• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

6th bun with stasis since November - Snowflake - U/d post #124

Such great news she definitely seems to be turning a corner . Bunny urine varies a lot - I wouldn't worry about it at this stage. She is a gorgeous bunny xx

I hope now things are moving that she will start to feel better, sending lots more vibes xx

I'm pleased she's showing some improvement. I also would not be concerned by the urine colour.

Thank you so much :)

She's eaten a little bit of parsley and I thnk some basil. She's sort of picking at food and she's moving around a lot.
I spoke to a vet at Vets Now and she said she thinks the brown urine is probably from dehydration. She told me to give her the metacam now as the other drug would have worn off (that was a challenge, she's sick of having syringes stuck in her mouth I think!). We've left it on a basis of my trying to get her through the night to see my normal vet tomorrow. Karolina, my normal rabbit-savvy vet, is in tomorrow so I'll take her to see her. In the meantime I've got give critical care by syringe every two hours and monitor her. If she goes downhill again I've got to call back VetsNow and see what they're willing to do but at the moment it's a matter of trying to get her through the night. I've not slept for three nights minus the odd 5-10 minutes here and there so tonight's going to be fun. But she's so worth it.
I'm nervous to be too hopeful at this point but I'm so happy to see her eating and leaving droppings again! I hope things are going to keep going in the right direction.
I'll post again when there are any updates.
I cannot thank you all enough, every one of you, for all the advice and support you've offered. Thank you so, so much xx

I've just caught up with your thread, that's a wonderful update. So pleased to hear that your lovely bun is starting to poop and nibble. I really hope she continues to improve xx

She's eaten a little bit of parsley and I thnk some basil. She's sort of picking at food and she's moving around a lot.
I spoke to a vet at Vets Now and she said she thinks the brown urine is probably from dehydration. She told me to give her the metacam now as the other drug would have worn off (that was a challenge, she's sick of having syringes stuck in her mouth I think!). We've left it on a basis of my trying to get her through the night to see my normal vet tomorrow. Karolina, my normal rabbit-savvy vet, is in tomorrow so I'll take her to see her. In the meantime I've got give critical care by syringe every two hours and monitor her. If she goes downhill again I've got to call back VetsNow and see what they're willing to do but at the moment it's a matter of trying to get her through the night. I've not slept for three nights minus the odd 5-10 minutes here and there so tonight's going to be fun. But she's so worth it.
I'm nervous to be too hopeful at this point but I'm so happy to see her eating and leaving droppings again! I hope things are going to keep going in the right direction.
I cannot thank you all enough, every one of you, for all the advice and support you've offered. Thank you so, so much xx

I've just managed to log back on to see your post - and I'm full of hope :D

I'm glad we could support and reassure you through this, and I'm sending more vibes (and those special overnight ones too) right now for both her and you.

You must be totally shattered, but you're keeping your drive and sense of perspective in all this. I don't know how you do it!

Well done, and keep going. She sounds like she wants to fight :D

I've just finished work and I've now caught up with your thread. It sounds like she has made quite a lot of progress this evening.
You have done such a great job with her :) I'll keep checking back for your next update! Xx

I hope that Snowflake has continued to improve throughout the night. It'd be a good idea to ask Karolina if Snowflake can have some subcutaneous fluids this morning given her signs of dehydration and the fact that she is having Metacam. The fluids will also be supportive of her recovery from gut stasis :)

I hope that Snowflake has continued to improve throughout the night. It'd be a good idea to ask Karolina if Snowflake can have some subcutaneous fluids this morning given her signs of dehydration and the fact that she is having Metacam. The fluids will also be supportive of her recovery from gut stasis :)
I will do that - thanks Jane!

A quick update on her, through the night she started to improve little by little and her droppings are now round and firm, albeit very small, but slowly returning to normal. I tried to sleep a little and got up every hour to check on her and attemt syringe feeding (I can confirm she has definitely had enough of the syringe going on the amount of thumping, running away and the growl I revceived this morning :roll:). She was doing well and eating hay as well as some fresh herbs so I left her a little longer and got 2 1/2hrs sleep. I've just got up to see her and offered her a bunch of parsley which was quickly whipped from my hand so all looking good so far.
I'm going to call Carefree Credit now and see if they can help ou by loaning the fee for Vets Now, which should leave me with enough to take her up my regular vet later this morning. So all going well if they're happy to do that things should be looking better.
Snowflake herself looks a lot better. She's quite bright and doesn't look as distended anymore. She's not there yet but so far it's all heading in the right direction so I'm cautiously hopeful

Edit: Just checked her again and she's had all of the parsley I gave her. It was a fairly big bunch, too!

Edit (again): Okay, so not so good now.. Apparently you need a minimum monthly income of £1000 for Carefree Credit. I spoke to someone just now and they're not even willing to consider me :/ so now I'm stuck. The only thing I can try is a personal loan from a normal lender but the fees are incredibly high as the majority don't accept people on benefits. So going to have to rethik this now :(

Last edited:
I am pleased to hear Snowflake is doing better today and hope she continues to improve. I hope you can sort something out regarding your finances.

I am pleased to hear Snowflake is doing better today and hope she continues to improve. I hope you can sort something out regarding your finances.
Thank you. She seems to be doing well so far this morning. She's booked in this afternoon for a check with my normal vet and I've been told there won't be a consult fee as it's a continuation of yesterday so that helps keep it down. I'm not having a lot of success with the loan, I just got declined by Wonga though they won't say why. I've never taken out a loan before so it's not missed payments or anything. I assume they just don't like that I'm on a low income.
Important thing right now is Snowflake seems to be doing well. But I've still got to try to determine the cause of all this because there's no way it's a coincidence that six of them have had stasis in four months. Something is wrong.
I'm going to make a post later about their diet, see if perhaps that's where I'm going wrong. Maybe I'm feeding too much of something or not enough of something else? I don't know

A quick update on her, through the night she started to improve little by little and her droppings are now round and firm, albeit very small, but slowly returning to normal. I tried to sleep a little and got up every hour to check on her and attemt syringe feeding (I can confirm she has definitely had enough of the syringe going on the amount of thumping, running away and the growl I revceived this morning :roll:). She was doing well and eating hay as well as some fresh herbs so I left her a little longer and got 2 1/2hrs sleep. I've just got up to see her and offered her a bunch of parsley which was quickly whipped from my hand so all looking good so far.
I'm going to call Carefree Credit now and see if they can help ou by loaning the fee for Vets Now, which should leave me with enough to take her up my regular vet later this morning. So all going well if they're happy to do that things should be looking better.
Snowflake herself looks a lot better. She's quite bright and doesn't look as distended anymore. She's not there yet but so far it's all heading in the right direction so I'm cautiously hopeful

Edit: Just checked her again and she's had all of the parsley I gave her. It was a fairly big bunch, too!

Edit (again): Okay, so not so good now.. Apparently you need a minimum monthly income of £1000 for Carefree Credit. I spoke to someone just now and they're not even willing to consider me :/ so now I'm stuck. The only thing I can try is a personal loan from a normal lender but the fees are incredibly high as the majority don't accept people on benefits. So going to have to rethik this now :(

I am so pleased that Snowflake is improving. That must be a massive weight off your mind, and I hope she will continue to improve.

So sorry to hear about the financials. Will your regular vet let you have some credit - even for a short while?

They're very insistant on having payment up front, though they did very kindly let us pay the remaining £123 of a £600+ bill for Max in January when we lost him. They let us do it a week later, which we did so there's a small chance but apparently there's no consult fee today as it's a continuation of yesterday and there's still some money left from what the RSPCA are willing to give so hopefully anything I have to pay today will be minimal anyway. Though I think that may be something they allow for high amounts anyway as they offer a 'spread the cost' thing over a certain amount (I think £399). Thing is it's advertised on a huge sign but whenever I ask about it they say they don't do it so I don't know.
I'm trying some other ideas at the moment. Right now the important thing is that Snowflake is doing well. I'm hoping I might get some emeprid or something today to keep her going on the right track, assuming my vet feels thats a good idea

Thank you. She seems to be doing well so far this morning. She's booked in this afternoon for a check with my normal vet and I've been told there won't be a consult fee as it's a continuation of yesterday so that helps keep it down. I'm not having a lot of success with the loan, I just got declined by Wonga though they won't say why. I've never taken out a loan before so it's not missed payments or anything. I assume they just don't like that I'm on a low income.
Important thing right now is Snowflake seems to be doing well. But I've still got to try to determine the cause of all this because there's no way it's a coincidence that six of them have had stasis in four months. Something is wrong.
I'm going to make a post later about their diet, see if perhaps that's where I'm going wrong. Maybe I'm feeding too much of something or not enough of something else? I don't know

Yes a good idea. I would opt for too much of something! But we'll see.

I would definitely consider EC, if you think it might be something infectious that they are passing between them.

Well we strongly suspect Maple died of EC as she seemed to be mostly paralyzed in her back legs the day before we lost her. She had trouble standing and couldn't for long. Hence why they all went on Panacur at my vet's recommendation. However Snowflake's stasis episode has come just after starting Panacur again and based on some things that I've read from another member on here I'm starting to think it could well be linked. I wish I could afford a blood test but at the moment I can't. It's not as bad as my vet has an in-house lab so blood doesn't need to be sent away. I might think about getting one of them tested in a few weeks to see if anything can be found.
I need to start building up my insurance account again quickly so I'm prepared if something happens to another one. I was going to take out insurance with Helpucover for them all but they have so many things that could be classed as pre-existing now (5 of them having had stasis plus other things) that I think I'd be better off putting the money away. It would have cost £16.75 a week for them all so I'm going to try to put at least that away each week and any extra I might have left over can go into the account too once we're over all the vets fees from this week.

Snowflake's been resting a lot today and doesn't seem to want to come out for a run but she looks comfortable, not in pain or discomfort and does get up from time to time to eat hay or drink some water so I'm letting her rest for now. Her appointment is at 3.20 this afternoon. I'll update again after that with whatever treatment my vet's given her and how she is.

An EC blood test just tests for exposure at some stage (rather than active infection), unless they've been improved since my bunny keeping days, so probably wouldn't be worth your money anyway.

Best of luck at the vets.

Oh, I thought it showed up in the blood. I'll have a look into that then to see if there's another way to test for it or not.

Well we strongly suspect Maple died of EC as she seemed to be mostly paralyzed in her back legs the day before we lost her. She had trouble standing and couldn't for long. Hence why they all went on Panacur at my vet's recommendation. However Snowflake's stasis episode has come just after starting Panacur again and based on some things that I've read from another member on here I'm starting to think it could well be linked. I wish I could afford a blood test but at the moment I can't. It's not as bad as my vet has an in-house lab so blood doesn't need to be sent away. I might think about getting one of them tested in a few weeks to see if anything can be found.
I need to start building up my insurance account again quickly so I'm prepared if something happens to another one. I was going to take out insurance with Helpucover for them all but they have so many things that could be classed as pre-existing now (5 of them having had stasis plus other things) that I think I'd be better off putting the money away. It would have cost £16.75 a week for them all so I'm going to try to put at least that away each week and any extra I might have left over can go into the account too once we're over all the vets fees from this week.

Snowflake's been resting a lot today and doesn't seem to want to come out for a run but she looks comfortable, not in pain or discomfort and does get up from time to time to eat hay or drink some water so I'm letting her rest for now. Her appointment is at 3.20 this afternoon. I'll update again after that with whatever treatment my vet's given her and how she is.

I expect Snowflake is feeling rather tired having been so poorly. It may take a couple more days before she is fully back to normal. I hope that you get on OK at the Vet's this afternoon xx

I'll be thinking of you this afternoon and hope Snowflake gets on well at the vet.

It's an interesting debate about Panacur, EC, stasis, and I think everything needs to be weighed up. One of my rabbits had a severe reaction to Panacur, and although I still use it, I feel no drug is without it's side effects.

Good luck xx

Back