• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden glued shut eye with glazed look, please help!

Before anybody panics too much, I'll point out I've cancelled my plans today and am making a vet appointment for today as soon as it's open this morning.

His name is Henry. He's had an ongoing problem with excessive discharge, basically he just gets a bit of crust below his tear ducts probably about 2-3 times a week which I swipe off easily in one go. Hes had a recurring runny nose too over the years, which multiple vets have identified as pasteurella but we successfully treated his last episode a few weeks ago. The eye discharge never builds up to a point where it interferes with his wellbeing or his eye is getting stuck or anything of the sort, so to open the hutch and see this this morning was a real shock.

Luckily since it had happened overnight, the mucus was still damp and was surprisingly easy to remove, but once I got his eye open it looked somewhat glazed. The other eye is completely normal with no discharge, and his runny nose hasn't returned. His behaviour seems normal, hes a very active and friendly rabbit and is acting as usual. Has anyone got any idea what this is? I'm wondering if it's a separate issue to the pasteurella or not. As I've never seen this before it's hard to know if that glazed look is also some kind of mucus, or maybe a bacterial infection, or even a virus. As for vaccinations, his annual one has just come round as being due to be done again 3 days ago.

I'd really appreciate any insight anyone may have while I wait for the vets to open, thank you!

oh no, such a shock for you.
I am by no means knowledgeable on this but (apart from other things) sounds like he may have a blocked tear duct & it has become infected (???) worth asking the vet if this is a possibility & also have his teeth checked as this may be contributing or a root cause.

good luck at the vet's today & great that you are acting so promptly. xxx

You are doing the right thing in going to your Vet. It could be a cataract. Hope you can get him sorted.

Back