• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes U/D 1/6 Wilson - enjoying time with Alice in the sunshine

Cultures will tell you which bacteria you are dealing with and which Abx are appropriate to use.I find ceporex is a good one fof abscesses as its one of the only abx which penetrates tissue

Cultures will tell you which bacteria you are dealing with and which Abx are appropriate to use.I find ceporex is a good one fof abscesses as its one of the only abx which penetrates tissue

That's great, thanks Sarah - I'll talk to our vet on Friday about to suggest this may be the way we want to go with Ollie's abscess.

Poor Ollie has just come back from having to have another operation

Well just when we thought we were moving in the right direction with all 3 of our little lads, fate comes & gives us another kick in the teeth! :cry:

When I checked on Ollie first thing this morning, our wee lad had pulled out the rest of his stitches following on from where Jane had released 1 to let pus out :cry: He was left with a big hole in his tummy, so off we went back to the vets :?

I've just picked him up & Jane has had to do another operation on him, as he was still not using 1 of his back legs properly - he no longer had any infection from his original op, but it appears that the muscle inside his groin had healed wrong :? So he now has a bigger wound than ever down his tummy & down his right back leg - as well as a drain that Jane has put in just in case any infection starts up again.

Poor Ollie is very sore, but has had lots of pain relief to help him & needs to go back tomorrow to be checked & given more pain relief if necessary. I've left him in his carry box for the time being with loads of fresh grass & pellets - which thankfully he is munching away on :) Just hoping we start to see lots of nice poo soon ;)

We'd be really grateful if Ollie could have some vibes please to help him get over his latest op.

Wilson on the other hand is determined to prove to us that he is going to get better from this & even pushed Alice away from their dish of pellets this morning so he could get to them first! :shock: He's eating hay like it's going out of fashion & drinking really well. He did have another rolling episode in the middle of the night, but nothing today - I just hope that he continues to do well. Any more vibes for Wilson would be really appreciated.

And finally our old boy Arthur is still the same & happily living his own bachelor life now with Betsy still separated from him :?

It's been a good job I've been on leave this week, seeing as I've been at the vets everyday :roll: I couldn't have fit work in this week :?

Sending more vibes for all of them, but a special nose rub for poor ole Ollie.

They are certainly keeping you on your toes. I'm full of admiration for anyone who can taken on more than the four I have - I'd be a nervous wreck with all that going on

Awww, poor Ollie. That sounds very sore. Sending him lots of vibes. xxx It's good to hear that Wilson is on the mend. :love::love:

Ouch poor Ollie :cry:
Lots of healing vibes for him.

I am so pleased that Wilson is doing a bit better and here's hoping he continues to show signs of improvement.

Lots of snuggles for old boy Arthur :)

xx

Oh Denise i'm so sorry to hear poor Ollie has had to have another op, i really don't know what is going on lately :cry: Sending loads of vibes for him xxx

oh my:shock::shock:

im really glad things seem to be improving..what a dilemma!:shock::(

poor ollie....i hope he responds asap to treatment.

wilson..doesnt want to give up on life just yet..and ole boy arthur is just having too much fun being a free and easy fella again.

healing vibes for them all.....and lots of cuddles and nosey rubs too xxxxxx

and calming stress hugs for you! xx

Thanks again everyone, I feel so stressed with everything that's happening with our bunnies at the moment - I'm just so relieved I've not been in work.

I think I spoke to soon about Wilson :cry: I;ve just given him an injection of penicillin & as soon as I'd done it he went on to have 3 rolling episodes within 10 minutes :cry::cry::cry: He now looks so stressed by these, I really don't know if he can stand many more of them.

Each time he has one, I have to help him back upright. I'm so worried about what will happen when I go back to work next week after the bank holiday - what happens if he has one & I'm not here to help him? I watching him like a hawk when I'm with him, but know I can't be with him 24/7 - I just don't know what to think now for the best :cry:

Ollie is laid quitely in his cage now after having his tea - still no poo yet, but at least he's eaten - so hope it won't be too long before we got poos :?

Oh no sorry to hear Wilson has had more rolling episodes, i really hoped that would be the end of it now for both of you.
Sending poo vibes for Ollie and hugs for you xx

Awww, I'm sorry to hear Wilson has had a little setback, bless him. :( Hopefully by the time you have to go back to work he will have picked up a bit and you'll feel more at ease about leaving him. xxx

Thanks again everyone, well last night after I logged off RU was awful. Our poor Wilson started having a rolling episode last night about 10pm & has only just been able to get upright about a hour ago. I ended up sleeping with him to try to comfort him & to try to stop him from continuouly rolling about :cry: I thought several times during the night he was just going to slip away, but somehow bless him he's managed to hang on.

He's now sat with Alice washing himself, after eating some hay & carrot - I know things with EC are very unpredictable, but I really don't know what to think anymore :?

I obviously don't want to give up on him if he still wants to fight, but neither do I want him to suffer & I think the rolling episodes are so stressful for him :cry:

I just want to make sure we're doing the best for him & the right thing.

Any thoughts guys on what you would do in my situation would be appreciated please?

To update you on Ollie, we've had no poo overnight although he has eaten all his veggies, grass & dandelions :? We're back at the vets at 9am, so hope when he's had another gut stimulant, he gets pooing again - fingers crossed.

I have never dealt with an EC bunny Denise but I want you to know I'm thinking of you and sending massive vibes Wilson and Ollie's way

Thanks again everyone, well last night after I logged off RU was awful. Our poor Wilson started having a rolling episode last night about 10pm & has only just been able to get upright about a hour ago. I ended up sleeping with him to try to comfort him & to try to stop him from continuouly rolling about :cry: I thought several times during the night he was just going to slip away, but somehow bless him he's managed to hang on.

He's now sat with Alice washing himself, after eating some hay & carrot - I know things with EC are very unpredictable, but I really don't know what to think anymore :?

I obviously don't want to give up on him if he still wants to fight, but neither do I want him to suffer & I think the rolling episodes are so stressful for him :cry:

I just want to make sure we're doing the best for him & the right thing.

Any thoughts guys on what you would do in my situation would be appreciated please?

To update you on Ollie, we've had no poo overnight although he has eaten all his veggies, grass & dandelions :? We're back at the vets at 9am, so hope when he's had another gut stimulant, he gets pooing again - fingers crossed.

Oh Denise :cry:

I am sorry not to remember but did you say Wilson has had a Steroid Injection ? If not this may well be a good idea along with abx cover if he's not already on abx.

If he has had a steroid injection when was is given ? If the rolling has returned the steroid may have worn off and depending on what was given he could have another one.

Have you tried the Stemetil yet ?

I have never dealt with an EC bunny Denise but I want you to know I'm thinking of you and sending massive vibes Wilson and Ollie's way

Thanks Sarah I really appreciate it, I feel so stressed at the moment I just don't know what happens next :cry:

Oh Denise :cry:

I am sorry not to remember but did you say Wilson has had a Steroid Injection ? If not this may well be a good idea along with abx cover if he's not already on abx.

If he has had a steroid injection when was is given ? If the rolling has returned the steroid may have worn off and depending on what was given he could have another one.

Have you tried the Stemitil yet ?

Hi Jane, Wilson had just his penicillin injection last night which ended up with him having 3 rolling episodes in about 15 mins. When he then started to have the next one I give him some metaclopromide that our vet had given me, as she told me that this helps with the motion sickness. I did also try to give him a steroid injection - but the steroid came out of the vile before I could inject it, as I was trying to pull the top off:? Although he had had steroid injections Tues & Weds.

I discussed Stemitil with our vet again & for the moment, we decided not to try it because it comes in tablet form & we think Wilson will freak if I try to get a tablet down him :cry: Although maybe now we don't have any other option.

I'm going to ask for more injections this morning to take us over the weekend, in the hope that we don't need to go to the emergency vet - as I have no faith in them :?

I just wish he could talk to me to tell me how he feels & what he wants me to do :cry:

Hi Jane, Wilson had just his penicillin injection last night which ended up with him having 3 rolling episodes in about 15 mins. When he then started to have the next one I give him some metaclopromide that our vet had given me, as she told me that this helps with the motion sickness. I did also try to give him a steroid injection - but the steroid came out of the vile before I could inject it, as I was trying to pull the top off:? Although he had had steroid injections Tues & Weds.

I discussed Stemitil with our vet again & for the moment, we decided not to try it because it comes in tablet form & we think Wilson will freak if I try to get a tablet down him :cry: Although maybe now we don't have any other option.

I'm going to ask for more injections this morning to take us over the weekend, in the hope that we don't need to go to the emergency vet - as I have no faith in them :?

I just wish he could talk to me to tell me how he feels & what he wants me to do :cry:

You can get Stemetil in liquid form :)

I have just read on a Vet site that abx coverage for 'Rolling Rabbits' needs to cover gram positive, gram negative and anaerobic bacteria. Here is an extract from the article

It is assumed in many cases that a bacterial infection in the middle or inner ear or of CN 8 is responsible for this disorder. Therefore, coverage with antibiotics is warranted. It is best to use broad spectrum coverage: antibiotics that are effective against gram positives, gram negatives, and anaerobes. A combination such as injectable penicillin and a quinolone has much merit. So does the use of a trimethoprin sulfa antibiotic along with metronidazole. The use of antihistamines, such as meclizine, has been advocated. It is not known if this is effective in rabbits with this disorder but side effects appear to be minimal. Finally, it may be necessary to use ophthalmic medication. If there is corneal disruption, medication will be needed to treat that wound. Even if the cornea is intact, usually, these rabbits are left with a head tilt and it may be important to keep that eye moist.

So maybe using Baytril ASWELL as Depocillin .... :?

Or changing over to Septrin and Metronidazole :?

Golly Denise you are going through a rough patch aren't you....sending hugs and lots of vibes.

I've only had one bunny with EC , Jack , but he wasn't as bad as Wilson is , he only had rolling episodes in the first few days and then picked up.

I do hope he improves soon.x

Back