• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is Lucky moving his mouth when he's not eating?

Dental problems often affect the back teeth, so you wouldn't be able to see by watching him eat.

There is a good thread on symptoms of dental trouble here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287479

to be honest if the only thing is him moving his mouth around, I wouldn't worry - although it's always good practice to have their teeth looked at when they go for vaccs anyway, just in case. :)

Thank you that's helped.

No, he doesn't produce ceacals, they only produce those when they are short of fibre.
He eats plenty of grass and hay

As far as I'm aware they are produced to allow the rabbit to digest the food properly as it doesn't happen first time round so to speak.
My rabbits produce them and eat plenty of hay, so are not short of fibre.

He is doing it again!
Hes in the sitting position
He then put his head into his body near his willy like his was about to groom him self [I think he took another ceacal]?? Was it even a ceacal?
And then carried on chewing, is this the method they obtain the ceacal?

One of my buns looks like she's chewing gum when she has spurs growing on her molars, the only way to see them is by taking her to the vet:D If your bun does get a spur it can cause damage to the soft tissue in his mouth, which is like us having a mouth ulcer, he could then stop eating, which will bring other problems - I think you are doing the right thing taking him to the vet:D

He is doing it again!
He then put his head into his body near his willy like his was about to groom him self [I think he took another ceacal]?? Was it even a ceacal?

Yeah. It's how they eat them.
Straight out their bottoms! Lovely creatures but normal

One of my buns looks like she's chewing gum when she has spurs growing on her molars, the only way to see them is by taking her to the vet:D If your bun does get a spur it can cause damage to the soft tissue in his mouth, which is like us having a mouth ulcer, he could then stop eating, which will bring other problems - I think you are doing the right thing taking him to the vet:D

Should I take him on Monday?
I'll get his Myxi vacc done if he's fine.

He is doing it again!

Yeah he's probs eating them straight out his bum. :lol:

Last edited:
He is doing it again!

Yep, that's how rabbits eat ceacals! What he's doing sounds perfectly normal! However, if you are at all worried then take him to the vet to be checked out :wave:

Yep, that's how rabbits eat ceacals! What he's doing sounds perfectly normal! However, if you are at all worried then take him to the vet to be checked out :wave:

Glad thats the reason,
Im going to take him on the 25th for his vacc
I'll get them to check his teeth .

Thank you everyone :)

Back