• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rupert's eye

Thanks all. I got up three times during the night to check on him and gave him critical care and some other food, which he wolfed down. He's eaten this morning as well. His output is smaller than normal but he's definitely passing poo. He's due at the vet in an hour for admission so I'll let them know how he's been over the past two days. Fingers crossed it can go ahead today.

Thanks all. I got up three times during the night to check on him and gave him critical care and some other food, which he wolfed down. He's eaten this morning as well. His output is smaller than normal but he's definitely passing poo. He's due at the vet in an hour for admission so I'll let them know how he's been over the past two days. Fingers crossed it can go ahead today.
Everything crossed for you 💚

Gosh, poor Rupert. I'm glad he's eating better now and passing poo. I hope he can have his procedure today and that it will go well. Sending him so, so many vibes.

Well my little man is home, minus his eye. He coped well with the anaesthetic and doesn't seem too groggy considering. I've set up a pen that I plan to keep him in for the foreseeable future, Lilac is in there with him but am unsure whether to keep them together overnight just in case she decides to lick his wound.

I am glad to read he was was eating better this morning an ed passed poo so he could have his op thanks to your dedication and attention.
It made me happy to learn his op went well and he is home with you and Lilac. Sending millions of vibes that he will make a quick recovery.

Thank you both. He's not had too much to eat this evening, a little critical care and some porridge oats, but he's passed a little poo and had a drink.

I just saw Lilac licking his eye and he moved away instantly. I was thinking of keeping her out of the pen overnight as she sometimes has a habit of chasing him and trying to hump him (she is neutered) and I'm a bit worried she might do that and inadvertently injure him. She also keeps stealing his food!

Sending lots of vibes for Rupert's recovery. Even if his wound isn't causing him pain, I imagine it must feel strange.

I won't attach any pics as it's a bit gruesome but the wound itself is clean. I got up a few times during the night to check on him and give him some critical care. He's just started eating hay by himself now so fingers crossed he's feeling more like himself again. I'm knackered though!

I forgot to add Lilac was constantly trying to clean the eye last night so I had to make the decision to keep her out of the pen, I've put her back in this morning and she's right back to it. I know she means no harm but I think their time together will have to be supervised for the time being.

He is so lucky to have such a dedicated human. I hope he eats more today so you can skip an overnight syringe feed get some needed rest.

That's unfortunate that you've had to separate them, but it sounds for the best if she keeps licking his wound. I'm glad Rupert's started eating some hay. I hope that means he's starting to recover. Sending him lots more vibes. I hope you can get some rest soon!

At the moment, it's important to make sure that he's eating / weeing / pooing normally, so being separate for a couple of days won't be a bad thing as it's easier to keep an eye on what's going in and out, and give the wound a bit of time to heal.

Thanks for all of Rupert's well wishes, he is a very lucky boy to have so many people looking out for him! He's pretty much back to normal now, munching his hay and his veg, just a little fussy with a couple of other bits but I'm not too concerned. Poo looks good as well. I'm letting Lilac be with him when I'm around to supervise, I just went out for a few hours and took her out of the pen, when I came back she was sitting waiting for him by the gate bless her.

❤️ so pleased to hear your boy got through his op well, what a brave soldier. Great to hear his poops are good & he's eating pretty normally. Isn't Lilac a caring soul too.

Rupert is lucky to have you and Lilac. She sounds very dedicated to him.
It is remarkable how well he is recovering from his op. Sending more positive vibes for Rupert, you and Lilac.

Back