• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

3 weeks old kit nibbling on the vegs...

Etoile

New Kit
You can read my story in the intro section. I have a baby rabbit to care for. He's now 3 weeks old (tomorrow!) and since last week, he nibbles on hay (both alfafa and timothy) and on the pellets like his mom and dad. He drinks from a water bowl too. He's a quick learner and being the only one in the litter must help him grow fast. So... I read everywhere over the web that baby rabbits should not eat veggies and greens before 12 weeks old, 8 weeks old or sometimes not even before 6 months old!

I'm feeding mom and dad their greens and veggies out of cages, but this morning, I found out that baby Etoile is now able to hop outside of the cage by himself! I found it as he had join his mom and dad and was now nibbling on some greens very happily!!! :?:shock: He's still nursing on his mom and I dont intend to separate them, so he will be wean only when mom will believe "enough is enough". I'm building them a large bunny condo to house all the family together (will be all day free roaming in a large room too!). Mom will be spay as soon as she stop nursing.

Anyway, my question is about baby Etoile, 3 weeks old tomorrow, nibbling on romaine lettuce!!! Should I worry? should I separate them when the adults eat their greens and veggies? when will it be ok? (he has eat only some very small tiny part, as I discovered him very quickly and I took him out of the room).

I understand from some web sites that everything should be ok because mom was eating greens and veggies during her pregnancy and still while nursing, so he's kind of used to it... but some say that he will allmost die if he does it! He's like my own baby now and I wouldnt like him to be hurt in anyway. Please help! :thumb:

Last edited:
Hello

If his Mum has been eating Veg whilst nursing him then him nibbling at a small amount of Veg too will be fine. I would avoid feeding carrots or fruit though, due to the high sugar content which can cause a lot of GI tract problems.

Has the Buck been with the Doe since she gave birth ? If so then the Doe is very likely to be pregnant again and she could deliver another litter in the next week or so.

No, I truly believe that she cant be pregnant. He has been neutered 5 days after his adoption. They were together since their first owner has bought them from a petstore. She was already pregnant when I adopted her. When he came back from neutering, I allready know at that time that she was a "she" and that she was certainly pregnant, so they were separated in two cages from that time.

They cameback together last week (for free time during day). I introduce him to mom first (but it was like they never got separated) and to the baby (he's a sweet dad, Etoile follow him and hide under his belly!). So he was neutered since 1 month when he came back with her. From my vet point of view, it was more than safe. Do you believe other way? He never NEVER attempt to mount her. In fact, he's not marking anymore, no more bullying on her too. He has change quite a bit.

sorry, I just noticed that I had never mentionned here that the dad was neutered... I had explain it in my introduction, sorry!

and by the way, THANKS for the info about babies and veggies... I'm relieved!! :)

Last edited:
No, I truly believe that she cant be pregnant. He has been neutered 5 days after his adoption. They were together since their first owner has bought them from a petstore. She was already pregnant when I adopted her. When he came back from neutering, I allready know at that time that she was a "she" and that she was certainly pregnant, so they were separated in two cages from that time.

They cameback together last week (for free time during day). I introduce him to mom first (but it was like they never got separated) and to the baby (he's a sweet dad, Etoile follow him and hide under his belly!). So he was neutered since 1 month when he came back with her. From my vet point of view, it was more than safe. Do you believe other way? He never NEVER attempt to mount her. In fact, he's not marking anymore, no more bullying on her too. He has change quite a bit.

sorry, I just noticed that I had never mentionned here that the dad was neutered... I had explain it in my introduction, sorry!

and by the way, THANKS for the info about babies and veggies... I'm relieved!! :)

Bucks can remain fertile for up to SIX WEEKS after neutering !!

Ok...Around here, vets told me that 2 or 3 weeks was ok. One vet told me 4 weeks and as i wanted to be safer, and I believed that the longer the better, I wait 4 weeks ! I hope shes not pregnant again. I would have families for the babies (was prepared for more than one kit!) But it was lots of stress for the mother and for me. He shows no sexual interest at her. In fact, he show no sexual interest at all! No mounting behavior, no marking, no circling. Since I got them, I saw him try to mount her only once and it was before being neutered and she was growling at him (was pregnant at that time). A that time he was also marking and circling a lot. Since being neutered, he has change completly.
My fingers are cross! No more kits please!

Ok...Around here, vets told me that 2 or 3 weeks was ok. One vet told me 4 weeks and as i wanted to be safer, and I believed that the longer the better, I wait 4 weeks ! I hope shes not pregnant again. I would have families for the babies (was prepared for more than one kit!) But it was lots of stress for the mother and for me. He shows no sexual interest at her. In fact, he show no sexual interest at all! No mounting behavior, no marking, no circling. Since I got them, I saw him try to mount her only once and it was before being neutered and she was growling at him (was pregnant at that time). A that time he was also marking and circling a lot. Since being neutered, he has change completly.

Hopefully not !!

It should be fine, six weeks is the err-on-side-of-caution threshold but in reality it's extremely unlikely that there will be active sperm still hanging around after a month. When I first got my bunnies back in the 1990s the general advice was 3 weeks after neutering and it's gradually extended over time as people get more and more cautious (and presumably as an occasional pregnancy does occur somehow!) If they were first back together after 4 weeks then it is extremely unlikely that she is pregnant again. Hope little Etoile continues to grow well with his parents looking after him nicely :)

Four weeks is safer than 2/3 weeks, and this is what the Rabbit Welfare Association recommends :thumb:

It used to be 2 weeks when I started with bunnies. I've never managed to find out why it's been creeping up.

I agree with Jane re the veggies by the way, the issue is sudden changes when young rabbits moving homes and change diets. When they grow up on what there parents eat they should be fine :)

It used to be 2 weeks when I started with bunnies. I've never managed to find out why it's been creeping up.

I agree with Jane re the veggies by the way, the issue is sudden changes when young rabbits moving homes and change diets. When they grow up on what there parents eat they should be fine :)

All this exceedingly good health care our buns get these days :lol:

Back