• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rupert's eye

Rupert is lucky to have you and Lilac. She sounds very dedicated to him.
It is remarkable how well he is recovering from his op. Sending more positive vibes for Rupert, you and Lilac.
I'm still checking on him overnight to make sure he's okay and eating. He's not eating hard food like his pellets so I imagine there must be a bit of discomfort there, and he's not eating as much hay as I'd like compared to normal but hopefully he'll get there soon.

I'm still checking on him overnight to make sure he's okay and eating. He's not eating hard food like his pellets so I imagine there must be a bit of discomfort there, and he's not eating as much hay as I'd like compared to normal but hopefully he'll get there soon.

It’s still early days. As long as he is eating something and having a reasonable output then I wouldn’t get too concerned. I expect once the soreness from the surgery resolves he will feel so much better without the painful eye. Mr Bean was like a different rabbit once he had his eye removed and he’d recovered from the op’. So much more active and with his spark back x

It’s still early days. As long as he is eating something and having a reasonable output then I wouldn’t get too concerned. I expect once the soreness from the surgery resolves he will feel so much better without the painful eye. Mr Bean was like a different rabbit once he had his eye removed and he’d recovered from the op’. So much more active and with his spark back x
Yeah I think he's doing remarkably well all things considered! He had a bit of a sploof yesterday which I haven't seen him do for a while so I'll take that as a good sign.

Lilac was waiting outside his pen again this morning, she still tried to lick the wound occasionally so I can't leave her with him unsupervised but they seem to be coping.

Rupert had a post-op check today and all is healing really well. He has lost some weight but I'm not surprised as he wasn't eating as much for a couple of days. Other than that the Vet was really happy with him. Another post-op check in a week and hopefully that'll be him discharged!

He's also been honking this morning which he hasn't done for a few years so looks like spring fever has hit lol.

Rupert had a post-op check today and all is healing really well. He has lost some weight but I'm not surprised as he wasn't eating as much for a couple of days. Other than that the Vet was really happy with him. Another post-op check in a week and hopefully that'll be him discharged!

He's also been honking this morning which he hasn't done for a few years so looks like spring fever has hit lol.

Well done Rupert 😀❤️

It is good to know Rupert is healing well and is acting like his younger self again. Sending vibes his appointment next week also goes well!❤❤

Today is my first day back at work since his op, letting him have some quality time with Lilac before I leave and have to separate them. Going to set up my pet cam so I can watch him, not that I'm expecting to see anything particularly interesting!

That's such good news that he's healing so well. I hope the vet will be really happy with him next week, too. How cute that he's been honking. ❤️ I hope everything will be fine while you return to work.

Rupert has just come home from his final checkup at the vet and has been fully discharged 😃 vet is happy with how his wound is healing and he's doing well. I've let him out of his pen for the first time today since his op, he has lost his bearings somewhat but he's pottering around slowly getting back to normal.

Rupert has just come home from his final checkup at the vet and has been fully discharged 😃 vet is happy with how his wound is healing and he's doing well. I've let him out of his pen for the first time today since his op, he has lost his bearings somewhat but he's pottering around slowly getting back to normal.
Dos that me the buns are reunited full time now? 😍

Weird situation occurred at the vet, I sat down next to a young woman with a cat and she asked if I had a rabbit, when I said yes she told me to move because she is allergic and will go into anaphylaxis just from being near one.

I did move but I was thinking surely if you were that allergic to rabbits you'd be in mortal danger just from being inside a vet surgery...

Weird situation occurred at the vet, I sat down next to a young woman with a cat and she asked if I had a rabbit, when I said yes she told me to move because she is allergic and will go into anaphylaxis just from being near one.

I did move but I was thinking surely if you were that allergic to rabbits you'd be in mortal danger just from being inside a vet surgery...
yeah a vets reception has to be the worst possible place for her, surprised she wasnt outside waiting to be called in

Back