• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Archie - odd breathing, but otherwise normal

Sorry you have to worry about your car when you are already stressed about Archie. I do not think missing one dose would cause a dramatic change. He was improving and you restarted it quickly. Another abx may be more appropriate for his LRTI.
Sending vibes your vet can prescribe a more suitable abx for Archie.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Back from the vets. She had a listen to his lungs and said there was only a small crackle there. So that's good, because I was worried he'd gone back to square one. She said that although his breathing is not normal still, (I showed him a video of him at home, because he always turns into a mega stressed rabbit at the vets). She said we've caught it in very early stages and she's happy because he's acting himself, buzzing around Pip and generally doing what a bunny should. E.g currently chewing on his castle cos he is annoyed with me.

Unfortunately we can't change his antibiotics because they cant get hold of the other one they would normally swap too. 😞 . She didnt feel it was a good idea to do xrays etc and would be unnecessary at this point.

I must admit to anyone else he would look like a healthy rabbit, it's just because we spend so much time with him that we know he isn't quite right. Hope that makes sense. He just looks like a bunny that's been running around at speed for a while.

I've ordered some echincea leaves to help boost his immunity. He used to have them every day but been finding it really hard to get dried forage for months.

They've doubled his dosage to 0.4 of endocare and 3kg dose of Metacam twice a day. Does that seem right for a 1kg bun? It always seems to much to me, cos he's so teeny.

Metacam can be given in quite big doses to rabbits as they metabolise it so quickly. That's the top end of what FHB used to recommend (years ago). Assuming it's the dog version.

I would check that Metacam dose. Perhaps it should be 0.3 ml? Twice a day. Sending him lots of vibes.

Metacam can be given in quite big doses to rabbits as they metabolise it so quickly. That's the top end of what FHB used to recommend (years ago). Assuming it's the dog version.

It's the dog version and the vet label says a 3kg dose, which is 3 lines on the syringe. It's a teeny amount of liquid about 3 drops I'd say.

I wouldn't be worried about the dose rate you have been told, assuming there are no organ issues and he's eating normally. The top end doses are not usually long term so it may need reviewing in the near future.

I wouldn't be worried about the dose rate you have been told, assuming there are no organ issues and he's eating normally. The top end doses are not usually long term so it may need reviewing in the near future.
Yes. He's eating normally.

Hi Everyone. Sorry for the delay in the update. It's been a hectic few weeks. We ended up having to rush Archie in for a dental, because he suddenly stopped eating. He had a few spurs inside his lower jaw. It was a worry with his breathing issues but the vets are fab and his oxygen levels were at 100% the whole time. They did a free xray whilst he was out.
The Xrays weren't very clear. He said there's either some scarring from the infection left over or the lungs are a bit consolidated. Or it's just a bad xray. Which is why it was free.
We took him back for his post teeth checkup and the vet was pleased to see his breathing has calmed, but it's still not normal. So we believe this is his new normal.
He's got his appetite back and is zooming around jumping on stuff and acting like normal loony.
I've sent a video today to the vet to sign him off, so waiting to see what he says.
He said there is no point in stressing him out by constant vet visits, when he is happy in himself.

Attachments

• 20240408_194944.jpg
    20240408_194944.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 7
Vet had cautiously signed him off. So no medicine now. Just have to keep my beady eye on him. He's inspecting the new sofa today. Lol

Attachments

• 20240411_093104.jpg
    20240411_093104.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 1
I'm sorry Archie suddenly needed a dental, but I'm glad it all went well. That's so great that he has his appetite back and is zooming around. 😍 He's such a little cutie.

It is so good to read that Archie is coming around after his dental. His eyes are very bright and he is very handsome. Well done!

Last edited:
Back