• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Archie - odd breathing, but otherwise normal

Oh my gosh, that video. :love: He's certainly enjoying that! :ROFLMAO: That's really good news that the antibiotics seem to be working! Sending him more healing vibes!

hows Archie? ❤️
Hi. He's doing better thanks. His nostrils have stopped flaring and he's able to rest properly, we call this shutdown mode when their nose stops twitching. He wasn't able to do this last week.

He is still bobbing slightly and when he lies down I can see his lungs are worked harder, but not as bad as last weekend.

He did binkies this morning and was buzzing at Pip, so he's def more lively and feeling himself.

He's going back to vets after work tomorrow to see how he is, I guess we may need to take the baytril for longer, to make sure it's properly cleared up.

I can also confirm he does not like Aldi bananas 😆, had to get my friend bring him so Co op ones.

I've also enjoyed having the heating on more, didn't want him getting cold cos it's been so damp this winter!

Hi. He's doing better thanks. His nostrils have stopped flaring and he's able to rest properly, we call this shutdown mode when their nose stops twitching. He wasn't able to do this last week.

He is still bobbing slightly and when he lies down I can see his lungs are worked harder, but not as bad as last weekend.

He did binkies this morning and was buzzing at Pip, so he's def more lively and feeling himself.

He's going back to vets after work tomorrow to see how he is, I guess we may need to take the baytril for longer, to make sure it's properly cleared up.

I can also confirm he does not like Aldi bananas 😆, had to get my friend bring him so Co op ones.

I've also enjoyed having the heating on more, didn't want him getting cold cos it's been so damp this winter!
what a nice update :love: fancy feeding a lord banana from Aldi:love:, pleased you got him some better ones. Eddy won't eat chopped kale from Aldi but will tolerate from Sainsbury

hows Archie? ❤️

what a nice update :love: fancy feeding a lord banana from Aldi:love:, pleased you got him some better ones. Eddy won't eat chopped kale from Aldi but will tolerate from Sainsbury

I know I don't normally shop there, but Tesco hasn't even got 1 banana. So weird shortage thing. 😆. So Aldi was the nearest place I could get bananas. Bloody fussy buns.

I am glad Archie is doing well and he is taking his meds on the bananna. Of course it is the one item you cannot find in the store.😁.
Archie knows he is very cute!

You are right about fussy bunnies! My nethie, Raven, has me going to multiple stores to buy dandelion greens!

Sending vibes Archie continues to do well.

I'm glad little Archie's doing better. 🥰 Nice of him to keep people running around getting him the right bananas. 😄 I hope his vet visit goes well today and that he'll continue to improve.

Thanks all just preparing myself for the fun of getting 2 nethies in a pet carrier at the same time! Haha. Last time Pip tried to climb up a wall. How do you insert photos I used to be able to but now it doesn't work. In guessing they are too large but I can't find how to resize them on my phone. 😞

Last edited:
Back from the vets and somebun is still sulking about it. He's def better just a small crackle on his chest so nerd to do another week of meds to make sure it's properly gone. He was doing a very good impression of a blob fish at the vets. Totally melted into thr table and fluff went everywhere cos he's having a mega moult.
Won't eat his banana yet because he's a stubborn nethie. 😒

Well he's obviously feeling better. He won't eat anything that I put the baytril into. 😭 I even bought some banana baby food and nope he can smell the baytril.

I'm glad Archie's doing much better and just has a small crackle in his chest now. I would've liked seeing blobfish Archie. I'm sorry he's not cooperating with the next week of Baytril, though! Aww, I hope you can find something so yummy that it can trick him into taking his Baytril. If only all medication was as tasty as Metacam.

I'd love to see photos of your nethie duo, so I hope you can figure out how to insert them. Does nothing happen when you click on the image icon and then click on the 'Drop image (Or click here)' and select a photo?

ohhh Archie, too clever for his own good. Come on boy, its just one more week.

Do you have any fenugreek powder - that has a strong smell that bunnies seem to love, I was wondering if that might disguise the smell now he is wise to banana tricks

Here is the little monkey after refusing his nana. I managed to get him yo eat it this morning on a excel treat. One of the herby heart ones. He loves those.
1000041446.jpg

Hi Everyone. I'm a bit worried Archie isn't getting better. I noticed last night his breathing still seems laboured. The vet said on Monday they was def less crackle on his lungs so I presumed by now he'd be all better. However he's still head bobbing and his chest is moving more than it should. It will be 14days of baytril tonight (except for 1 dose that he point blank refused to eat when we came back from the vets on Monday). It was really stressing him so I gave in that night. I also stopped giving him the metacam for 4 nights because he had seemed better and didn't appear to be in any pain. Also I presumed it was more important to get the antibiotics in and convincing him to eat the baytril was challenging.

I did give him metacam last night but it didn't appear to make any visual difference.
I'm going to phone the vet tomorrow and see what they say. Unfortunately I have a damn warning light on my car 😤. So that's not ideal either, I can see if my folks can take me in their car I think.

Can baytril take this long work or do you think they will give a different antibiotic?

The vet was so pleased with his progress on Monday and so were we. He hates going there, so I don't know know if the stress of second visit has caused him a set back. Or its because I missed that 1 dose of baytril. Feeling like a bad bunny mommy and I just want him better.

Has he had a chest X-ray ?

If 2 weeks of Baytril haven’t helped then a change of abx is probably needed. IME Baytril alone is seldom helpful for LRTIs. Other options could include Co-trimoxazole, Azithromycin, Oxytetracyline, Penicillin BY INJECTION ONLY.

Has he had a chest X-ray ?

If 2 weeks of Baytril haven’t helped then a change of abx is probably needed. IME Baytril alone is seldom helpful for LRTIs. Other options could include Co-trimoxazole, Azithromycin, Oxytetracyline, Penicillin BY INJECTION ONLY.

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the info. No they didn't do any chest x Ray, but said they'd do more work if the baytril didn't clear it. I'll update you tomorrow after I've spoken to the vets. He's resting and seems himself. Eg grumpy at me for fussing him.

I don't have any advice, but just wanted to send Archie more vibes. ❤️ I'm sorry the Baytril isn't helping as much as it should. I hope the vets will be helpful tomorrow, and that you can find a solution to the car situation.

Back