• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Adrenal gland hyperplasia

I really hope so JJ- his I want sex and I want to mount noise is horrendous!!

I know it’s so stressful, both for the Bunnies and for those of us caring for them. I know some people might think of it all as funny, but it really isn’t when you are having to cope with it :(

I still don’t think the injection has really kicked in.

I am hoping Zigs eventually stops buzzing. And starts eating!

Last edited:
Me too, I feel dreadful because it’s all a bit stressful with everything else.

I still hope it will work.

Yes it was an lupron injection, which they said would take around a week to work. The RVC wanted to do this first before administering the implant that you’ve mentioned. I’ll see whether anything changes by early next week.

Thank you for mentioning the Pet Remedy- we have the spray, but he’s still a horny boy!

Yes it was an lupron injection, which they said would take around a week to work. The RVC wanted to do this first before administering the implant that you’ve mentioned. I’ll see whether anything changes by early next week.

Thank you for mentioning the Pet Remedy- we have the spray, but he’s still a horny boy!

Poor lad :cry: I know it is stressful for you too, I remember all too well what my three Bucks were like before they had their implants :cry:

Thanks JJ, it’s really stressful as they both have such other random and rarer ailments. You will know what this feels like. I feel like I’ve lost my Zigzag. It’s so sad.

I may insist on the implant even if it doesn’t work too well. I think things may have calmed down by 10%…

Thanks JJ, it’s really stressful as they both have such other random and rarer ailments. You will know what this feels like. I feel like I’ve lost my Zigzag. It’s so sad.

I may insist on the implant even if it doesn’t work too well. I think things may have calmed down by 10%…

I can only base this on my own minimal experience but with the Suprelorin it was not as effective in the one Buck of the three whose type of adrenal gland tumour was malignant. I think most are usually found to be benign. Maybe you could ask the RVC Vet about this ?

In a way it must be a bit like you have lost Zigzag to a sort of dementia. As he is still here in body, but he’s just not the same Rabbit now his life is consumed by raging hormones. That must be so hard for you as I know how much you love him :cry:

Yes I will def ask them about this. I’m constantly harassing them with questions as Twickenham referred both of my bunnies to their care! What did you have to do with the Buck that didn’t respond as well?

I see what you mean about the dementia comparison. I just feel devastated, as it’s hard seeing him like this. It’s taken such a toll on my mental health; the last year has been incredibly difficult with both bunnies, and I’m just tired of it all. I’m probably being too honest now! X

Yes I will def ask them about this. I’m constantly harassing them with questions as Twickenham referred both of my bunnies to their care! What did you have to do with the Buck that didn’t respond as well?

I see what you mean about the dementia comparison. I just feel devastated, as it’s hard seeing him like this. It’s taken such a toll on my mental health; the last year has been incredibly difficult with both bunnies, and I’m just tired of it all. I’m probably being too honest now! X

It is completely understandable to feel mentally done in when caring for two Rabbits with ongoing complex problems. The situation can become all consuming and it’s ‘normal’ to sometimes feel you’ve just had enough. Those thoughts often being followed by feelings of profound guilt as we know it’s not the Rabbits fault that they have become so challenging to care for. And the guilt just makes us feel worse and so the cycle continues.

With my Buck for whom the Suprelorin was not so effective sadly his tumour spread to his lungs I had to let him go. So his hyper - sexual behaviour didn’t go on for too long. For the first couple of months after the implant he did calm down, just not as much as the other two. Then he started to display respiratory problems (laboured breathing). A chest X-ray revealed a large mass on his left lung. He was not woken up from the GA as his QOL was not great and would only get worse in the following few weeks :cry:

Oh I’m sorry to hear about what happened to your bunny, especially as he had a breathing issue. It’s really hard to deal with along with the sexual behaviour. Hopefully his behaviour has calmed down over the rainbow bridge and he doesn’t have those raging hormones.

Thanks for your understanding on the all consuming feeling. It really is, and I just feel like I’ve had enough of both of them at the moment. And as mentioned I just feel like I’ve lost my rabbit in a way. I’m sure I’ll get to the guilt stage shortly…! On a slightly positive note the fecal marking has slightly reduced and there has probably been a 10-15% improvement. Not enough to improve my mental health 🤣

Last edited:
I think there’s been a 50% improvement. He still makes the vile buzzing sound now and again. The injection only lasts around 3-4 weeks! So I’ll be back at the vets soon for the implant……

I think there’s been a 50% improvement. He still makes the vile buzzing sound now and again. The injection only lasts around 3-4 weeks! So I’ll be back at the vets soon for the implant……

I'm glad there has been some improvement though I guess theres still a way to go. Hopefully the implant will be even more effective.

Spring fever (not the same I know) has peaked here

Oh, I don’t mind the Buzzing, it’s seeing them endlessly humping and spraying that I found so upsetting as I felt so bad for their partners.

I guess a 50% improvement is better than no improvement at all.

My buck had this problem and it was a nightmare, his lady friend was utterly exhausted by it, endless buzzing, chasing and humping. What cured him and made him a lovely bunny again was the herb 'agnus castus'. A vet recommended the tincture, I added a little boiling water to it to evaporate off the alcohol, let it cool and then added it to their water bottle. I had to do it for about six years and it was a faff but so worth it.

Zigzag hasn’t sprayed yet. The endless humming is painful to watch, but I found the not eating was the worst for me.

Moonstone I will have a look at the herb, but I must admit am relying on the implant

My buck had this problem and it was a nightmare, his lady friend was utterly exhausted by it, endless buzzing, chasing and humping. What cured him and made him a lovely bunny again was the herb 'agnus castus'. A vet recommended the tincture, I added a little boiling water to it to evaporate off the alcohol, let it cool and then added it to their water bottle. I had to do it for about six years and it was a faff but so worth it.
Hi there

I came across this post when looking for information on what to do when the deslorelin implant fails. Could you give me more info on it and what dosage? My vet said she thinks he’s become resistant to the implant and will look into Lupron.
Don’t know if we can try that if he still has the new implant in him? He just got it 3 weeks ago. It sucks cause the first implant worked for over a year! Second implant worked a little bit, this one nothing so far! Second implant was only 4-ish months ago too. It barely worked but didn’t want to give him the 3rd implant so soon.
Poor guy is going nuts with the honking and chasing, can’t even step in the room because he goes nuts! I can sit and pet him but then he gets a whiff of my arm (scent) and goes crazy! I hate to see him suffer!

Back