• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rupert's eye

I am glad to read Rupert has recovered well from his op. Well done Rupert! I bet Lily is glad to have him with her too.
The lady at the vet with severe allergies to bunnies sounds strange.

I'm glad Rupert's final check up went well, yay! I'm glad he's adjusting to the loss of his eye and slowly getting back to normal, too, and that he and Lilac are fully reunited again. He's coped so well with his surgery. What a brave boy. ❤️

He has been circling a lot when he's walking around since I let him out of his pen. Considering he's blind in his remaining eye I'm not entirely sure what's causing this but it's almost like he's trying to get his bearings sometimes.

He has been circling a lot when he's walking around since I let him out of his pen. Considering he's blind in his remaining eye I'm not entirely sure what's causing this but it's almost like he's trying to get his bearings sometimes.

Is he at all wobbly on his feet ? Any sign of a slight head tilt or nystagmus in his remaining eye?

Oh, I'm sorry Rupert's been circling so much. Sending him a lot of vibes. I hope you can find out why he's doing that, or better yet, that he'll stop doing it...

Is he at all wobbly on his feet ? Any sign of a slight head tilt or nystagmus in his remaining eye?
He's not wobbly or showing signs of hesd tilt/nystagmus that I can see. Is that something that is known to happen with one ryed bunnies? He just seems like he's lost and trying to work out where he is. It's not all the time either, sometimes he's absolutely fine but when he does start circling he does it for a while.

I'm not sure if maybe he could see a bit of light and dark in the eye that was removed and he's struggling to adjust?

He's not wobbly or showing signs of hesd tilt/nystagmus that I can see. Is that something that is known to happen with one ryed bunnies? He just seems like he's lost and trying to work out where he is. It's not all the time either, sometimes he's absolutely fine but when he does start circling he does it for a while.

I'm not sure if maybe he could see a bit of light and dark in the eye that was removed and he's struggling to adjust?

I was thinking more along the lines of the circling being a sign of vestibular disturbance rather than a vision problem.

If he did have a small amount of sight in the diseased eye then the circling might be due to him being a bit disorientated because he now only has visual stimuli via one eye.

Can you post a video of him when he’s circling ?

I was thinking more along the lines of the circling being a sign of vestibular disturbance rather than a vision problem.

If he did have a small amount of sight in the diseased eye then the circling might be due to him being a bit disorientated because he now only has visual stimuli via one eye.

Can you post a video of him when he’s circling ?
I'll try and get a video later, I'm at work all day today until quite late but I'm sure I can work it out at some point. It doesn't feel the same as when I had Teddy with his head tilt, his circles are larger and balance not an issue, but will get a video when I can.

I haven't been able to get a video unfortunately, I was at work all day yesterday until 9pm, when I got home both buns were in "their" room just chilling out and they've been there ever since while I've been sleeping/working in a different room! Had another long day today, but I bought Rupert into my lounge just now and he's actually not circling this evening, so hopefully it is lessening. If he does do it for a period of time I'll try and capture it on video.

Back