• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Archie - odd breathing, but otherwise normal

Little update for you all. Archie has been much better until today. He just seemed off and his breathing seemed worse. I was worried I was just over thinking it. But sent the videos to the vet and he told me to bring him in.
Unfortunately the infection is back 😞 or it never quite went away. So we are back on baytril and metacam. They still can't get the other antibiotic, there's still a supply issue.
He said we are going to start with a higher dose this time and try to get in completely gone and may have to give meds for a longee time to make sure it's totally gone this time round.

Archie is not a happy boy, he hates the car, isn't keen on the vets and really hates baytril. Vet wants me to try to syringe the meds in, but I know in reality I won't get him to sit still. I feel like a bad bunny mum, but he is a wriggling nightmare.

Oh poor Archie, really hope the abx clear his infection up completely this time, and good luck with dreaded baytril, a treat straight after may help-hopefully !

Oh poor Archie, really hope the abx clear his infection up completely this time, and good luck with dreaded baytril, a treat straight after may help-hopefully !
Thanks Pets mum. He does already seem much better after a dose of metacam early afternoon, but the real difference has been after the baytril at the vets.. his nose has stopped flaring and he's relaxed more.

I can't remember but it began with an S
Septrin ?

Co-Trimoxazole is the same, the generic form and available. At least it’s available here (SW London)

Other options are Azithromycin AKA Zithromax or Depocillin, the latter by INJECTION ONLY. IME Baytril isn’t often that beneficial for severe LRTIs

aww poor Archie. Banana time though :LOL: I've seen Archie move on previous videos of yours, I wouldn't feel bad about not being able to medicate him. Lots of vibes for your little man, I hope the increased Baytril works for him

aww poor Archie. Banana time though :LOL: I've seen Archie move on previous videos of yours, I wouldn't feel bad about not being able to medicate him. Lots of vibes for your little man, I hope the increased Baytril works for him

I'm not sure how to quote you both.

Yes Jane that's the one, I'm sure. They said they've tried loads of suppliers. The only other one he said he uses is the injection one, but we didn't feel we were competent to do the injections ourselves.

Thanks Joey that's lovely that you remember Archies jumping and running antics. Haha. I have so far managed to get the baytril in with the syringe twice today. It was a tad stressful but we got there.

He's definitely improved on yesterday already, but still not right. We have to do a week of meds then report in with a video of how he's going. But I'm pretty sure he said we would need quite a few weeks of meds to make sure we get rid of it this time.

I am sorry Archie's infection is back and I hope the higher dose and longer treatment can fully eradicate this infection. These smaller bunnies can squirm quite a bit when they are determined to not take their icky med. Well done syringing the Baytril.
Sending lots of vibes Archie makes a quick and full recovery.

I am sorry Archie's infection is back and I hope the higher dose and longer treatment can fully eradicate this infection. These smaller bunnies can squirm quite a bit when they are determined to not take their icky med. Well done syringing the Baytril.
Sending lots of vibes Archie makes a quick and full recovery.

Morning bunny momma..you are up early! I just gave him his morning dose. He is currently cleaning the human stink off his fur. Lol 😆 he's getting wise to my plan of tricking him into being still with a treat so I can grab him. So had to chase him up and down the stairs a few times this morning.
Thanks for the vibes

Morning bunny momma..you are up early! I just gave him his morning dose. He is currently cleaning the human stink off his fur. Lol 😆 he's getting wise to my plan of tricking him into being still with a treat so I can grab him. So had to chase him up and down the stairs a few times this morning.
Thanks for the vibes
He always was speedy on the stairs! You will need a treat to regain your energy after that ordeal!😀.
My bunnies' fur smells very good, so I guess human stink is a no-no! After I groom my bunnies they have to wash too!

He always was speedy on the stairs! You will need a treat to regain your energy after that ordeal!😀.
My bunnies' fur smells very good, so I guess human stink is a no-no! After I groom my bunnies they have to wash too!
Yeah they both are super speedy on the stairs! Bunnies do smell so amazing don't they. I wish I smelt like a bunny. Hahaha

Back