• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ash Tree fine to feed?

chelle

Warren Veteran
hey all,

so Ive got an ash tree and obviously the bunnies have been chomping on the fallen leaves for years....and Ive just realised that its fine to actually feed as a foraged plant....anyone know how much is ok?

the branches to gnaw on too?

and the seeds?

Ive never purposefully fed it and always tried to clear it up..did some research yesterday and apparently its ok for rabbits..

Yes perfectly great :thumb:

I have a mountain ash in the garden and my Casserole will jump on top of the run and pick his own leaves and berries straight from the branches that hang in his reach :roll:

I regularly chop off a branch and put it in the run so they all sit around and chomp away ;) they leave nothing not even a tiny twig :lol: I do tend to pull off the majority of the berries tho so they don't over indulge but if they are free range then they chomp away :D

Ooo brilliant didnt know this, we have loads of ash trees will get some for my darlings next time i am ouside.

Ash has the advantage that it's really fast-growing too, so it produces lots more tasty branches quite quickly. :)

Brilliant thank you all - very helpful. I think I must have a different type of ash as mine doesnt have berries that i recall...more like big bunches of seed things...but tons of leaves & all summer I could have started drying it for winter forage..never mind..think I might go chop a load off now before it al starts to fall...the bunnies love it.

I have written down a list of tree's I need to go & identify for the future as I usually end up picking hawthorn, willow apple etc but Ive got the list so nowe to actually do it & make sure its right.

Thanks again :)

Back