• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teary eye and dental problems =(

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
My dad took Casper to the vets today because his eye has been teary since Tuesday evening. It's the same eye as in November. The vet gave us some eye cream (it helped last time, but she said he might need it long term now), and she called me later to discuss and said that it seems like his tooth root(s) is blocking his tear duct. He also has molar spurs. :( So, he needs a dental to remove the spurs, which will also take some of the pressure of his tear duct, hopefully. Since he's still eating well the vet said we can wait until he has trouble eating, to give him more time between dentals, but in the past he's kept eating until he had a big wound on his tongue, so I worry about that happening again, and I think it's best to do the dental now that he's in good shape, rather than doing it when he's stopped eating and unwell. So, he has his dental next Wednesday, and they'll take an x-ray to see which root it is that's pressing on his tear duct, to see if it's possible to remove the tooth. I do find the thought of them removing the tooth scary, as that's more invasive than just removing the spurs, so I'll ask if they'll call me beforehand if they plan on doing so.

His last dental was in September, so they're not as regular as they've been in the past, thankfully. And he made it through that one okay, though it took him a long, long time to start eating properly again, but we never did find out if he had trouble eating back then because of dental pain or gut problems, so it might not have been related to the GA. The vet did say several times that it's risky because he's 10, but I don't see another way around it. If we don't do a dental he'll get too sore to eat. It does scare me, though, and it worries me that his roots are continuing to be pushed further and are causing more trouble. I asked the vet if there was something that could be done to make the GA safer, but then we got onto a different subject, so she never got around to answering. Does anyone know? I know blood tests can be done to see if he's in good enough shape for it, but I suppose it wouldn't change anything, since he does need the dental either way.

Thankfully, Casper seems to be feeling well. He's been binkying a lot, and he's still eating the same as normal, coming up to beg for treats the second I sit down in their room. I just worry about the future, since his roots will just get worse. :(

You and I think alike about wanting to not wait for a dental, especially after six month since his prior one and to do before not eating causes gi issues.
My Raven took long to recover from dentals and eat on his own , so vet changed drug protocols and pain meds and he eats greens and some hay much sooner.
Though lenth of procedure could be a factor. Blood work may be useful if x-ray indicates they will pull tooth since he would be under ga longer. Though perhaps treat teary eye medically before pulling teeth? It helped in past without tooth pulled so ???

Last edited:
No advice really but sending lots of vibes for lovely Casper xx I was tempted to ask for bloods before Jake (7) dental as he's a bit on the skinny side but I didn't, bloods would show up possible anaemia, liver/kidney problems so could be a good shout? Although most vets would have them on fluids anyway before and after which relieves some strain on the kidneys, but worth checking?

I would also favour doing the dental sooner rather than later. It seems logical to me that doing the op while he is still eating well and not displaying signs of pain is a better plan. No further advice about the dental than has already been given i.e. fluids, possible blood tests and assessing drug protocols.

Sending the lovely lad lots of vibes.

Oh I am sorry that little Casper needs a dental :( He's done great lasting so long & I'm pleased to hear having his molar spurs might have a positive impact on how his tooth roots feel. Its always overwhelming & scary when vets talk through the prognosis based on investigations but they underestimate your boy.

I was always of the opinion why do bloods because they will have the GA anyway (I agree, not much choice but to go ahead & better to do it while he is otherwise well). However... when Rudey had kidney problems I noticed everything is prescribed at lower doses compared to my vets usual prescribing routine. I asked my vet what would happen if Rudey needed dental & apparently they would use less anaesthetic too.

Lots of vibes for lovely Casper

Personally I would not opt for molar extraction unless the tooth is already lose, especially for a 10 year old Rabbit.Molar extractions are far more complicated and risky than Incisor extractions, jaw fractures can occur if the molar is not already very lose. If tooth roots are elongated shortening and reshaping the crowns of the molars can slow progression, although not cure the problem.

A Rabbit Savvy Vet will tailor a GA drug protocol according to the individual Rabbit, I would opt for pre op bloods

IV fluids aid recovery from a GA

Sending lots of vibes for Casper.

Thank you so much for the advice and the vibes, everyone. :love: I really appreciate it. It's good to hear that I'm not alone in thinking it's best to do the dental while he's still in good shape, rather than waiting until he's not eating.

After reading your replies, I called the vets this morning and discussed the bloodwork, and they say we can do it, but that the results wouldn't change anything about the dental itself, or the anaesthetic, and it would be extra stress because he'd need to go to the vets today to have his blood drawn as they need to send it to the lab and the results take a few days, and he already went yesterday, and then he'd have to go on Wednesday, too. So, we agreed that it would be best to still have his bloodwork done to check if everything's okay, but we'll do it on Wednesday when he's already there, and then we'll have the results a few days later, since it wouldn't affect the dental anyway. I think that's best. Going to the vet three times in one week would be a lot, and he's an anxious bunny. He's still stressed from yesterday, poor boy.

Also, bunny momma, you're absolutely right that we should see if the eye drops work before even thinking about pulling the tooth. Hopefully they'll work like last time and nothing else will be needed.

And, Liz, I wish I had asked about the fluids when I was on the phone just now with them, but I forgot. I'll try to remember to ask them about it on Wednesday.

J&B, that's interesting that Rudey would've had less anaesthetic if he'd needed a dental because of his kidney problems. That seems to go against what they've just told me... Last time he had a dental, though, they said they'd used less anaesthetic and that that worked fine for him, so I think they're already being careful with it, which is maybe why the results wouldn't affect it.

And, IM, I don't like the idea of removing a tooth, either, especially after seeing how hard it was on Tom when he had some removed because of his abscess. If it's already loose it's a different story, but last time they checked none of his molars were loose, so that's probably not the case.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about Casper's teeth causing more trouble. Sending lots of vibes for him x

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Yes that makes sense, they know Casper well & will know how exactly much GA he needs already. From his appearance & activity levels he seems a really healthy bunny in spite of his age & I believe that is hugely significant. Nice to avoid another stressy vet trip & having the bloods taken itself isn't the nicest I imagine. Better he enjoys some pre-op time eating well & enjoying life with Sophie :love:

Sorry to hear about Casper's teeth causing more trouble. Sending lots of vibes for him x

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
Thank you for caring about Casper and sending him vibes. :love:

Yes that makes sense, they know Casper well & will know how exactly much GA he needs already. From his appearance & activity levels he seems a really healthy bunny in spite of his age & I believe that is hugely significant. Nice to avoid another stressy vet trip & having the bloods taken itself isn't the nicest I imagine. Better he enjoys some pre-op time eating well & enjoying life with Sophie :love:
I'm glad you think that makes sense. He is in pretty good shape for his age, you're right, so I hope that helps. He doesn't enjoy having his blood drawn, no, so I'll ask them if they can do it when he's already under GA. It's better to avoid unnecessary stress, I think. He's such a stressy bunny already, so I agree that it's better for him to have some easy days with Sophie before his dental. :love:

Look at his poor face. :(

G51jafWh.jpg

He's hates being held, so it's not easy to keep it dry. :(

Oh bless him, so sorry to hear about his problem. I hope the dental will take some pressure of the tooth root. I had two dental bunnies, so I can appreciate the worry involved. Lots of vibes for your boy xxx

Aww bless him, I can't keep Ferns eye dry either but luckily the skin has not got sore. Sending more vibes xx

Ah dearr I'm just reading this and I'm sorry. I send so many vibrations for him :( xxxxxxxx

When he is having GA you may want to see if they could try to flush his tear duct in case there may be debris blocking it.
Sending vibes.

Thank you so much for your replies, everyone. :love: I'm really sorry I haven't been able to reply. I haven't been feeling well at all.

I want to share, though, that Casper's face is dry today. :D

Thank you so much for your replies, everyone. :love: I'm really sorry I haven't been able to reply. I haven't been feeling well at all.

I want to share, though, that Casper's face is dry today. :D

Yay! great news, the cream must be working its magic. I really hope you feel better soon

Sorry you are not feeling well, yet you must be glad his eye is dry. Sending vibes it will stay that way. I hope you feel better too

Back