oxbow soon, what else can I provide her with to keep her poops solid, this only started last night and this morning as she was doing normal poops when we went to see the vets - Could the medicine be causing it? Or just not eating her hay (due to missing friends?)

Her breathing is still noticeable, a few crackles then silence but with the minor lean forward, no mouth action though.

She's eaten the lettuce i gave her last night, is there any veg that Could help her poo?

Many thanks :)

Fibre is the best (and only) thing that helps poos to be better. Hay, readigrass and fresh grass :thumb:

Lettuce does no harm. The water content of veggies is what makes them terrific for the bladder. Frances Harcourt Brown feeds lettuce to her rabbits.

I'm not sure why you want to lower the water content of her input? We advise grass instead of hay simply because it contains *more* moisture rather than less, which of course is good for digestive tract and bladder.

Okies, Ive just changed her towel as shed decided to lay on her poo -_- I'll grab her some cabbage now,
She had a poo stuck to her bum yesterday that I managed to clean off, been checking her twice daily now for a dirty bum but she's been clean so hopefully it was just where she'd pooped and sat in it xD

She's definitely back to her usual self more now, she's got a fiesty temperament, and she was definitely giving us some sass this morning when trying to give her her baytril lol :)

I suspect that the soft poo is due to both the lack of fibre (hay) and also because she is on oral antibiotics. The latter can disrupt the gut flora.

Is she taking Critical Care feeds OK ?

Is she used to eating grass ? If so then you could hand pick some for her as that will provide a source of fibre whilst she is refusing to eat hay.

Fibre is the best (and only) thing that helps poos to be better. Hay, readigrass and fresh grass :thumb:

Lettuce does no harm. The water content of veggies is what makes them terrific for the bladder. Frances Harcourt Brown feeds lettuce to her rabbits.

I'm not sure why you want to lower the water content of her input? We advise grass instead of hay simply because it contains *more* moisture rather than less, which of course is good for digestive tract and bladder.

Someone said that she should eat low water veg to stop her poos, that's why I was asking what sort of veg lol :)

She doesn't eat grads often as we don't have any in the garden, but she has had it once in a while when we do the front garden and pick out the weeds and grass that's come through, I can go over the road and pick tons, do you think that'll help her poo?

She done some more squishy ones and keeps walking on it and mashing it into her towel, had to change it twice now :/

I suspect that the soft poo is due to both the lack of fibre (hay) and also because she is on oral antibiotics. The latter can disrupt the gut flora.

Is she taking Critical Care feeds OK ?

Is she used to eating grass ? If so then you could hand pick some for her as that will provide a source of fibre whilst she is refusing to eat hay.

Sometimes lol, she can be a moo and refuse to allow me to give her the oxbow but i keep trying, I put some on her cabbage earlier and she ate it, she's just very sassy bunny and she'll show you she isn't pleased with you lol

Someone said that she should eat low water veg to stop her poos, that's why I was asking what sort of veg lol :)

She doesn't eat grads often as we don't have any in the garden, but she has had it once in a while when we do the front garden and pick out the weeds and grass that's come through, I can go over the road and pick tons, do you think that'll help her poo?

She done some more squishy ones and keeps walking on it and mashing it into her towel, had to change it twice now :/

Yes, grass is simply hay with the moisture left in :D So long as it looks fairly healthy (we can't always avoid dog wee when foraging!).

I think restricting a rabbit's water intake is not a good thing, just as with a human.

Perhaps major on the fibre and keep the veg intake lower right now, to combat the messy poos. Especially in these hot days - fly strike and all that.

Yes, grass is simply hay with the moisture left in :D So long as it looks fairly healthy (we can't always avoid dog wee when foraging!).

I think restricting a rabbit's water intake is not a good thing, just as with a human.

Perhaps major on the fibre and keep the veg intake lower right now, to combat the messy poos. Especially in these hot days - fly strike and all that.

Right OK I'll try that :)
Thank you, Yeh I pick up the poos when I see them but she seems to poo then walk over them straight away, managed to wash out some but some are so mashed up I just replaced her towel, don't want her beautiful fur having poop in it!!

Quick update before bed, Blue is eating more today, she hid in her cardboard house and sneakily ate some straw lol! I had to go out today so my partner bunnysat her and said she had some more pellets earlier and some water, she seems to eat more when I'm not around lol! I think it's because she's on my side of the room and she can see me whereas when my partner is on the bed she can't see him.
I brought her some Kale, a pink ball and some baked treats as she isn't taking her yoghurt ones after her yucky medicine.
She scoffed a bit of kale and wolfed down her baked treat after her medicine, she seemed happier, she hopped around the bed and actually laid down and relaxed.
Have cleaned all poop out her cage so will see what we have tomorrow morning, she hasn't touched the grass I got for her earlier.

Goodnight all the bunnies out there and their loving hooomins :)

Last edited:
Quick update before bed, Blue is eating more today, she hid in her cardboard house and sneakily ate some straw lol! I had to go out today so my partner bunnysat her and said she had some more pellets earlier and some water, she seems to eat more when I'm not around lol! I think it's because she's on my side of the room and she can see me whereas when my partner is on the bed she can't see him.
I brought her some Kale, a pink ball and some baked treats as she isn't taking her yoghurt ones after her yucky medicine.
She scoffed a bit of kale and wolfed down her baked treat after her medicine, she seemed happier, she hopped around the bed and actually laid down and relaxed.
Have cleaned all poop out her cage so will see what we have tomorrow morning, she hasn't touched the grass I got for her earlier.

Goodnight all the bunnies out there and their living hooomins :)

Goodnight Lady Blue, and thank you for letting us know how you are :wave:

I hope you're feeling even better tomorrow :D

Morning all!

Lady Blue is doing well, She was seen nomming her straw bedding again this morning lol.
Her waters gone down a good couple inches in the night.
Not many poops since 11 last night, about 5 or so, will monitor her today and see how many she does and if they're getting any harder.

She's been refusing her oxbow from the syringe, so we've been putting her 5ml onto a tupperware lid and she's been happily picking it up from there, think she's definitely better as she's always been a proud independent little lady, she doesn't like being helped lol!

She's chilling atm, she knows it's yucky medicine time so she's staying away from me haha.

Her breathing is still visible as she does the rock forward but barely any noise (mainly when eating or drinking)
The noise is like a soft snotty noise, but not as harsh or crackly like before, hopefully she's feeling much better.

Back